Be it ever so humble….

We returned late last night from a trip that saw us surrounded by interesting people, and staying in the gorgeous home of gracious hosts. And yet I’m just so glad to be back. I’m a complete homebody — I like my bed, and my kitchen and my computer. It was also a great relief to be home after nine hours on the road, which was hard on the grown-ups and really hard on the kids.  They handled it well, thanks to the miracle of car DVDs, but they weren’t happy.

Although there were newspapers and computers around where we were staying, I didn’t interact much with either.  There was just too much going on and, to be honest, I needed a bit of break.  I’ll get back in the groove this morning.  I also brought back all sorts of interesting print material that my host gave me, and I bet I’ll be blogging about that once I’ve had the chance to review it.

So, in about three hours from now, consider this blog back in business!

Comments

1. kevin says

“They handled it well, thanks to the miracle of car DVDs, but they weren’t happy.”

Ah, how quickly kids adapt to technology. In ’65 we drove from Albuquerque, NM to Quansette Point, RI with nothing more than a couple of toys and one of those automobile bingo games (the bingo card has cows, churches, neon signs, etc. and you mark out the things you see on the road to get a bingo.) I’d have given my eye teeth for a car DVD!

2. Oldflyer says

Oh Bookworm you disappoint me. I thought you and your kids would be more “old school”. DVDs?

Maybe I should have more respect for my two girls. Three times they made the coast to coast trip, sharing the back seat with the cat(s); nothing other than books and recreational bickering for entertainment.

We won’t even talk about the four-day/three-night, each way, round-trip move which involved towing two horses, and sharing the two vehicles with three cats (one adopted two days before departure) and a dog.

I guess Mom and Dad stepped up to the plate also.

Oldflyer, DVDs are a lifesaver for one very specific reason: both my kids get carsick, as do I. My memory of childhood car trips is of endless boredom. My sister could read (she could read in a roller coaster), but even a glance at a page would have me turning green. For that reason, I’m completely sympathetic to the DVD watching.

It would also be different if we were driving someplace unusual. As it is, this is a twice yearly pilgrimage over some very uninspiring freeway.

4. Oldflyer says

I was only teasing.

I am sure we would have welcomed a DVD,CD player,game boy, or any other distraction when the recreational bickering reached a near unbearable crescendo. Like Kevin, I was talking about another era.

The family that travels together is lucky to stay together.

It’s funny, and I don’t mean this disrespectfully, but I’ve seen that there is a new movie coming out about the ultimate road trip: the one Mary and Joseph made to Nazareth. I’m having trouble figurng out how the moviemakers can show these characters both realistically (which I presume is a goal) and with the respect due them when they’re showing them on a trip under the most difficult circumstances!

6. kevin says

An interesting thought occurred to me as I read the previous comments. While the advance of technology between different eras has given parents more ways to occupy kids on long car trips, the advent of “very uninspiring freeways” has apparently elevated these new technologies to the status of being essential.

When we moved to Rhode Island, Interstate 40 didn’t exist. A good portion of the beginning of the trip was on Route 66 followed by similar roadways as we turned further east. While the trip was long, there were always interesting things to look at and many stops for roadside attractions along the way (that’s why we took two weeks to complete the trip.) In retrospect, if the cost of my having had a car DVD player would have been giving up the feel of America that we experienced on this trip, I’ll choose the latter any day (which, now that I think about it, is the not-so-subtle theme in the movie Cars.)