They do the reading and writing, so I don’t have to

I’ve been working since 7:30 a.m. this morning, I so I haven’t had an opportunity to comment on current events or just plain interesting stuff.  Fortunately, my email crew has been busy, and they’ve been wonderful enough to put before me articles and posts that are relevant to today’s news or just to me.  So:

On the subject of terrorism, a London Times writer channels Charleton Heston to point out that, if honest citizens are armed, gun based (as opposed to bomb-based) terrorism would quickly vanish.  (H/t:  Danny Lemieux)

Ymarsakar often points out that neo-neocon and I seem to write similar posts at the same time.  Yesterday, I wrote about a genre of women’s literature that’s very hostile to conservativism.  Today, neo-neocon writes about women’s book groups and the books they read.  As for me, I like three different kinds of reading:  classics, non-fiction, and junk.  The problem with women’s book clubs is that they tend to read “sensitive” stuff, which simply puts me off.  Indeed, when it comes to sensitive stuff, I have a standing rule:  never read anything Oprah recommends.

And as for the Blagojevich arrest, while I haven’t had time to read anything about it, others have, and I thought you might enjoy these knowing that, while the papers just can’t bring themselves to recite his party affiliation, someone is paying attention to the fact that Chicago politicians have a little corruption problem.

I’ll catch up more later.

Comments

1. Deana says

The news coming out of Illinois, even for those who are familiar with how corrupt things are there, is quite breathtaking.

Soooooo . . . Obama apparently is not implicated in this Blagojevich incident. That’s a good thing, but it is difficult to believe that someone could move in the same circles as Blagojevich, Rezko, Axelrod, and others in Chicago and remain as pure as the wind-driven snow.

It’s possible but wow – the Obama team has to know that people have to be wondering.

Deana

2. Zhombre says

My hunch is that President-Elect Artful Dodger will disassociate himself from Governor Blagojevich despite the fact that in Chi-town even the wind-driven snow collects dirt.

It’s very crowded under that Obama train — but we do know that he’ll resurrected the bodies when he gets the chance, a peculiar loyalty I didn’t expect from the man. Or maybe loyalty is the wrong word. He resurrects those whose ideology he believes will serve him now that he’s grasped the brass ring.

4. rockdalian says

ABC News Senior White House Correspondent Jake Tapper has a post listing many questions that need to be answered.

There is a grand jury hearing testimony about the Rezko and Obama land deal.

A former Illinois bank official, now claiming whistleblower status, says bank officials replaced a loan reappraisal that he prepared for a Chicago property that was purchased by the wife of now-convicted felon Tony Rezko, part of which was later sold to next-door neighbor Barack Obama.

There seems to be something strange about the days events, I can’t quite put my finger on it. The arrest today just appears to be a little premature and there are rumors that Rahm Emanuel may have been the catalyst behind the arrest today.

Let’s not read too much into this.

For those of you not from Chicago, understand that Obama is the front man, the sock-puppet, “sent” by the Chicago machine. He is their creation. Chances are that he had many interactions with Governor Blogo but that he was deliberately kept “clean”. It’s the people behind and around Obama in the Illinois combine that must be sweating.

Gov. Blogo’s mistake was that he was clumsy and greedy. He didn’t know how to play the system and therefore overreached. His fatal mistake was to be hated by both Democrat and Republican members of the Illinois Combine. I think this may at least partly because his clumsiness embarrassed them. The list of charges against him is, in Illinois parlance, “no big deal!”. His problem was that he was too obvious. This made it easy to toss him to the wolves, as he had very few friends.

Incidentally, I was told almost three years-ago by Illinois political contacts that Gov. Blogo was likely headed for the slammer.

That being said, Obama gets inaugurated in January and, after that, Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald may find the going very tough.

6. suek says

>>For those of you not from Chicago, understand that Obama is the front man, the sock-puppet, “sent” by the Chicago machine. He is their creation. Chances are that he had many interactions with Governor Blogo but that he was deliberately kept “clean”.>>

I’m not from Chicago. I may have been physically in the city sometime during my lifetime, but if so, I don’t remember it.
    So…with that in mind, help me out here. I’m inclined to agree with you that Obama is a sock-puppet front man – for reasons that border on tinfoil hat territory. My question is how aware of it Obama is. We know he’s smart enough, but how aware is he? If he was deliberately kept “clean”, might he also have been kept deliberately in the dark, expecting that the payoff day would be disclosed eventually? Could he have hyper-jumped out of their reach by his astromical ascent to the presidency? or was he a willing, aware conspirator all the way? Is he a communist ideolog, a naive idealist or a crook? Some choice!

Suek – Obama has Rahm Emanuel as his guardian angel. Say what you will about Emanuel, he is a very sharp attorney and Crook County insider. They need Obama where he is and with a clean bill of health. I cannot believe that Obama would have had any significant interaction with Blogo unless first vetted by Emanuel. Obama is no idiot, either. He knows full well what his role is.

As far as who or what Obama is, he is a Rorschach ink-blot – what you see is what you want to perceive. If you look at his record (including those items lined-out), you see a chameleon that has been sanitized for the role that he is to play, at his keepers’ behest. As far as I am concerned, the Illinois Combine will run our country as of January 21st.

You haven’t been to Chicago, so let me share this with you. If you visit the downtown Loop, it is spectacularly beautiful (esp. in summer). It is a world-class tourist destination with world-class prices (due to taxes), fine dining and spectacular museums. I highly, highly recommend it to any tourist. This is what makes big money for the Combine.

However, tourists never get to see the surrounding favelas where children are regularly shot down in the streets and the ward politics would make any third-world country blush. Nor will they see the steady exodus of small businesses no longer able to operate in or pay (to play) the cost of the one-party State that rules Chicago and will continue to rule Chicago for the foreseeable future. Incidentally, while “Democrats” nominally rule Chicago and the Illinois Combine, such a designation is too facile. The Illinois Combine consists of “Democrats” and “Republicans” only in the sense that white pigs and polka-dotted pigs can be told apart. They feed at the same trough, driven by a mutual appetite devoid of principle and taste. Pigs are pigs and slops are slops.

Some very interesting questions are being raised as to why Prosecutor Fitzpatrick decided to close-down Governor Blogo BEFORE he made the senatorial appointment, which would have been the real, prosecutable crime. It’s like arresting the drug dealer while the price of the transaction is being discussed rather than after the package has changed hands. Capice?

8. suek says

Capice. On Fox news this AM, they had Judge Neapolitano, and his comments were that a) we had only heard 3.5 minutes out of xx hours of tape (I don’t remember how many hours, but very many), and b) that he expected the defense to be (unless otherwise proven by the remainder of the tapes) that it was not illegal to “wish” for such and such that was illegal, but it _was_ illegal to _do_ such things as might be wished for.

Which may prove your point…. Or not. Guess we’ll find out.

Your point about why now is an interesting one. The obvious reason is either prevent tainting Obama (somehow) or simply to forestall the governor’s senate pick. They might suspect he intended to name himself, for example, and – is it possible?? – perhaps he exceeded even their limits of corruption!!!

I was listening to Michael Medved while coming to work…he was talking about how incredible it was that the corruption in the Illinois government was so open. I had to laugh…it gives a whole new meaning to “open and transparent government”!! I don’t think I’ll ever hear that term again without thinking of this mess! Just because it’s “open” and “transparent” doesn’t mean it’s _good_!