Tuesday morning (or afternoon) Open Thread

You can read my favorite opinion/news story of the day, while I get down to work I really don’t want to do.

After you read the story, here’s the interview that’s referenced in the story, with Tim Tebow showing remarkable composure as the media giggles nervously in the face of his religiously based integrity:

I’m becoming very fond of that young man….

Incidentally, here is the rejected gay themed Superbowl ad.  What’s noteworthy is that it’s not about larger issues — instead, it shows two men making out, something that’s never been daytime fare:

Comments

1. Oldflyer says

Book, I believe I have already reported that my wife and I have followed Tim Tebow closely since he started playing college football.
    He is probably as close to the genuine article as we will find in these times.  Nothing will shake him, nor deter him from his mission.  I have heard him speak (through the media) many times, and never heard him tell anyone what they should do.  But, he speaks in countless forums, places that many won’t even go (prisons, hospitals, orphanages), about what he believes.
    Interestingly,  nearly every one who meets him in person reports that he is so much more dynamic and charismatic than they expected, even after all of the hype.  I speak of rather cynical media types.
    I find it comforting to know that there is a young man out there like Tim.  I helps believe there are others who just don’t have the notoriety.

2. BrianE says

From the Washington Post:

“Sex education classes that focus on encouraging children to remain abstinent can persuade a significant proportion to delay sexual activity, researchers reported Monday in a landmark study that could have major implications for U.S. efforts to protect young people against unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.
    Only about a third of sixth- and seventh-graders who completed an abstinence-focused program started having sex within the next two years, researchers found. Nearly half of the students who attended other classes, including ones that combined information about abstinence and contraception, became sexually active.
    The findings are the first clear evidence that an abstinence program could work.
    “I think we’ve written off abstinence-only education without looking closely at the nature of the evidence,” said John B. Jemmott III, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania who led the federally funded study. “Our study shows this could be one approach that could be used.”
    The research, published in the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, comes amid intense debate over how to reduce sexual activity, pregnancies, births and sexually transmitted diseases among children and teenagers. After falling for more than a decade, the numbers of births, pregnancies and STDs among U.S. teens have begun increasing.
    The Obama administration eliminated more than $170 million in annual federal funding targeted at abstinence programs after a series of reports concluded that the approach was ineffective. Instead, the White House is launching a $114 million pregnancy prevention initiative that will fund only programs that have been shown scientifically to work — a program the administration on Monday proposed expanding to $183 million.
    “This new study is game-changing,” said Sarah Brown, who leads the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. “For the first time, there is strong evidence that an abstinence-only intervention can help very young teens delay sex.” “

Other studies have shown positive results for abstinence programs. Detractors usually hold the programs up to impossible standards. But delaying sex among adolescents by even a few years should be viewed as a success.

If 12 year olds delay having sex until they’re 16 has to be positive, unless you think 12 year olds having sex is a good thing. One thing about abstinence. You won’t get pregnant.

Even though I would prefer kids wait until marriage, the later they delay having sex means they will be closer to being emotionally able to handle it.

Good for Tebow.

As to the ManCrunch ad promoting a homosexual website, maybe if they’d spent more than a couple of hundred bucks and a camcorder on production value, the ad might have been aired. It looked like it was shot in a college dorm with a youtube cam.

For this open thread:

Vasko Kohlmeyer over at americanthinker.com asks a provocative question:  Since it looks as though conservatives (Republicans) are poised for a takeover of Congressional power, and therefore responsibility… are we REALLY ready to lead?  He asks this in the context of Medicare, and the way he reminds of the numbers makes them devastating:

My answer would be:  The American People are NOT ready to be led in one direction on any aspect of health care, yet.   Obama tried to take us to the far, far, far left, and he has been soundly rejected.  Likewise I think, if we tried to lead the American people to a purely conservative solution, we would be soundly rejected as well.  And no middle solution exists.  So… the American people are not yet serious, though they know where they do NOT want to go.

So what they heck do we do?  (If you agree the American people aren’t ready for the real conservative solution)

So what the heck do we do?

