Comments

Not at all sad, Book. Nobody ever did cartoons the way the Warner Bros. studio did them at its height in the Forties and Fifties.

Disney was better technically, but couldn’t hold a candle to WB’s wit and wackiness. No other cartoon studio was able to create a cast of such endearing pyschotics and misfits as Yosemite Sam, Sylvester, Daffy, Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe Le Pew, Elmer Fudd (<–what an inspired name!), Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote and the Acme Company.

I mean, c’mon, Goofy and Pluto, or Woody Woodpecker up against those guys???

The best scene for me in “Who Killed Roger Rabbit” was the toon bar where Daffy and Donald ducks both play piano. Since both quackers are crackers, in no time they’re involved in a piano duel that quickly degenerates into a full-out brawl. Watching those two finally get together onscreen, and go where their natures inevitably had to take them, was one of the most pleasurable moments of my moviegoing career.

I “hear” a lot of the Loony Toons cartoons because my kids listen to them in the car. Elmer Fudd has become my absolute favorite character. His lines and Arthur Q. Bryan’s delivery are just priceless. My favorite, always, is “Ahh. West and wewaxation at wast.” I know the feeling, Elmer.

Good point, Helen. Many people still think of the Lone Ranger when they hear the Wiiliam Tell Overture, or of “Apocalypse Now” whenever they hear Wagner’s “Flight of the Valkyries.”

The silver lining here is that people who have never had occasion to listen to classical music know that it is far more accessible and “listenable” than they may have thought, thanks to Elmer Fudd and Francis Ford Coppola.

What the heck–whatever gets you launched on the voyage of discovery.

4. Gringo says

I concur with Helen and Charles Martel. The cartoons are witty and give many people their first exposure to classical music. I can’t remember the last time I saw this one before tonight, but like a good book or good piece of music, there was nothing lost on second ( or…) exposure.

I feel no shame for my attachment to the Rocky and Bullwinkle shows.

5. Patrick OHannigan says

I agree with Charles Martel. Nothing pathetic about this, Bookworm!

Some time ago, I read an interview with a symphony conductor who said he became a classical music enthusiast after hearing John Williams’ score for the original “Star Wars” movie in 1977.

That Looney Tunes fused classical pieces with pop culture so successfully is a tribute to the music and the culture: Western Civilization as a whole can be proud of how eighteenth- and nineteenth-century work integrated seamlessly with twentieth-century work in a different medium, which I suppose is a long way of saying that Chuck Jones and Gioacchino Rossini were both masters.

6. oceanguy says

Don’t forget Wagner…. “Kill da Wabbit, Kill da Wabbit… I wiww do it with my speaw and magic Hewmet…”

and

“Oh Bwunhilda, you’w so wuvwy!”

But apart from the opera one of my favorites was Blacque Jacque Shellaque… and Bugs getting the best of him reducing him to running and yelling for “Assistance… Assistance…” in the overplayed French accent.

Pathetic. not on your life… Highly cultured I would say.

7. oceanguy says

oops didn’t see Charles Martel’s allusion to Flight of the Valkyries… but the “Apocalypse Now” snippet is shorter than the Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny production, for me it’s “Kill da Wabbit” instead of the other that comes to mind.

Zhombre, so cigars and sherry are your idea of a good time, eh?

This means, my mensch sibling, than I am now happily sworn to defend you always, and to take care of your children and dogs in the event of your premature demise.

9. SJBill says

Pathetic? We beg to differ!
    Son and daughter just sat through this and they are beaming!
    WB Classics are just that — never to be outdone.

Our best, Bookie! We must see you sometime soon, at a cartoon festival, none of which are younger than 60 years (with the exception of “Who Killed Roger Rabbit?”

10. benning says

I see the same thing in my mind’s eye, Bookie. I also see Elmer Fudd in the horned helmet (“I killed the wabbit, killed the wabbit!”) when I first hear the opening strains of Wagner’s “Ride of the Valkyries” – I think that’s the piece. And what do you see if you happen to hear the William Tell Overture? I see the Lone Ranger and Silver!

Ahhh … memories!