The line of the night

Christmas dinner (which was lovely), included in a brief foray into discussing the Senate’s health care bill.  A liberal friend let loose with this terrific line after I said that the Senate had raided Medicare and Medicare Advantage to make the bill ostensibly revenue neutral:  “I don’t know anything about the bill, but I know that you’re wrong.”

Comments

1. Cheesestick says

And at that point, you…..flung a spoonful of mashed potatoes at her?  Threw a dinner roll?  LOL…okay, maybe not.  But I have to admit, it would have crossed my mind to do so.

2. highlander says

Thanks for the chuckle.  This may be the second best line of 2009.  The first best was your son’s:  “So he made a good speech, and everybody stopped thinking.”

Though I am not a Roman Catholic, I recall hearing of a doctrine called “Invincible Ignorance” which explains how those who have never heard of Jesus are still eligible for entry into heaven.  If a similar principle applies in politics, then your liberal friend is truly blessed, for s/he clearly is invincibly (and aggressively) ignorant.

To twist an old gag line:  If a conservative blogger says something deep in the forest where no liberal can hear her, is she still wrong?

Well, at Christmas dinner with our liberal friends, the youngest daughter, a very charming lass of 20, was discussing the free trip she will soon be taking to Israel as part of that nation’s program to acquaint overseas Jews with the country.

When she was finished describing the trip, I asked for clarification. “This is open to young Jews, no?”

“Yes,” she answered.

“But how are you Jewish? Your mother is a fallen-away Roman Catholic and Jewishness is passed down through the mother, no?”

=crickets chirping=

Apparently desire (and the lure of a free trip) alone is enough to make one a Jew. If that is the case, I’m donning a yarmulke and daring people NOT to let me take Jewish holidays off.

She’s a Jew because Republicans and Israelis bomb civilians.

<B>I don’t know anything about the bill, but I know that you’re wrong.”</b>

I don’t know anything about your companion, but I know you’re right.

Quite a hat trick, Charles.
    I believe the program is open to those up to age 26 with one parent or grandparent who is Jewish. Be prepared for next Christmas dinner – she may insist that you wear the yarmulke : )

Book, I know you are pretty quick on the riposte, but I’m betting you almost got lockjaw from your open-mouthed astonishment at your dinner companion.

We’re you able to say anything to this person, or did you just sit there, as so many of us here have done in the face of utter stupidity, helplessly gagging and twitching?

You’re right, Charles, because there are few ripostes against self-confessed ignorance.  I mean, usually, you lead the charge against an argument by proving the ignorance underlying it.  It took the wind out of my sails to have my dinner companion use his ignorance as the justification for his argument.

I also didn’t want to get heated, because it would have upset my 87 year old mom to find herself in the middle of a political battlefield.  She’s upset enough after what the Senate and the House did to her, and everyone else in her demographic.

Is vomitting or a seizure acceptable as a  riposte when your lost for words. I am just asking,  just in case I find myself seated next to a self- announced imbecile.

Book says,
    > A liberal friend let loose with [...] “I don’t know anything about the bill, but I know that you’re wrong.”

At worst, this is “magical thinking” at its most brutally obvious.  ”Universal health care would be so nice and perfect, and it’s only fair that everyone get everything, so I don’t care what you say, there simply MUST be a way to make it happen.”  ABRA … CADABRA!   The fairy godmother waves her magic wand and magic dust sparkles everywhere and it is done.

At best, it is an example of childlike (and immature) thinking.  ”I trust my Democrat overlords in Congress.  They are benevolent and virtuous – and perfect – and they would *never* allow wonderful programs such as Medicare to be raided.  Therefore you must be wrong.”   This means she is placing her trust in her Democrat government, in precisely the same manner that a very young child has automatic blind trust in his or her beloved, omniscient and god-like parents.

Either way… not good… not good at all.

Next time, Book, in consideration of  preserving the good fellowship of the moment, you might want to congratulate your friend on their loyalty and obedience.