I love small towns

I've rhapsodized about small towns before. Today came another reminder about why, despite Hollywood's recent spate of "small towns are evil places" type movies, at least some small towns are, in fact, lovely places to live:

A duck was reunited with her newborn brood Monday after Marin Humane Society workers and Kentfield firefighters rescued the ducklings from a storm drain in a parking lot off Sir Francis Drake Boulevard.

Mark Litwin, president of Remington Partners Inc. at 919 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., noticed a duck hovering over the drain when he arrived for work at 9 a.m.

"I guess you could say I was a first responder," Litwin said. "There were a lot of nervous workers in our building. The mother duck was waiting impatiently nearby."

Humane Society personnel and Kentfield firefighters, removed the cast-iron grate over the drain and scooped out nine ducklings that Battalion Chief Michael Hadfield estimated were a day old or so.

"We made a mad dash to save them," Hadfield said. "Nine of them were stuck in the storm drain. … The last we saw them, they were all happily swimming down the creek."

By the way, I found the charming duckling picture here, a site that has a lot of other farm-related pics.

Comments

1. Patrick O'Hannigan says

Speaking of the small-town ethos: the counter guy at the corner convenience store lent me his toilet plunger the other day. He doesn’t sell or stock such things among the candy, beer, and newspapers, but he knew that my only alternative was a twenty-minute drive to the full-size grocery store. He knew my face, and knew I’d bring his plunger back later the same morning.

2. Patrick O'Hannigan says

I meant also to say that I really like the way you used “rhapsodized.” Good word, that, and too seldom used.

I rhapsodize about our friendship, time to time.

Crime is higher in big cities than small towns. Even if you equalize the population. Because it is a natural deterence to crime when everyone knows everyone else, and there aren’t a lot of “big city enclaves ” to hide out in.

There’s also the shame factor, which is present in a homogenous culture like those present in small towns.

I think the best way to use rare words is to take advantage of both the denotative and connotative definitions. The dictionary and the contextual definitions of a word. English is a very descriptive language because two words don’t exactly mean the same thing, there are shades of meanings, which are covered by the many many synonymous words.

I adhere to the meta-golden rule. Treat your inferiors the way you would like your superiors to treat you. It is amazing how effective and broad reaching this simple principle becomes.

Would that I could do it, I’d move to a small town myself. I spent three years in Lebanon, IL, which is about 30 miles from St. Louis. Everyone knew everyone, I got to play outside until the lights came on, the only crime we knew of was when my bike got stolen. All in all, it was nice. But our family never really felt like we “connected” with the townspeople. We lived there, attended the activities in town, and participated in them, but never really felt like we belonged. I think as much as small towns work, there might be a sense of xenophobia in some of them. That’s a lot of human nature, though, as people tend to prefer routine to change (talk about a large generalization, if you disagree, I understand and you don’t have to explain why I’m wrong).

The small town in which I live has the virtue of being a bedroom community — that is, it’s allied to a big urban area. That means that it’s not geographically isolated, nor does it have an old, settled population that is hostile to newcomers. It’s simply filled with a lot of people with shared values, almost all of which revolve around family.

8. Kevin says

As someone who used to live in the city but now lives in a small town, this picture reminded me of an incident today on my way to work. Two chipmunks were playing together and ran out into the road, one immediately saw my car and ran off into the bushes but the other stood petrified so I stopped, allowing it to get away safely. I don’t miss city living at all!

I was only doing 70 on Highway 32 (I think) in eastern KY when I bagged my first buck…..certainly did a number on the Civic. See OgBlog.net for photos — we’re very fortunate not to have been squashed by an Odocoileus!

Which is good as new, now — thanks very much to Liberty Mutual, who didn’t total it.

10. Kevin says

Next day, same chipmunks, same scenario–I’m afraid the one that’s pulling the deer in the headlights routine isn’t going to make it at this rate. And speaking of deer in the headlights, anyone doing 80mph during deer season (when they’re moving due to all the hunters in the woods) is implicitly taking their life into their own hands.

I love Ymarsakar’s meta-golden rule. My wife taught me that one years ago because Mom raised me a snob. Thank God that’s been thoroughly scrubbed by a good woman!

We recently bought two acres in the Sierra foothills near Clovis. As a boy raised in Tokyo who’s spent most of his adult life in Orange County, I daydream often, rhapsodize even, about when we’ll move there in a few years.

The reason why the meta-golden rule is so much of a favorite to me, is because murderous little shats like terroists that torture little girls and blow up children having fun around a US vehicle, can be treated by the US(a superior) in the same exact way the terroists treat their inferiors (women and children). It is not justified by any law or methodology other than the FREE WILL and choice of the terroists themselves, when they decided to treat their inferiors in a specific manner.

There are all kinds of problems to revenge and vengeance. But most of it is solved instantaneously by the meta-golden rule.

By the way, for the more compassionate around us. The meta-golden rule is for you too. If you somehow kidnap a woman and then release her without it coming to a gun battle, you should be treated with the same mercy by the superior court that you had shown to an inferior, the woman in your power. Thus is justice accomplished. people get what they deserve, no more and no less, and what people deserve is NOT an arbitrary thing decided by aloof professors but by the individual, you. You decide how to live your life and what punishments or rewards you deserve, the rest of us with the firing squad can only enforce the consequences to your decision, we can never make it for you. We can never make you kill someone for pleasure nor can we make you save someone’s life.

The problem with the meta-golden rule, of course, is that in today’s tolerant, correct society, we are not allowed to have inferiors or superiors. “Most likely to succeed” is being purged from high school yearbooks. It’s not bad that we’re left with the golden rule; what’s bad is superiors must pretend they’re not superior and inferiors are encouraged to think they’re fully realized.

You mean the golden rule without the meta. Treat people as you would like to be treated. Since children treat others as immature idiots, the way they are treated, I suppose some may argue this is advanced civilization. Advanced decadence, I’m not sure about the civilization part.

It’s especially bad when they don’t know what they would like to be treated as, like the Muslims in France. So what they do is treat others as they are treated. HUman nature and rage being what it is, it tends to escalate.