About that word “insurgents” *UPDATED*

I saw a headline at Drudge, to the effect that there is a photo of Afghan “insurgents” with U.S. ammo.  The story, although I’m sure it’s interesting, interested me less than that word “insurgent.”  We’ve all talked about the fact that “insurgent” a word that allows a politically correct, liberal media to avoid such words as “terrorist” and to shy away from any discussion about the religion those “insurgents” practice.

But most obviously, it’s a way of avoiding that old-fashioned word “enemy.”  Try as they may, though, reporters cannot shy away from a central fact:  Those Afghani “insurgents” are engaged in a war against American troops.  They are our ENEMY.

en⋅e⋅my
–noun
1. a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.
2. an armed foe; an opposing military force: The army attacked the enemy at dawn.
3. a hostile nation or state.
4. a citizen of such a state.
5. enemies, persons, nations, etc., that are hostile to one another: Let’s make up and stop being enemies.
6. something harmful or prejudical: His unbridled ambition is his worst enemy.
7. the Enemy, the Devil; Satan.

It is staggering and disgusting that, despite the hits our American troops are taking, our media finds itself incapable of taking sides and calling those who would kill us “the enemy.”

Feh!  And it’s no surprise, of course, that Barack Obama, who can demonize a news station and a radio personality, is incapable of uttering those words either.  What a bag of poop he is — and pardon me for being crude, but on the eve of Veteran’s Day, I’m simply disgusted by the whole damn lot of them.

UPDATE:  I finally figured out what this foolish word play reminds me of.  One of the more brilliant Simpsons episodes has as its centerpiece a musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire which, not unsurprisingly, gets all of the emotional notes absolutely wrong.  So it is that Blanche’s statement about her dependence on the kindness of strangers morphs into “A Stranger’s Just a Friend You Haven’t Met.”  That song seems to highlight our media’s idiotic attempt to make sure that America has no real enemies (except for Rush, of course).

Comments

1. highlander says

There are no enemies in the Age of Obamius.  Remember?

This is the dawning of the age of Obamius
    The age of Obamius
    Obamius! Obamius!

Harmony and understanding
    Sympathy and trust abounding
    . . .

Everything is just sweetness and light!  I’m OK, you’re OK, everybody’s OK!  The only enemies are those tight-assed conservatives who want to take us down and spoil our trip.

Oh!  Wow!  Did you see those colors?  Lemme have another toke!

Disgusted, is the right word.

Extremely unpleasant to the senses or feelings: atrocious, foul, horrid, nasty, nauseating, offensive, repellent, repulsive, revolting, sickening, ugly, unwholesome, vile.
    So objectionable as to elicit despisal or deserve condemnation: abhorrent, abominable, antipathetic, contemptible, despicable, despisable, detestable, filthy, foul, infamous, loathsome, lousy, low, mean, nasty, nefarious, obnoxious, odious, repugnant, rotten, shabby, vile, wretched.

Too many people refuse to be judgmental, when judgment is what is needed.  This Major Hassan character is sick, twisted, and evil.  I heard there is a picture of him at a 7-eleven with a breakfast biscuit and coffee, smiling widely and joyfully the morning he massacred all those people at Fort Hood, murdering thirteen people.  He had prepared and planned; he was ready; he was MORE than pleased with what he was about to do.

Just as people use the word “insurgents” to avoid other judgmental words, I find that people use the word “tragedy” to avoid assigning blame, to avoid labelling someone’s actions evil.  I have heard the word “tragedy” used many times to describe Hassan’s murderous spree at Fort Hood.  The use of the word “tragedy” sickens me.

Definition: tragedy – noun - a lamentable, dreadful, or fatal event or affair; calamity; disaster.

At first glance it seems appropriate. Lamentable, dreadful, fatal… sure! Let’s use it!

But “tragedy” implies that it was out of the hands of Man, outside of evil intent.  A flood, a fire, a hurricane, a tornado can result in tragedy.  An expedition on a glacier that suffers a landslide, loses most of their food, and starves to death trying to escape back hundreds of miles to civilization, is a tragedy.  A military expedition that encounters dreadful weather, limiting air support, and suffering huge casualties as a result, can even be considered a tragedy.  But in every case there is an intervening event outside the motivations and purposes of Man.  A force of nature or an accidental choice – a mistake – that each leads to the calamity.  The Titanic iceberg coupled with the hubris of “full steam ahead”.  Where was Hassan’s “mistake”?  Did he think he carried a toy gun that would pop-pop and merely scare people?

No, this was a slaughter, a premeditated mass murder event.  I will vomit before I call it a “tragedy”.

4. highlander says

You’re spot on BW.  The Obama administration’s weak and muffled response to Islamic terrorism stands in sharp contrast to America’s vigorous response to the German U-boat threat during World War II.

Robert Kurson wrote this in Shadow Divers [Random House, 2004, p. 237] “As Chatterton and Kohler digested the late U-boat war, each discovered a new pride for Allied ingenuity and tenacity, for the ability of the United States to dig deep into its instinct for freedom, rise up against one of history’s most terrifying threats, and pound it down until the world was safe again.”  (emphasis mine)

Now, as then, we stand in desperate need of a leader with balls.  Ironic that the current best candidate is a woman.

5. Jose says

Another good PC word is ALLEGED which NPR wore out yesterday talking about Nidal Hasan.  The phrase that stuck in my mind was his “alleged rampage” at Fort Hood.  I guess his alleged victims were allegedly shot and 14 of them allegedly died on the alleged military installation.

6. suek says

Jose…I agree with you…BUT…remember that our legal system is “innocent until proven guilty”.  You and I may say whatever we wish about his guilt, but if you’re a broadcaster with an audience, your statement that he is guilty or that he(Hasan) went on a rampage – which presumes his guilt – might mean that his defense will be able to argue that the jury was “tainted”  or influenced by the universality of that presumption of guilt.
    There is absolutely no way I want anybody to do _anything_ that would permit that to be a valid defense, so as obnoxious as I find the “alleged” thing (although I must admit – the rampage wasn’t alleged, the shooter is the alleged part), I want them to keep on using it.

7. suek says

And by the way – that includes the president.  In fact, especially the president.  I was really concerned Wednesday that he’d say something that would legally take Hasan off the hook  – “can’t get a fair trial because the President said…”   To be honest, my opinion of Obama’s loyalties is so low, that I almost expected it as a means to an end – so I was relieved when he didn’t.

8. Jose says

suek,
    Point taken.  Far be it from me to deny anyone a fair trial.  Or prevent one.

alleged-adjective
    1. declared or stated to be as described; asserted: The alleged murderer could not be located for questioning.
    2. doubtful; suspect; supposed: The alleged cure-all produced no results when it was tested by reputable doctors.
    allege–verb (used with object), -leged, -leging.
    1. to assert without proof.
    2. to declare with positiveness; affirm; assert: to allege a fact.
    3. to declare before a court or elsewhere, as if under oath.
    4. to plead in support of; offer as a reason or excuse.
    5. Archaic. to cite or quote in confirmation.

This is also the Left using our own rules and values against us. We believe in innocent until proven guilty. The Left does not. When the Left can hammer us, protect their own, and make us stand by our own rules, to our detriment, they get an advantage. And when it is war, that advantages means more of us die, as in Fort Hood, and more of their allies get to live, Hasan.