This is what oppression looks like

Through the Bush years, those in the grips of BDS likened him to Hitler based upon their contention that he was running the most oppressive administration ever in American history.  They made this claim despite the fact that, insofar as I know, no protestor was ever imprisoned merely for having protested.  (This is separate from protesters who might have been charged with vandalism, assault, etc.)

Two stories in today’s paper serve to remind us exactly what it looks like when you have a truly oppressive government.  In Uganda, a movement is afoot to make some homosexuality and homosexual acts a capital crime, with family and friends risking imprisonment if they don’t turn their loved one over to the government:

Proposed legislation would impose the death penalty for some gay Ugandans, and their family and friends could face up to seven years in jail if they fail to report them to authorities. Even landlords could be imprisoned for renting to homosexuals.

[snip]

The Ugandan legislation in its current form would mandate a death sentence for active homosexuals living with HIV or in cases of same-sex rape. “Serial offenders” also could face capital punishment, but the legislation does not define the term. Anyone convicted of a homosexual act faces life imprisonment.

Anyone who “aids, abets, counsels or procures another to engage of acts of homosexuality” faces seven years in prison if convicted. Landlords who rent rooms or homes to homosexuals also could get seven years and anyone with “religious, political, economic or social authority” who fails to report anyone violating the act faces three years.

And in Iran, of course, we see exactly what happens in a place that actually has a repressive administration, as opposed to a gentleman-like administration that people can safely attack:

Iran will “show no mercy” toward opposition protesters seen as threatening national security, a judiciary official said on Tuesday, a day after thousands of students staged anti-government rallies.

[snip]

“From now on, we will show no mercy toward anyone who acts against national security. They will be confronted firmly,” said prosecutor Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei, according to the official IRNA news agency.

“Confronted firmly.” Translated, I assume that means beatings, electrical shocks to the genitals, starvation, and other forms of torture a bit more extreme than waterboarding, all of which is followed by either a kangaroo trial or just a swift gunshot to the back of the head.  That last, of course, assumes that you’re lucky enough to make it alive off the streets:

Comments

1. MacG says

(Incidentally, if you read the whole AP story, you’ll see that it’s all the fault of American Christians that this legislation is on the table.) I did not get that from the AP article.  The article said that some American Christians attended a conference before the legislation came about.  They even spoke at the conference but what did they say?  We can get a glimpse here : “In response, Exodus International said it applauds its board member Don Schmierer, who attended the Uganda conference, for his effort to convey an “alternative message that encompasses a compassionate, biblical view of homosexuality,” according to a statement by Exodus International president Alan Chambers to The Christian Post on Wednesday.”
    Correlation does not necessarily equal causation.  There is alot to this conversation but I could not let the statement go without comment.

(IsraelNN.com) An underground Iranian activist has told Israel National News that the country’s highest official — Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei — was spirited to a “secret place” for his own safety and that the nation’s religious leaders are “scared.” The source – an activist in the global Iranian pro-democracy movement who is involved in assisting a group of some 30,000 students located in Tehran and several other major cities - said Khamenei has disappeared. It is the Supreme Leader who controls Iran’s foreign policy, and specifically its decisions regarding its nuclear development activities.
    Africa: Cradle of Uncivilization – Uganda, where life expectancy is only 52  without Idi Amin.

Re. Uganda, I would like to know more about the details, as it explicitly makes “some” homosexual crimes capital crimes.
    A few years ago, when my Episcopal Church was in turmoil (so what’s new?) over the gay bishop and same-sex marriage blessings issue, a Sri Lankan friend and parish member told me that it is very difficult for Asians to confront the homosexuality issue because there is a tradition of Western sex tourists preying on impoverished boys, imprisoned in  “sex farms” throughout southern Asia. I’ve been told that some of the same goes on in Latin America and Africa. So, I am not going to stoke the fires of moral outrage just yet…at least until I learn more details.
    Meanwhile, plenty of Americans apparently feel that it is quite OK to have a “Safe Schools” Czar, an avid supporter of pedophilia (as in, NAMBLA supporter), actively grooming young boys to be prey for older men. Just where is the outrage?

<B>, imprisoned in  “sex farms” throughout southern Asia.</b>

I’m sure the politicians are patronizing this.

<B> Meanwhile, plenty of Americans apparently feel that it is quite OK to have a “Safe Schools” Czar</b>

That ties into the politician bit.

5. suek says

I don’t know.  I don’t really have a problem with homosexuality itself – live and let live, as far as I’m concerned.  But when you hear about “sex farms” and the info about the “safe schools” czar, I have some sympathy for those who would kill homosexuals.  Yes, the idea of such prosecution is abhorrent to me – but at the same time, a society needs to protect itself, and killing homosexuals might be the only way to do so.

“killing homosexuals might be the only way to do so”
    Could we just limit it to the predators. Consenting adults are just that – adults.
    The sex business in S.E. Asia also includes little girls, who are bought and sold like street vendor food. The absence of local indignation in Asia or Africa or anywhere is the problem. Western tourists are a part of the problem in some places,  but not the source.

