Even before you check out the winners, placers, and show-ers in last week’s Watcher’s Council cycle, take a minute to read the weekly forum, with Council members and their friends discussing whether modern America is a house divided against itself. And now, to last week’s results:
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
““Is there any point in public debate in a society where hardly anyone has been taught how to think, while millions have been taught what to think?” “ – Peter Hitchens
“The very power of [textbook writers] depends on the fact that they are dealing with a boy: a boy who thinks he is ‘doing’ his ‘English prep’ and has no notion that ethics, theology, and politics are all at stake. It is not a theory they put into his mind, but an assumption, which ten years hence, its origin forgotten and its presence unconscious, will condition him to take one side in a controversy which he has never recognized as a controversy at all.” – CS Lewis, The Abolition of Man
“Schools train you to be ignorant” -Frank Zappa
“Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool” – Plato
This week’s winning essay,Bookworm Room’s Public schools — un-educating Americans, one student at a time is a compelling look at exactly what the Left is doing to indoctrinate children in the K-12 levels to support their agenda. Here’s a slice:
I was livid this morning. One of my children asked me to quiz her about rhetorical fallacies, which she was studying for a test. The teacher had put the examples together himself and they included such gems as saying it’s a logical fallacy to argue that guns are tools in the same way hammers are tools. Another example was that it’s a logical fallacy to argue against gay marriage. To give students an insight into good arguments against logical fallacies, he directed the students to Jon Stewart’s hyper-partisan The Daily Show. Indoctrination much?
When I complained to my resident Leftist, all I got was bewilderment. Guns are evil, gay marriage should be accepted by all, and Jon Stewart was the smartest, most informative man in television — so why am I fussing? The fact that all of those represent partisan views and the principle that they therefore should not be introduced on the taxpayers’ dime completely eluded him. School, after all, is there to teach students how to “think.”
School indoctrination is a sore subject with me, since it’s endemic in Marin, as it is in any school district that has a teacher’s union. Math is tainted both by Common Core and the fuzzy math approach that’s meant to give a pass to women and minorities who apparently struggle with actual math (you know, the kind where the results are correct).
As someone who’s bad at math (Common Core’s crazy complications are familiar to me because that’s the way they were teaching back in the San Francisco public schools’ 1960s/1970s experimental phase), I recognize the advantage of being able to reach roughly correct answers for such inconsequential things as calculating tips, measuring something that doesn’t need precise dimensions, or keeping vague track of a family budget. I also recognize what a weak reed this fuzzy math is. When the situation demands precision, I struggle.
English as taught in America’s public schools is a joke. I’ve already shared here my fury at the way an English teacher in Sandy Hook’s wake, handed out to the students strong gun-control articles. I politely protested (because my child, after all, was a hostage to grades in his class, but got nowhere). While the students get Leftist politics and lots of sex in their English classrooms, the students emerge without fundamentals such as grammar, spelling, structure, and narrative. Eileen Toplansky describes in heartbreaking detail trying to teach under-educated American youngsters when they reach college.
As the recently AP U.S. History fight showed, history is taught through a purely Marxist, anti-American lens. The books subtly and not-so-subtly tell those pliant young minds that America is the root of all evil and that the purifying answer to our nation’s wrongs is top down collectivism.
It doesn’t seem to occur to these geniuses that the things about which they complain — whether slavery, Indian relocations, Jim Crow laws, etc. — were only able to happen because of government power. The corollary is that diffusing government power dilutes a nation’s ability to do things that bug Leftists.
Typically, each Leftist cadre assumes that, when it acquires unlimited power, it will get it right. That’s why Bernie, who shrilly screams for a government that uses its guns to confiscate individual wealth, is looked upon as some type of savior, rather than the power-hungry, crazed madman he really is.
Lastly, there’s the wreckage of science in America’s public schools. The kids still get taught useful basic stuff, such as chemistry and biology, but the higher up they go, the more tainted it gets.
I have in front of me the textbook used in our local school’s AP Environmental Science class. Published by Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning, G. Tyler Miller’s and Scott E.Spoolman’s 14th edition of Environmental Science purports to be a comprehensive textbook, teaching children everything they need to know about the natural world that surrounds us.
In the introduction to teachers (p. xiii), we learn that the book is all about “sustainability — the integrating theme of this book.” This theme leads to the boast that, in the new edition,
Climate change is emphasized with new coverage on the warming of the world’s lakes, climate change tipping points, and innovative [and, no doubt, prohibitively expensive] efforts to reduce methane and soot emissions.
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Mark Steyn with an interesting piece, The Clock Ticks On submitted by Joshuapundit.
Now, Mark Steyn is always worth reading but this particular piece is unique in how Steyn examines the accelerating dhimmitude of the West in his very special way. Do read it.
Here are this week’s full results. Only Don Surber was unable to vote this week, but was not subject to the usual 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 4 2/3 votes!–Bookworm Room – Public schools — un-educating Americans, one student at a time
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –The Independent Sentinel –Government Doesn’t Want to Take Over, They Just Want to Control Everything!
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes –GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – The Balouchistan/Pakistan War
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –Nice Deb – Lay Catholic From Romania Gives Synod on the Family a Piece of her Mind
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –The Noisy Room – Ukraine Rebels Give Rise To A ‘New Cult Of Stalin’
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –The Right Planet – Surviving a Knife Attack … in the Real World
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –The Glittering Eye –I Wonder What He Means
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Maggie’s Notebook – Department of Defense Schools Aligned to Common Core: God Help Our Military Children
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Don Surber – Trump Beat The S&P 500
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote–Joshuapundit–The Daily Show’s Ratings Collapse With Trevor Noah
- First place with 3 votes! –Mark Steyn – The Clock Ticks Onsubmitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 2 votes –Louder With Crowder –Australia’s Gun Ban Results in More Guns Than Ever…New Findings
submitted by Maggie’s Notebook
- Second place *t* with 2 votes –Jack Cashill/American Thinker–Hillary’s ‘Genocide’ Lie submitted by Nice Deb
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes –Dr. Sarah Condor/PolitiChicks –What is Socialism (Really) About? A Former Czech Answers. submitted byThe Right Planet
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –Elliot Abrams /Pressure Points –Abbas, Hamas and NIMBY submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote –Joseph Klein/FrontPage – UN Workers Fuel The Palestinian Rampage submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Fourth place *t* with 1 vote – Rachel Lu/The Federalist – I Want My Husband To Have A Gun On Campus submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Daniel Greenfield/FrontPage–‘Frustrated’ Muslims Can’t Stop Killing Jews…And Everyone Else submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Patrick Bahzad/Sic Semper Tyrannis – MAP ONLY: Where the “big one” is gonna come fromsubmitted by The Glittering Eye
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, andyou won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.