Odds and ends for a sleepy Tuesday afternoon

Victorian posy of pansiesVictor Davis Hanson puts his finger on something important: It’s not that the federal government has grown in size under Obama; it’s that it’s grown in arrogance. It no longer makes even a pretense of being the people’s servant. It knows it’s our master.

***

I’ve always enjoyed reading books about nature’s “germ warfare,” such as Rats, Lice and History, Plagues and Peoples, and Napoleon’s Glands and Other Ventures in Biohistory.

These books remind us that, throughout history, nations have often been won or lost, not because of battles between men with swords or guns, but because of battles between germs and immune systems. The Plague of Athens, Justinian’s Plague, and the Black Death reshaped the ancient and medieval world.

In somewhat more modern times, indigenous people in the Americas didn’t lose their territorial control just because they had only Stone Age weapons to fight guns. They also lost because their immune systems were unable to withstand the scourge of diseases that European immune systems had already tamed.

This historical knowledge makes me absolutely neurotic when I read stories about the most dangerous thing of all crossing our Southern border: germs. Unchecked, uncontrolled, untreated germs. It won’t be the cartels that kill us, it’ll be the doe-eyed two-year-old harboring a pandemic disease.

***

The Weekly Standard has unearthed a video that perfectly explains the Obama administration’s foreign policy. Why else would it have ignored the Kurds’ timely offer to destroy ISIS while it was still possible?

***

Tongue firmly in cheek, Charlie Martin explains how disastrous Dubya’s endless presidency really was.

***

Anti-gun logic with kids as targets

Hello IRS

Who really should get a raise

Stop trying to change the 2nd amendment

You idiots still love me

Comments

America may never learn until it has a Quasi state of its own. What is a quasi state? The PLO would set one up wherever it went and they got kicked out of every nation that got stuck with one. Jordan, Lebanon and Tunisia. They even had their own license plates so they knew who to extort and who to leave alone while getting tax monies that would ordinarily go to the actual government. Now the Jihadis are doing it on a bigger stage and across countries. We’ll have one in the good ol’ USA. We are not immune and their are DemProgs who think its a good idea.

Book said,

One day, I think our social scientists, in a more enlightened era, will understand as an axiom that the bigger a government gets, the more arrogant it gets, and the more it exercises and seizes power, and believes it is the master of its citizens.

In other words, in that more enlightened era, we will understand as a basic principle that to let government grow large is to let it enslave you. There will be no debate about large government being good.

Of course, for those future anthropologists to understand that big government is ALWAYS bad, we will need to provide them an object lesson first, here in America, about the horror of letting government grow too large. We’re well on our way to doing that.

3. Kevin_B says

I think is probably going to sound stupid or childish, but I am in need of some advice.

There is a heavy metal festival being organized soon not that far from where I live. I have attended the same festival before, but my experiences last year weren’t very positive, and until recently I didn’t even think about attending again, and yet, now I would like to. However, the fact that I’d like to go is really to only argument in favor.

Given my experiences of last year, what I have read about various people’s attitudes towards and criticisms of heavy metal culture, as well some other stuff, I have many arguments why I should perhaps say no to any future attendance of the festival.

What could or should I do?

• says

I would avoid going, but for reasons of my own:

(1) I was blessed with exceptionally good hearing. Concerts are so loud, I know, just know, that they’re damaging my ears. I already have lousy eyes; I don’t need lousy ears too.

(2) I don’t like crowds. Aside from a visceral dislike of having too many people pressing around me, my intellect tells me that crowds can be volatile, and therefore dangerous.

(3) The energy of a life performance is nice, but the performance is seldom as good as what’s been nicely packaged in a studio. Britney Spears is an extreme example, but the fact is that few people sing as well in “real life” as they do after some studio magic. Since I’m not a live music purist, I’d rather hear the good recording than the bad performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-jPPWlcno

(4) If I haven’t liked an experience before, I’m disinclined to try it again, unless there’s been some major change in either me or the experience. Life is too short (especially mine, now that I’m on the downhill side of aging) to spend doing things I’m reasonably certain won’t give me pleasure.

• lee says

Ditto all the above PLUS:

For the cost of a ticket, one can BUY the recordings (It used to be a couple of albums or a couple of CD’s, now it’s a LOT of music files) and listen to them over and over and over again.

I now limit my concert going to ONE old time rocker. (It used to be two, but about three years ago, I saw the other one after having not seen him for DECADES, and his voice is almost gone. It was very sad.)

And, of course, to going to see my husband perform!

The Left has deployed 10% of their strategic assets, the ones prepared for their war on humanity. If they should deploy 50-100% of their assets, humanity will either have won or will have been enslaved by the Left for countless centuries.

• JKB says

I’m not sure I agree that the Left can win. They certainly can exploit many of the weak-minded (especially intellectuals) while they mouth the words but violate the principles of “all men being equal”.

But their attacks on white, heterosexual, English-speaking men for that very concept undermines their long term ability to dominate. Sure, equality under the law, democratic representation, the free market, the right to profit from your ideas, weren’t truly equal as they were developed. There was slavery, women held as second class citizens, minorities suppressed, but, those ideas, first only applied to Englishmen in the literal sense, found fertile ground in reason and thought.

Once concepts only available in the game of thrones, soon were claimed by regular gentlemen. Once held by the Englishman, the challenge arose as to why “all men” didn’t include women, slaves, Irishmen, the population of the colonial empire, etc. As each challenge over ran the bias of those in power, the concept spread. A hundred years ago, there were few democracies, now Democracy is the most prevalent form of government, even if many are in name only. Few despots and kings dare not stand for election lest their populations revolt. That they can remain in power by doing the show and spouting the dialogue without the reality is sad, but is becoming increasingly difficult.

Human freedom is now accepted as the norm. This was not so when our little experiment was begun so long ago. What we must work against is those who would sell that freedom, wholesale, for all, for the illusion of “free stuff”. We must also revolt against even the “intellectuals” on the conservative side who embrace a constrained concept of human liberty due to their desire to be included in the cocktail parties and the indoctrination at our famous but least innovative universities.

Picking up and going in another direction with JKB’s “I’m not sure I agree that the Left can win.”

I am sure … the “right” doesn’t know its left from its right. I’ve been pondering the Mississippi primary run-off results (Cochran a/k/a Cockroach vs McDaniel). What exactly do you call Southern black Dems who vote Republican – Uncle Roves? Uncle McCains? The Left has accused the Right of not being inclusive and you know what – the Left was “RIGHT” in this instance.

• lee says

RE; Medtronic

They are not the only one. I think Walgreen’s is doing the same thing: acquiring a foreign company and moving their HQ there. And someone else is doing the same thing, too.