A teeny crack in the wall

This morning Mr. Bookworm offered me something:  “Hey!  You want to blog about something Obama’s doing that I don’t like?”

I was curious.  “What?”

“This Employee Free Choice Act.  What’s up with that?”

“That’s been around for a while,” I said.  “It’s one of the platforms on which Obama ran.”

He asked, “What do you mean?  I’ve never heard of it.”  I forebore to point out that this might be an indictment about the NY Times, NPR and The New Yorker, which are Mr. Bookworm’s only news sources.

“Anyway,” I said, “it’s kind of old news.  Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Obama promised to enact it as one of their first pieces of legislation.”

Another why question:  “Why would they do that?  This is a piece of crap?”

“They’re doing it because it’s payback time to the union bosses.”

A blank look:  “What do you mean?  This is a piece of crap legislation.”

I explain:  “This isn’t about the legislation’s merits.  This is payback.  The union bosses deliver the vote; the politicians deliver an Orwellian act that’s aimed at turning every workplace into a union shop.”

The last plaintive words I heard drifting down the hall as I headed off to work were, “But I don’t understand….”

It saddens me a great deal that a bright person caught in the NY Times web managed to vote for someone when he had no idea what that someone was promising to do.  It also saddens me a great deal that a bright person is so naive that he can’t understand that a dangerous and crappy piece of legislation is on the table as part of political dirty dealing.  On the other hand, I’m pleased to see a little crack in the wall.  That, at least, might lead to bigger and better things.

Comments

There were apparently a few sporadic “elections” held during the Nazi era in Germany. People were encouraged to vote out in the open–there may have been private voting booths for those who dared to use them, but a banner was prominently posted:

PATRIOTIC GERMANS ARE PROUD TO SHOW HOW THEY VOTE

I immediately thought of this story when I read about the legislation.

2. Larry Sheldon says

Voting for stuff (including people) with no knowledge of the contents is the way it works now.

The Wone issues orders, the propagandists package them, the plebes do as they are instructed.

“THX 1138″ may be the best model here. “1984”, “Brave New World” and “Anthem” are instructive.

Let’s hope that Mr. Book comes to realize what type of crap media he has relied upon for his news.

Your line is excellent and I will use it every time I hear a Liberal/Lefty voice outrage, to whit: “Oh that? That’s old news….”,

as in “where were you, Rip van Winkle?”

4. suek says

David…

Wow. I hadn’t heard that. Still – if the Repubs can’t stop the open vote thing, I’d suggest that they try to eliminate the secret vote in the political elections. That should stir up enough indignation that people will actually look at the union thing and question what the heck they’re doing.

Maybe.

Of course, the down side is that they’d actually think it was a good idea – because “PATRIOTIC [GERMANS] AMERICANS ARE PROUD TO SHOW HOW THEY VOTE” !!! (Wish I could do the html thing where you cross out the word!) Now _that_ would be scary!

5. Quisp says

I don’t suppose there’s a chance you could get this article on Mr. Book’s desk?

Vice President Joe Biden gave a warm and well-received speech to the AFL-CIO Executive Council at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida today.

“And old joke…you go home with them that brung you to the dance,” the vice president said, according to remarks put out by the White House. “Well, you all brought me to the dance a long time ago. And it’s time we start dancing, man. It’s time we start dancing.”

Biden noted that the National Labor Relations Act “explicitly says this nation’s policy is to encourage — encourage — collective bargaining, encourage unions.”

He said he backed so-called card-check legislation that would make it easier for workers to unionize. Many business groups oppose the legislation.

The vice president added that “what is news here is you now have an American president and vice president, and the speaker of the House and the majority leader who agree with everything [AFL-CIO President] John Sweeney (left) said.”

Biden said that in the Obama administration “it will not take divine intervention” for union leaders like Sweeney “to get invited to the White House,” arguing that “you can’t have a middle class without a strong labor movement.”

So, the VP’s publicly promising to dance with the ones that brung him. Can’t get much more plain about payback than that.

6. Tonestaple says

This morning, my radio station was asking callers what they were sick and tired of. If I hadn’t been in a hurry, I would have said the complete lack of historical knowledge in people who then have the nerve to vote in elections. And to that, I would add the complete lack of current knowledge not involving television shows and movies in people who then have the nerve to vote in elections.

They’re just like Mr. Bookworm: in for a very rude awakening, and in the meantime, we’re all of us stuck with this ignoramus for President. We stand to lose all the freedom we Americans have taken for granted, just because they choose live in a vacuum.

(Sorry, Book – I hope I’m not violating your hospitality. It’s not Mr. Bookworm so much as some people I work with that I’m thinking of right now.)

7. expat says

Book, Google George McGovern Employee Free Choice Act. I believe McGovern’s original article was in the WSJ, but he has made his voice known elsewhere too. Mr. Book might find it interesting that his favorite news sources didn’t cover McGovern’s opposition.

8. Gringo says

Buyer’s remorse is beginning to set in among some people, who are finding out that “hope and change” does not necessarily bring the changes they were hoping for.

Haven’t Christopher Buckley and David Brooks already published some sort of mea culpa?

McGovern’s position on the Employee Free Choice Act makes it easier for me to reconcile my having voted for him way back then.

My yellow-dog Democrat sister-in-law considers it outrageous that our brother-in-law, who emigrated with his parents from Germany after WW2, had long predicted that Obama would, like the Nazis, use the pretext of “it’s an emergency” to enact a slew of freedom-destroying laws. Looks to me as if our brother-in-law may be more right than wrong in his prediction.

When will those of us who knew better about Obama start tacking on bumperstickers along the theme of “Don’t blame me! I voted for McCain?”

9. Oldflyer says

I have found that I get very angry when I see an Obama bumper sticker. My thought is that there goes one of the unthinking, uninformed fools who helped to bring this calamity down on the country. I excuse the Blacks. (Is that term ok? I don’t hyphenate Americans.) They at least have some justification even if it is misguided; but I am furious with the Whites–especially the ones driving Volvos, Beamers, etc.

I know that I can control myself, but I am going to have to be careful. I don’t envy you at all Book.

Off topic, but has anyone else noticed how the O bumper stickers have proliferated since the election? I live in a pretty conservative county–although over the past several years we have had an influx of what would have once been called YUPPIES. I didn’t notice so many O stickers before the election. Anyway, I wonder how long before they start disappearing.

10. Al says

I have to agree with Oldflyer. It does seem there are more Obama bumper stickers out there after the election than before, but that could just be the exaggerated signal from a very raw nerve.
    The idea of selling “Don’t blame me, I voted for McCain” bumper stickers is fun. That would definately be an economic stimulus.
    Al