One step at a time and let the dust settle. There is no way you can renovate an entire house, gut the inside, tear down walls, put up new ones, move windows, add shutters, paint the walls and sand the floors and expect to be able to live in it at the same time when the plumbing is not hooked up and you can’t use the kitchen because the appliances can’t be installed.
    The Feds have yet to stop abuse of the current system ranging from over payments to payments made to P.O. boxes. First thing has got to be tight, very tight oversight. We all know about  $800 hammers from other projects. Cost over run and payments are in the 10’s of billions with Medicare/Medicaid. Step 2 is tort reform and Step 3 is the all-American competition – insurance companies competing for our business.
    I have yet to hear any politician speak to the first issue – waste, abuse, double payments, etc. IMO this seems to be a major flaw in the current system and the first one that needs to be addressed. As long as Washington keeps writing the checks from ‘our’ checkbook, I shudder to think how many more dollars will go down the drain until the plumber arrives.  Even if there were a competent oversight department, we would still need to ease into the additional steps. Very few of us are adventurers, so a trip or a step in a new direction needs support and guidance from professionals. In the meantime, I get more information from the back of a box of cornflakes and its contents that I am from D’s, R’s or I’s.

I’ll give the Mancrunch ad a miss — there’s enough stuff floating around in my brain that I wish I hadn’t allowed in, that I’m not really looking for more.

I HAVE read that this was simply a gambit to obtain a rejection for political ends….  The network says that the website folks couldn’t either put up the money or offer sufficient guarantees that they would pay – although that may no longer be operative.  If the production values are terrible, the network is probably breathing a big sigh of relief, since it offered them a way out of a very uncomfortable situation.

All in all, I can still see no good reason to have a television in my house, and this is just another confirmation of our decision.

From Gateway Pundit on the Great Thing Judd Gregg just did today:

Judd Gregg was outraged:

Gregg erupted as Orszag spoke of the TARP use to solve lingering problems with access to credit for small businesses. “No! No! No!” he yelled out. “You can’t make that type of statement with any legitimacy. You cannot make that statement.” Gregg then held up a guideline for the TARP, which he helped write in 2008 to keep the country from further economic collapse.
    “This is the law,” he said. “Let me tell you what the law says. Let me read to you again because you don’t appear to understand the law. The law is very clear. The monies recouped from the TARP shall be paid into the general fund of the Treasury for the reduction of the public debt. It’s not for a piggy bank because you’re concerned about lending to small businesses and you want to get a political event when you go out and make a speech in Nashua, N.H.”
    Gregg accused Orszag and Obama of passing on debt to generations of Americans and having an abashed sidestepping of the TARP law.“And,” he said, “you ought to at least have the integrity to be forthright about it.”

Let Freedom Ring has more on Judd’s performance and this administration’s nasty habit of running roughshod on the laws of this country.
    ——

That was almost Daniel Hannan-worthy!

I’m surprised the Democrats aren’t already sputtering.  “But… but… we can do SO MUCH GOOD with those billionsof taxpayer dollars just sitting there!  Why… think of THE CHILDREN!”

A body was found inside a wheel well of a Delta Air Lines plane after it landed in Tokyo from New York, and Japanese authorities Monday were trying to identify the man.
    The obvious question: Who is trying to determine how the man managed to avoid TSA and get near the plane.  It appears that he was ‘hitching’ what inevitably would be a one-way ticket to suicide. He was wearing only a long sleeve shirt and pants, but what if he was ‘dressed to kill’?

8. suek says

Good point, Sadie.  There’s been no identification yet…was he a Japanese young man trying to get home but no money?  was he a muslim trying another possible means of access?  So first, I want to know who ( or what) he was, and then I want to know _why_.  The who might tell us why – or not.

And of course, the security issue …   Holy Moses.  How does someone gain access?

How does someone gain access?
    Good question, I am waiting for an answer and it can’t be good because access to the tarmac is ‘suppose’ to be guarded, limited and secure.