No more Firefox for me — I don’t do business with fascists

Firefox logoAs of today, I am no longer a Firefox user.  I think that, after you read about Brendan Eich’s travails, you’ll agree that you don’t want to be a Firefox user anymore either.

Back in 2008, when Prop. 8 was on the ballot asking California voters to legalize gay marriage, Mozilla co-founder and CEO Brendan Eich donated $1,000 to support traditional marriage.  Keep in  mind that, at the time Eich did this, President Barack Obama was on record supporting traditional marriage, a position he switched only after he’d secured his second term in the White House.

The same-sex marriage tyrants, having gotten hold of this information, didn’t waste their time doing something as enlightened as persuading Eich (as Obama was apparently persuaded) that his attitude was on the wrong side of history.  Instead, they did to him what they didn’t do to Obama:  they forced him to leave his company.  They destroyed his livelihood.  They abandoned reasoned debate in favor of thuggish tactics.

I’ve been unhappy with Firefox for awhile because it crashes constantly.  Inertia, however, kept me with it.  Today, hearing about the totalitarian attack on Eich for his temerity in supporting marriage as it has been understood since the dawn of human kind (man, equipped with tab A, ready to mate before God and civil society with woman, equipped with slot B), put an end to that inertia.  I’ve deleted Firefox from my hard drive.

I’m currently operating in Chrome.  I fully understand that the Google guys are also to the left of Left, but at least they haven’t (yet) destroyed someone’s life work for daring to support the same position that the whole world, through all of history, supported up until a few years ago, and that Obama either supported or lied about supporting up until only two years ago.

If you have suggestions for a good browser that doesn’t carry with it a totalitarian streak, please let me know.

Comments

I remember people telling me we were in an echo chamber and that Democrats should be compromised with because bipartisan whatever.

People in California really don’t understand what an ECHO CHAMBER is. First, fix that problem.

2. Spartacus says

Sorry in advance, but many thoughts on this one.

1) Well.  Classical liberalism was nice while it lasted, wasn’t it?

2) Granted, this isn’t the first time The Left has blacklisted someone and targeted them for personal destruction, but this seems a new low.  Mr. Eich wasn’t giving an interview to GQ about his show on A&E, and he wasn’t appearing in a TV ad with a Republican candidate for office.  He simply donated a very sub-Koch amount to a political cause which most Californian voters supported.  And honestly, ever work on a political campaign?  People in his income bracket give $1000 like the rest of us pledge $20 to elementary school kids doing a walk-a-thon: pocket change tossed out because a friend was going around and collecting.  And this was five or six years ago!  And wasn’t there a fight to get the donation records released, or am I confusing my ballot initiatives?  The swiftness with which he was brought down, over such a small divergence from a party line that wasn’t necessarily the party line at the time is fairly chilling.  This was really quite a reach.

3) And as with the effort to get Phil Robertson tossed from his own show, the tossing of Mr. Eich from an organization he co-founded really seems quite over the top (or under the bottom, perhaps).  But I suspect in both cases that such chutzpah was more a feature than a bug.  Like the mafia boss who used to send $70,000 cash by courier from one building to another building a couple blocks away.  The courier?  A frail, unarmed, elderly lady who shuffled down the street with a shopping bag full of small, unmarked bills.  Rough neighborhood.  Known, regular schedule.  Everyone knew who she was, and what she carried.  And nobody dared touch her.  Easiest way to transfer cash?  No.  Fastest?  No.  Most practical?  No.  But because of all these things, the message was all the more clear.

4) Mr. Eich will be fine.  Forget about co-founding Mozilla: he only needs one line on his resume: “1) INVENTED JAVASCRIPT.”  JavaScript is the glue that holds most of the Internet together, including this fine blog.  He’s one of those who could show up for a job interview dressed in a chicken suit with a martini in one hand and a couple more already down the hatch, insist on skipping straight to the discussion on compensation, and get away with it.

On the other end of things, if you are a parking lot attendant making $10 per hour, you can lick envelopes for politically “incorrect” campaigns and probably not suffer financially as a result because you are below the radar.  Winston Smith takes walks into your neighborhood in rapt fascination, but he and his kind certainly don’t live there.

But for most professionals seeking to make what political difference they can, in an age of campaign finance disclosure, petition signature disclosure, and the occasional oaf of a candidate who indiscreetly publishes the names of all his volunteers on his campaign website, this is thoroughly chilling.  As it is intended to be.

5) Michael Barone, that noted noter of demographic trends, has noted that geographically, we are splitting along ideological lines: red areas are reddening and blue ares are bluing.  Will this trend also spread to business?

6) For what it’s worth — and this is certainly a two-edged sword — conservative websites can strike back against Firefox.  A website can tell which browser someone is using, and treat different browsers differently.  Usually, this takes the form of telling someone that the site displays best with a newer version of their browser, or that it really doesn’t display well on certain browsers at all.  (Lazy!)  But it could also display a small notice to users that they are using a browser produced by intolerant, illiberal blacklisters; block some functionality; or stop them cold and tell them that browser is not welcome at that site.  This would be done through the use of JavaScript, which was invented by… oh, small world, isn’t it?  [Update: Looks like someone else had the same idea.]

