What is it with this guy and bowing?

The Emperor of Japan is not a totalitarian dictator, thank goodness.  Indeed, he seems like a very sweet little man.  But what in heaven’s name is up with our president going around the world bowing?

APTOPIX Japan Obama AsiaWe’re Americans!  We show respect, but we don’t bow.  And there’s something really weird, too, about the most arrogant person on earth (that would be the guy on the left) turning into a gelatinous substance before male royal figures.  As you recall, he didn’t bow to Queen Elizabeth.  I thought that this had to do with his anti-British animus, which I still believe, but I’m ready to add his misogyny into the mix of reasons he didn’t fold at the middle.

Comments

Okay, in Japan we do bow, because politeness requires.  But we, if we have a lick of sense, figure out how to do it.
    See how the Mikado is bowing about 10°?  He is gonna bow that much, because he is (more or less by definition) the perfect Japanese gentleman — which is as much of a prison as it is a privilege.  Obama has to bow some, because having the Mikado bowing subserviently to a foreign head of state is unthinkable and would cause the US great trouble.
    The solution: he should bow about the same 10°.  Maybe 15°, since he’s the guest.
    But that it ridiculous, and either idiotic or offensive.

2. BrianE says

“But the “thou need not bow” commandment from the State Department’s protocol office maintained a constancy of more than 200 years. Administration officials scurried to insist that the eager-to-please President had not really done the unthinkable.”

Defense of Obama’s second bow blunder?

No, this was written in 1994 following President Clinton’s near bow, or “bow bow” as it was characterized. It will be interesting to read the NYT take on Obama’s “wow, now that’s a bow!” moment.

I thought African Americans were finished bowing and scraping? His prostrations before monarchs and dictators is going to make more some awesomely embarrassing ad footage come 2012. Who wants a chump representing the hood? Just sayin’.

4. Tonestaple says

Aside from the fact that Americans don’t bow to royalty, it seems to me that even in Japan, if the emporer is polite enough to shift to his guest’s custom and shake hands, his guest should not bow.  So not only is Obama obsequious, he’s an idiot.

I believe Obama bows at every FOREIGN opportunity precisely because it is a humbling gesture, and he intends, at every opportunity, to present to world: A Humbled America.  He is doing this as the President of the U.S.A., not as Obama.

As Obama, he would never bow.  Not unless there were some advantage in it for him.

Does he still think there is *any* advantage at all to be gained for the U.S.A. by showing, as Tonestaple said above, such an obsequious manner?  Our adversaries sneer at us, Obama and his administration sneer and show complete contempt to our allies…

I can only come up with the one explanation: Obama intends to humble America.   This may be terrifying for us: How far will he go?  How much does he hate us and what we have been, what we stand for?

If I were an adversary of the United States, I would read the Obama foreign policy this way:  This is a very passive administration, hellbent on showing that the United States is no threat to anybody, and we just want to be your friend, always. Snuggles! Snuggles!

This leaves me free to engage in any sort of malicious, nasty, adversarial activity that I wish… so long as I do not rouse the American people to outright anger.  Because that is the only thing that the Obama administration cannot withstand – righteous anger of the American people.  Anything else happening across the world that does not arouse the American people, Obama can explain away as a “troubling event”, or a “significant disappointment”, or whatever.  But I am free to do just about anything.

These are very happy days for America’s adversaries.

“These are very happy days for America’s adversaries”.
    And what does that say for America. Assbama backwards, all of it.  I think our only saving grace is that he remains clueless as to where the line in the sand is drawn. The only sand he is familiar with is in Indonesia and Hawaii where he wet his toes and whet his appetite for revenge.

The Japanese Prime Minister in a speech didn’t bow more than 10 degrees. Obama is going for the full 50 degrees of arc there. Just like he’s going to go all the way to destroy America and her defenders.

9. JKB says

More troubling is that there are (or were) professionals at the State Department who can advise Obama on proper protocol.  The State Department is known for its Leftist tendencies so it can’t be internal sabotage.  So he’s been briefed and is either to stupid to remember or to arrogant to listen.  It looks like he is getting his protocol advice from Hollywood via movies.  Either that or during his time in Hawaii he watched the Japanese TV series about historical Shoguns?