SADIE,  I absolutely agree with you: the focus (as in Jennings w/ the Fistgate issue) should be on the activity, not the person’s sexual preferences. I believe that human rights extend to all.
    However, the Ugandan laws in question  (Uganda is majority Christian, not Muslim, by the way) most likely target the sexual predators and (I so totally agree with you), they should be just as harsh on predators of little girls as little boys.
    That beings said, I do trust Breitbart as a source and this article seems to imply that the forces at play include a) fear of aids, b) gay rapists and c) a general cultural homophobia prevalent in African countries. Oh…but opposing  prevalent homophobia as an “African” train…isn’t that the “r” word? I’m so confused!

8. suek says

>>Could we just limit it to the predators.>>

Ok by me!  Of course, how will you discriminate when indoctrination and recruitment aren’s exactly “predators”?  Rapists are pretty clear cut…but the insidious ones?  how do you deal with that?

indoctrination and recruitment are predatory practices. There is no difference between the ‘flasher’ or a How to Fisting handbook (you should pardon the expression). Well, there is a difference but the intent is the same.
    I’ll repeat myself, it is the absence of local indignation, including law enforcement, judges and sentencing that aids the predators. The school official (principal?) pleaded ‘sorry’.  What utter nonsense and how utterly ignorant of the community to accept the apology as adequate.
    Danny Lemieux
    I”ll plead ‘not enough knowledge’ on the religious make up of Uganda. Africa is a continent of several religions including ‘local customs’ – like the mutilation and murder of albino children for their body parts, denial in S. Africa of rampant HIV/AIDS problem, the shunning of families, who have been stricken with the illness, Huti and Tutsi massacres, a 1,000 languages/dialetcs – an endless and depressing list of corrupt presidents and dictatorships.

Indeed, he had an appetite not just for murder and since he was a good moslem, he got a proper burial in Jeddah.
    Uganda was also appointed to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights.
    Speaks volumes about the UN, Saudi … yuck, let me stop now before I froth at the mouth.

Certain tribal affiliations in Africa are Christian dominated, while others are Islamic dominated. They tend to, thus, modify their cultural outlook on women according to cultural and religious mores.

MacG, I wasn’t trying to blame American Christians.  I was just acknowledging the AP paragraph that first explained (and then tried to back away from) the role American Christians allegedly played in this legislation:

The measure was proposed in Uganda following a visit by leaders of U.S. conservative Christian ministries that promote therapy for gays to become heterosexual. However, at least one of those leaders has denounced the bill, as have some other conservative and liberal Christians in the United States.

Timing and causation are not the same thing, but they clearly are in AP world.  That is, the AP doesn’t say that the Christians demanded this legislation or even that the government was influenced by the Christian visit.  Nevertheless, by stating that the measure followed on the heels of a visit from Christians who believe that gays can change their sexual orientation, the AP manifestly wants its readers to see a causal connection.  That’s all I was trying to say.

snips  from the link..
    Uganda-based Family Life Network hosted a conference on March 5-8 in Kampala that called parents and the community to oppose the homosexual agenda. It featured guest speakers, including a few from the United States, who offered insight on the causes of and treatment for homosexuality.
    As for Throckmorton, he also condemns the government of Uganda’s criminalization of homosexuality. He argues that people “cannot be forced to believe” and the state should not use “coercive power” to try to “generate obedience to the Gospel.”
    Throckmorton, who holds the traditional Christian view that homosexuality is a sin, urges local churches in Uganda to lead the way in “implementing the Golden Rule” and to support freedom of conscience.
    Two competing and different approaches in Uganda, but neither address the reality of homosexuality (disease vs sin) are opinions and personal beliefs – not an approach to extreme measures under consideration. My concern is with predators and non conscenting adults.  Homosexualitly is a reality. It’s not going away and it is not a 21st century issue.  Add to the mix, a diversity of opinions from America and it’s a sure fire bombshell.

14. MacG says

Book,

Thanks for your clarity on your phrase “Apparently the fault of American Christians”  It is one of the weakness of the written word. I am sure that had we been speaking (albeit quietly here in Marin) I would have caught the tell tale inflection indicating your annoyance or sarcasm of  the AP was blaming all American Christians for this.  After all aren’t we Americans the bane of the world’s existence – especially the Christians? ;)  Your comment did seem in-congruent with other posts so my apologies for not getting it right in the first place.  Others who read here may not have gotten it either which is why I raised the point.
    I really like this blog, keep it up!

I’m glad, MacG, that I could clarify it.  Since I heard saracasm in my mind as I wrote, it never occurred to me that I should have used quotation marks around the word “apparently” to make that same sarcasm clear to others.  The problem is that I’m a very inflected speaker (no monotones here), so I sometimes forget that the written word doesn’t follow me that far.