A military man’s take on a budget that stiffs vets while enriching illegal aliens

Marines dismounting from an amphibious assault vehicleThe new budget cuts pensions for vets, including those who were wounded while serving this country, while continuing unchecked the flow of money to illegal aliens.  We’re not shocked, because we’ve learned that, no matter how low our government goes, give it a day and it can go even lower.  The absence of shock, though, doesn’t insulate us from anger and disappointment.  I got the following from a friend who serves and I think it pretty much says everything that needs to be said on the subject:

So I signed a contract with the govt outlining what exactly I would get in exchange for my lifetime of service. Now the govt gets to change the deal yet I am expected to continue to hold up my end of the bargain.

The same government who is complaining about military “entitlements” eating us alive has no issue extending unemployment benefits at the drop of a hat. They also feel someone who has chosen a life of dropping fries and flipping burgers deserves a “living wage.”

Illegal immigrants crossing into USIn the end, those who have chosen a life of service and actually have contributed to society get a pay cut while the leeches and those with their hand out contributing nothing get a reward.

Also, John McCain is a dick. I would expect more support from a POW. This is the height of hypocrisy considering his political career is based on his military service, specifically time spent as a POW.

This entire issue smacks of disloyalty and is particularly galling to those of us who have spent a lifetime of loyal and faithful service.

Comments

1. lee says

i am going to write something that will make me a little unpopular here: I am not terribly sympathetic. Take someone who enlists out of high school, they serve twenty years: they are 38 years old when they retire.THIRTY-EIGHT. They’ve got about THIRTY more years of productivity left before the rsst of us fools retire. They can put in ANOTHER THIRTY YEARS at a civilian gig, accumulating a decent 401(k) before being turned out to pasture. Or they could just stay retired, drawing a pension for another possibly forty years before they hit the age of the average American life span.

Even if they put in thirty years before they retire, that stills leaves them as 48 years old when they retire. About 29 years before the rest of us can even dream about it.

I think the oldest you can be to enlist is 28. Which means if they put in twenty years, they’ll still only be FORTY-EIGHT when they retire. With a good twenty years of productivity left.
    Of course, I feel a lot differently about someone injured in battle, especially someone severely injured who will not be able to hold a regular job. They should not get screwed by this.

• says

You understand that 1 year in a dojo peacefully practicing your hobby is equal to about 5-10 years on the battlefield right?

That doesn’t include the fact that being 20 years under the government thumb like a tool or cog, being told what to do and when to die for something the political leaders thought up in a sex hazed dream, isn’t particularly low stress.

2. Jose says

As someone directly affected by the retirement cuts, I’ll put in my 2 cents.  I am a retired E7 with 20 years of service.

I was able to “retire” at the age of 41.  My pension amounts to approx $21K a year, before taxes.  Yeah, I have a second career, but I can’t afford not to.

I won’t go into detail about all the nonsense I put up with to earn this pension.  I did what I was told, went where I was told, when I was told.  A military career often wrecks  marriages, and it certainly didn’t make mine any easier.

I haven’t seen combat, but I’ve been in combat zones, and supported combat missions.  And yes, there is always a chance of being killed or wounded, which is scary.

But the most sobering moment of my time in service, was when I arrived just outside of Iraq, before the second gulf war.  We were briefed on our objectives when the fighting started.  Our commander said bluntly that we were there to kill the men guarding the border, and then search out and destroy any military assets we could find.

Believe me, it’s one thing to risk your life in the course of your job.  Being ordered to go attack and kill someone is another.

I think I earned this small pension.  I haven’t sacrificed as much as many others, but I was there and I was ready to go when called.

If I thought that this would contribute to a balanced budget, I’d happily endure it.  But the politicians will continue to squander our tax dollars, and I know my little financial sacrifice will be wasted.

• says

Most of us here know or suspect that the money is merely being laundered from American patriots into the Left’s profit industries. I personally suspect sex prostitution and child prostitution rings. ACORN’s still doing that, last my sources checked. They funnel it into things like healthcare, social security, and pork bills. Run it through ACORN type navigators and TSA employees. Then it comes back in the form of “donations” and “dues”. Meanwhile, in the process, a whole lot of operations are funded, that few people know about it.

Have you read On Killing, by Grossman, Jose? I think, other than people who have worked on farms and at slaughterhouses, the stress from being ordered to kill or the stress of exerting enough will to do it, is a foreign language to some. It’s easy to rationalize or justify dealing lethal force against threats or in self defense. It’s much harder to do so when it’s against people who are either also under authority or must obey Hussein on threats.

If I were to word it, I might call it a sort of magnetic repulsion combined with the hesitation to put one’s hand in a blue fire. One can rationalize it and exert the will, saying “we got to do it”. But then as you get closer and closer to doing it, the heat gets hotter, the magnetic repulsion field gets stronger, and your body suddenly is now getting stuck. More and more will power must be exerted. Strong emotions lubricate the action when necessary.