“so it can’t be internal sabotage”
    I am less convinced post Ft. Hood.
    You have a good point about the movies. Maybe he’s taken on the role of Will Smith in Six Degrees of Separation, but since his math skills are as questionable as his political ones he confused 6 with 60.

One of the insider stories told how Jarett, Obama’s Chicago chum, convinced Obama to go meet with some x or y special interest on the campaign trail, when Obama was already tired. Obviously they told him that he had to do it, but Obama wouldn’t listen. Except to Jarett.

12. suek says

Funny that this thread keeps going like the energizer bunny…my eye keeps picking up the title in the  “Recent Comments” list as “What is it with this guy and bowling”…

Well, suek, I’m a gonna keep this thread going some more.

Another blog showed picture after picture of OTHER heads of state greeting this same man.

NOT ONE OF THEM BOWED.

So take another look at Obama’s deeply reverent 90-degree bow.
    And tell me you don’t want to walk up to our senseless idiotic President and just slap him a good one, right across the face. WAKE UP YOU FOOL!  Slap!  WAKE UP YOU FOOL! Slap! Slap!

Suek
    Thanks for the admission. I also kept seeing the word ‘bowling’. I am wondering if it isn’t a subliminal message from our brain …like throwing a ‘gutter ball’.

I think Obama would love to have the power to confer titles on people. Stuff like “All-American Sociopath” on Bill Ayers and “All-Reich Jew Hater” on George Soros.

Alas, he lacks that power and will continue to do so until the neo-Marxist coup he is helping to fashion against us is complete.

Here is where I go O-Bow-Ma one better. In my house, where I am the male sovereign, I have taken to bestowing titles to my 4-year-old boxer, Lily. The names are based upon her behavior since we brought her home.

Her full name is Lily Stasi Out-of-Position Roadblock Binkyslayer Catbane Twitch.

Lily = her given name
    Stasi = A nod to the East German secret police and their unquenchable need to know everything that’s going on in everybody else’s life. We are always under close observation.

Out-of-Position = Related to Stasi, a behavorial obseravtion by my wife who noted that dogs, Lily in particular, react neurotically to anything that is out of position, including behavior. God forbid I do a charade imitation; Lily reacts like a fireman responding to a 16-alarmer.

Roadblock = The Occam’s Razor explanation that came to me one day as I was stepping over an inconveniently placed Lily for the 10,000th time. Is there a gene, I questioned, that predisposes dogs to position themselves in the most inconvenient, slip-inviting location at exactly the time I need to get somewhere fast?

Binkyslayer = One of the best toy purchases were ever made, a binky with an indestructible squeak box. Hours and hours of fun for Lily. For us, hundreds of instances of crucial dialog or important moments in absorbing TV dramas being interrupted by 5-minute binky riffs. Lily has tried countless times to kill binky with awe-inspiring bites to the throat, but the damned thing will not die.

Catbane = Lily fancies herself the scourge of neighborhood cats. Her leash-bound lunges impress none of them.

Twitch = Those of you who have owned boxers know that they can twitch themselves two feet off the ground from a standing start, then rotate 180 degrees.

I doubt that except for his incipient desire to spy on the 25 million citizens he would like to kill, Bill Ayers could ever match my Lily’s specs.

Martel 1, O-Bow-Ma 0.

Martel, that was worth more than 1 – it was like bowling a perfect game. Of course, you’ll have to share the score with Lily, who provided you with all the cannon fodder (the ultimate bowling ball).

Let’s do math..

“Half way through his Asian tour, Mr. Obama is confronting the limits of engagement and personal charm”.

I know, it’s a shocking assessment (snark) considering that he seems to be the rage of favoritism locally in the media. The Asian Tour de farce is not worth a bowl of rice. It may be his eating habits – the insane appetite of wanting it all his way.

suek
    Your post about the energizer bunny reminded me of the header below. I keep seeing ‘spit’ - guess it’s just wishful thinking.

Dems, GOP split on NY trials of alleged terrorists

Sadie #28,
    I hope that video goes viral!  It’s GREAT.  Love the soundtrack.  ”Hold Your Head Up, Hold Your Head High!” If it goes viral, it really nails the point home well in a way all the moderates will understand completely.