7) You are wrong, Mrs. Bookworm: President Obama has always been a firm supporter of gay marriage.  And we have always been at war with Oceania.  Please try to keep up with these unchanging facts.

(Full disclosure: I am a hypocrite, but want to be open and honest about that.  For geeky technical reasons, I am up to my armpits in Firefox, and it will take some time to get out.)

Sorry again about the verbosity!

• BlatantYak says

Excellent, I’ve been pointing out the Java thing for two days and everyone of them yelling suddenly stopped.  And the server side is something I hadn’t thought about. I guess they better start re-writing this website yesterday….

• says

Very entertaining comment, Spartacus.

Like Martha Stewart, the Left needs examples made. If only to divert the public eye from the insider trading every Democrat politician does with the aid of Congress tips.

Striking back at Firefox the company doesn’t seem like a specific enough tactic. Personally destroying the people who profit and who came to power on the heels of Eich, would be more efficient. After all, if Firefox expenses go up, the head honchos will merely get a 40% raise instead of a 60% raise, will only take 50 plane trips per year instead of 55, and the costs will be born by other people, smaller people. Personal destruction is more efficient, but assassinations generally don’t stop wars.

3. BlatantYak says

I guess you won’t be using the Internet anymore either because Eich invented Java therefore you must stop using that as well. Do you drive a Ford? Henry Ford was a very strong anti-Semite. I guess you refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby and Chick Filet too. Are you starting to see how stupid your stance is? Don’t be a sheep.

• says

BlatantYak: I’m not boycotting Eich, so why would I boycott his invention? I boycott Ford because they make a lousy product, not because a hundred years ago Ford was a revolting SOB. Even then, I wouldn’t have set out personally to destroy Ford. I just wouldn’t have bought his product, but I wouldn’t want my money to line his pocket. If there were Hobby Lobbys and Chick-Fil-As in my neck of the woods, I’d do the same personal analysis. Do I want my money to go to people who (a) say that the government should not be able to force them to buy products that run counter to their religious beliefs and (b) believe that marriage is a heterosexual institution? In both cases, yes, I would spend my money there. Even if I didn’t agree, rather than demonizing them, I’d just shop elsewhere. There’s nothing wrong with putting your money where your values are. There’s plenty wrong with mobilizing vast national forces to destroy people, especially to destroy them over “rights” that didn’t even exist four years ago.

4. GingerB says

What I don’t understand is their blindness to their own hypocrisy and the fact that there just might be some kind of backlash.  Think Chic-fil-a (?) I do believe they’ve become counter-productive- and I say that as a “live and let live” Southern Baptist Conservative.

5. Jose says

Disappointing, as I had standardized to Firefox over the past several years, and like the security add-ons.

I don’t trust Google Chrome, which admits it reads our email, don’t trust IE either, and Apples Safari is run by AGW Nazis.  That doesn’t leave much of a choice.

I’m going to try Comodo Dragon, which reputedly uses Chrome code, without the user tracking, and with enhanced security.  From wikipedia:  “Sporting a similar interface to Google Chrome, Dragon does not implement Chrome’s user tracking and some other potentially privacy-compromising features, and provides additional security measures, such as indicating the authenticity and relative strength of a website’s SSL certificate.”

6. Tara S says

Unfortunately, in my experience, Firefox and Chrome seem to be the best browsers out there. I use Chrome exclusively now, but I used to use Firefox and loved it because of how much you can customize it (plus, its privacy options are probably THE best there are). So I don’t have any great recommendations.

I have heard some good things about Opera, though.

• says

Most of the cash from Chrome comes from data mining your browsing history, to sell ads. They may not sell them to the NSA or to advertisers, but Google type ads do use them based on your browsing history. So make sure to purge all of your browsing history every once in awhile.

So for those who feel guilty, there are ways of decreasing Chrome’s influence, if only a little bit.

7. Katja says

I’ve used the Opera browser on and off for close to 15 years, and don’t have any major complaints about it.  My main browser right now, though, is one called Iron from a German company called SRWare.  It’s a Chrome clone (based on the same open source Chromium base) but they’ve stripped out a lot of what makes Chrome worrisome.  They don’t update it as often as Chrome, and I think that for that reason, it can sometimes get a little buggy, but by and large, I’ve been really happy with it.  (It also is close enough to Chrome that most Chrome extensions & add ons work with it without any problem.)

For those who desire to stop using Mozilla’s Firefox but are ok with browsers that use its source code, try IceDragon.  Developed and distributed by Comodo its a more secure Firefox clone; it has firefox’s look and feel, can import its settings and use most of its plugins and extensions.  K-meleon, a much slimmed down version of firefox , is another option.
    Also (for those who don’t know) Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP on April 8.  If you value the security of your data don’t use it; even running an XP machine on your network will be dangerous.