A story I heard from days long gone, which I didn’t understand fully at the time, concerned military leaders ordering their fellows to not die, to protect their buddies, and to make sure they come home alive. I felt, at the time, that violated the motto of accomplishing one’s mission at any costs. But it avoids violating the motto of ensuring one’s death is not in vain. Often times people will fight better when their goals are clear and justified, then if they are trying to do something under authority that they really don’t want to.

The next American civil war hasn’t gone active yet, primarily due to the fact that people’s resolves are still unclear. Motivations and justifications are still unclear. In a fight for liberty, there won’t be many people telling American patriots to pull the trigger. It’ll be up to each individual to choose liberty or tyranny. Nobody will suffer the consequences for them, nobody will tell them to pull the trigger. At least, not in the early unorganized stages.

3. Matt_SE says

Whenever another politician addresses McCain, it is expected that they start with an appreciation of his sacrifice and service, blah, blah, blah.
    I’m sick of McCain. Any goodwill he earned from his service was burned up years ago. He’s been a turncoat to this country and his “fellow” soldiers for years. I use scare quotes around “fellow” because I’m sure McCain does not see himself on equal terms with any other service members.
    McCain is a Quisling.

4. Caped Crusader says

In time of war
    And not before
    God and the soldier
    We adore

I time of peace
    And all things righted
    God is forgotten
    And the soldier slighted

Kipling

Anyone who thinks being a soldier, sailor, or airman is a soft deal should give it a spin for 20 to 30 of the prime years of their life, and still see if they still feel the same way. In the 1950’s, spent 7 1/2 years ln a Ready Reserve Army unit (maintaining an efficiency to be on the line in two weeks if needed) as an E-3. After medical school and internship I received an O-3 commission, served on active duty for 2 years, and remained in the reserve for 30 years ending up as an O-6. Actually doing very little, mostly in the inactive reserve, since  as a surgeon all they were really interested in were my skills,  if necessary in an emergency. With only two years active, no pension, and none deserved. In that era every member of my medical class, including the female, was a veteran; those not already vets, being drafted in the 1961 Berlin Wall-Cuban missle crisis fiasco.

As I have said many times, if you are in the service the only difference between you and Uncle Tom is that they can’t sell your wife and children, but you can be separated, often years at a time. As Jose says, this is very hard on wives and children, causing a high divorce rate. In my own extended family a niece and nephew, (who is a career officer Airborne Ranger) are divorcing. Repeated deployments to no win wars have not helped. Prior to satellites, and serving in far remote areas, such as the Arctic DEW (distant early warning) line, meant you had no communication with your family for long periods of time; as I experienced serving on an icebreaker in the Arctic. The biggest problem today is that the average self centered ill informed American has no idea or appreciation for what those who serve must often endure. The typical Washington political scum also have no appreciation for our service people! Every friend or classmate of my era that I know is a veteran, most for only two years, and have never heard one who has actually served complain about what career military are paid in retirement, or feel they do not deserve that and more.

Then again, maybe being a POW is what damaged his soul, to the point where the Left can easily puppetmaster him.

Hey, who is to say the torture didn’t work? Maybe it only had a delayed effect of a few decades.

6. Jose says

Ymarsakar, I do have On Killing but have yet to read it.  I’ve heard Col Grossman interviewed and have been impressed.

I grew up on a farm and have helped slaughter animals.  But being told your job today is to kill someone in cold blood is on a whole other level.

Lee, I generally disapprove of the ridiculous pensions governments hand out to civil servants with their thuggish unions.  To me, the military pensions are different, and for the reasons Caped Crusader and Gringo say:  it’s the only government job where the people sign up saying, “In exchange for payment later (because active duty salaries are small), I promise to give up most of my civil rights, my family life, a stable home, and, if needed, my health and my life.”  That’s a fair deal.

Hmmm.  Maybe the military needs a union….

In any event, to leave open millions of dollars in payments to illegal aliens while cutting military benefits is just plain wrong.

Book, remember back in around 50 BC in Italy? The Roman Senate refused to pay the pensions of the Roman Legions, either domestic or recruited on newly conquered/foreign soil. So the Legion leaders had to pay for the disabled, the widows, and so forth.
    Julius Caesar was said to be one such leader. Much of the instabilities that Julius Caesar wanted to fix, was created by the Senate. And instead of Caesar creating a civil war, those Senators created a civil war due to their own greed and foolishness.

Also, the hypocrites people call activists for raising minimum wage, do not in fact pay minimum wage to their workers and housekeepers. Let’s all keep that in mind as well. So it’s not like them cutting the budget is going to help us.