Back to School Open Thread

Victorian posy of pansiesWinter break this year was very pleasant.  As I may have written before, while I’m not a big fan of small children, I really like teenagers, especially the teenagers my kids bring home.  We live in a tight-knit community and my house is often a gathering spot for the kids in the neighborhood.  When our pool is non-operational (as it is every winter), the kids swarm my living room for old-fashioned parlor games and new-fangled board games.  (My favorites are Telestrations, the Telephone Game Sketched Out!, The Resistance, and Quelf Board Game, all of which make me laugh.)  Nicely, the kids always ask me to play, and genuinely seem to want my participation.  Playing board games turns out to be one of the few things I’d rather do than blog.

Still, the kids are back in school, and Mr. Bookworm is almost back at work, so the house is almost back to me.  Since I’m a person who enjoys solitude, despite being quite gregarious, I can’t wait until it’s just me and the dogs (and the computer, of course).  When I’m alone, I can think.  I haven’t had any thoughts yet, but I’ve saved up other people’s thoughts for you:

The DiploMad is just like me, only smarter, more articulate, and with more real world experience.  But other than that, I would have written this post about the state of the world as we enter 2014.  (Hat tip:  Tom Elia.)

Mike McDaniel is always kind enough to say that I gave him the idea for a post.  Reading his post about non-falsifiable and infallible theories (such as guns and global warming), it’s quite clear that he didn’t need me.  He’s brilliant enough on his own.

Speaking of non-falsifiable theories, fellow Watcher’s Council member Simply Jews has a scathing indictment about the BBC’s approach to reporting on climate change — and even located its Ground Zero for scientific ignorance.

Those Americans who still think feminism is about equal pay for equal work need to understand that, nowadays, it’s about postcolonial milk.  This is the horror that academia has wrought on a legitimate demand, one stretching back centuries, that women not be denied education and opportunities on the sole ground that they are women.

I’m beginning to understand Obama’s approach to Obamacare.  Because it bears his name, it’s his law, and he can therefore do whatever the heck he wants with it.  Constitutional rules about the separation of powers — especially lawmaking versus executive — are for the little people.  A man of Roman columns and control over the oceans is not (in his own mind at least) a little person.  (I bet if you ask him, he explain that he brought about the polar vortex to impress upon Americans that global warming means climate change that freezes 90% of the U.S.)

If Pope Francis doesn’t make Asa Bibi a worldwide cause célèbre, he may well be the Leftist shill the Leftist shills think he is.

I may not be financially savvy, but when I’ve seen articles about Obama policies once again forcing banks to make bad loans so that poor risk people can buy real estate, I think “Hey, we’re heading for another housing market crash.”  I’m not the only one thinking that.  Add to that the Feds’ money printing, which has created a stock market bubble based not on value but on paper money, and I foresee a recession that will make 2008 look cute by comparison.

The War on Poverty is over . . . and poverty won.  This fifty year failure is an indictment of government market management, but nobody’s paying attention.

Okay, I’ve now depressed myself.  I’m going to walk the dogs.

Comments

1. JKB says

I beg to disagree.  The War on Poverty is over and the free market won it.  The only question left is whether the Democrats and Progs are going to give away the win as they seem to do in every war.

Here is the graphe that shows the decline in the worst poverty, less than $1 a day, world-wide.  Why?  Globalization, free trade and the free market, American style.  Sadly, the latter has been taking a beating of late, even in America.
    aei-ideas.org…chart-of-the-greatest-and-most-remarkable-achievement-in-human-history-and-one-you-probably-never-heard-about/
    CONVERSABLE ECONOMIST: The Poverty Rate: Income and Consumption Estimates
    See this graph specifically: 3.bp.blogspot…poverty+2.jpg

2. JKB says

I was just realizing.  The government declares many wars and “police” actions against things but generally makes a mess of them.  But upon wider thought, the market wins these wars.

War on Poverty – government is a mess, market won (see poverty level based on consumption spending)

War on global warming – government has created food shortages and wasted billions on bad “green” tech.  Market has reduced our carbon output more than any country that impose carbon controls

War on oil dependency  – see above.  Market in opposition to government policies has opened up fracking and energy security

Food shortages – government has ineffective programs.  Market gave us supermarkets bursting with fresh produce year round.

That’s just to name a few.  Sadly, government turns on the market and makes things worse for those whom the market helps so much.

The market is essentially a simulation run assuming free will in individuals.

The government is a force imposed from above that strips free will, creativity, and individualism, in order to make slaves and cogs for the (war) machine. It’s not like they hate bombing brown people, witness Libya and Syria. They were all up for that. And Afghanistan, killing Americans, Pakis, and Afghans all together at once. It is the war machine devoted for fighting against tyrants that they dislike, as it brings all too close to home what the same thing would do to Detroit or Chicago. All these resources would be better put up against the class warfare, war against the Catholics, war against anti homosexuals, war against non unionized teachers, war against white haters, for example, back at home. That’s what they think.

Basically, the free market can’t win when everyone in a city is zombiefied and turned into a slave. There can be no free market, when there is no free humans floating around to simulate conditions.

5. Matt_SE says

On feminism:
    My views on the “post-colonial milk” article are of a piece with my views about the [queering of Norman Rockwell]  article you wrote:
    The academy has been taken over by the “[fill-in-the-blank]-studies” groups. Their malign influence has permeated all the social sciences and has even made inroads into the hard sciences. As another article (sorry, I forget who) noted, even if the explicit dogma isn’t accepted in the hard sciences the idea that some ideas are “not fit for debate” has led to the abandonment of skepticism. Does the phrase “the science is settled” ring a bell?
    They view everything through their own perverse lens, and every problem looks like their particular “nail.”

Per my Rockwell comments, “dysfunction this great must’ve been caused by the academy.”

Paralleling JKB, I would say that poverty as understood by most of the world essentially doesn’t exist in the US.  The ‘poverty line’ doesn’t reflect in-kind subsidies, and may be politically manipulated for all I know.  People who are defined as ‘poor’, but have access to health care, cable TV, computers, housing, smart phones, cars, and most importantly, the opportunity for upward mobility, cannot in any way be described as poverty-stricken.