I haven’t blogged about climate change lately because any serious blogs about science change require science talk — data and stuff — and I simply haven’t had the energy to acquaint myself with and regurgitate all those numbers. After all, that’s what the marvelous Watt’s Up With That blog is for. They do the science so you don’t have to.
Not knowing the numbers, though, hasn’t kept me from knowing a few principles with absolute certainty. Here are my principles:
- Al Gore is an idiot and a con man. If he advances global warming, there’s a very good chance it’s false. Knowing that saved me from damaging credulity.
- The earth has warmed and cooled repeatedly. As any history student knows, in the early middle ages, the earth was warmer than it is now, which is why Greenland wasn’t called Snow and Ice Land. A mini Ice Age hit in the late middle ages, which is why pictures of royals in the time of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I show them attired in such heavy, furred clothes. It wasn’t just for fashion, it was for warmth. The Thames actually froze while Elizabeth was queen. The earth started warming at the end of the 18th century. We’re at the tail end of that warming period.
- Science cannot predict next week’s weather with any accuracy. How can it predict the next bazillion years of the earth’s warmth. Moreover, the temperature gauges upon which “scientists” rely are placed randomly and, quote often, in positions that attract warm from heat vents, airplanes, etc.
- Climate Gate showed the leading climate “scientists” lying about and suppressing facts like crazy. They wouldn’t have to do that if the facts supported their theories.
- The sun is bigger and more important than we puny humans are.
- Pollution is awful. I remember the filthy air and water in the late 1960s and early 1970s. There is much virtue to being good stewards over our earth and using our wealth and knowledge to keep our environment clean. This is not, however, the same as turning ourselves back into a pre-industrial Third World nation to appease an overheated Gaia.
- When global warming “stopped,” and the Left suddenly announced that henceforth we would deal with “climate change,” not “global warming,” that was a sure sign that there was no global warming. When everything in the world fit neatly into the “climate change” theory, even if today’s facts proved that yesterday’s theories were false, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the whole anthropogenic global warming/climate change thing was a money-making scam for some and an article of blind faith for others. Obama summarized that latter point when he had the audacity to say, after he won the Democrat primary, that “this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal.” When a Democrat with a shady background declares himself the Messiah, you’re being scammed.
With this knowledge behind me, I am not the slightest bit surprised to learn that the mainstream media is finally catching up to the fact that climate change isn’t happening. As you and I know, it is now, and always was, a way to enrich the cognoscenti, and to transfer First World wealth to anybody but the First World (including the scam artists at the leading edge of this con). Sure, the faithful are still trying to claim that something awful is happening even thought nothing is happening at all, but those of us who refused to drink the Kool-Aid know that we’re finally seeing the end of this decades’ long scam, one that cost Americans billions of dollars and lowered their standard of living.
Here’s one thing I can guarantee, though: The Left, its actors and acolytes, will never apologize for the children made terrified by the thought of a burning earth, or for the billions of dollars and Euros and Yen wasted on this shell game. Instead, they’ll let a decent period go by during which time they don’t report on the earth’s climate at all, and then they’ll come up with a new scam to take our money and make us very afraid.