About the race questions on that census form

Country of origin strikes me as a reasonable question for a census, although it’s not constitutionally mandated.  (The Constitution just allows for a head count.)  Race questions are obviously simply to satisfy the grievance mongers in America.  So I pass on this advice from The Corner:

Sending a Message with the Census [Mark Krikorian]

John: I haven’t gotten my letter from the Census Bureau yet asking me to make sure I fill out the questionnaire. But when I do fill it out, I’ll use it to send a message.

Fully one-quarter of the space on this year’s form is taken up with questions of race and ethnicity, which are clearly illegitimate and none of the government’s business (despite the New York Times‘ assurances to the contrary on today’s editorial page). So until we succeed in building the needed wall of separation between race and state, I have a proposal. Question 9 on the census form asks “What is Person 1’s race?” (and so on, for other members of the household). My initial impulse was simply to misidentify my race so as to throw a monkey wrench into the statistics; I had fun doing this on the personal-information form my college required every semester, where I was a Puerto Rican Muslim one semester, and a Samoan Buddhist the next. But lying in this constitutionally mandated process is wrong. Really — don’t do it.

Instead, we should answer Question 9 by checking the last option — “Some other race” — and writing in “American.” It’s a truthful answer but at the same time is a way for ordinary citizens to express their rejection of unconstitutional racial classification schemes. In fact, “American” was the plurality ancestry selection for respondents to the 2000 census in four states and several hundred counties.

So remember: Question 9 — “Some other race” — “American”. Pass it on.

Comments

I did a google and bing search on this.  If I read the responses I found correctly, answering #9 with choosing “Some Other Race” and writing in “American” is considered a “non-response”.  Ha!  But they still track it, and it was known in 1990 to be the “6th most popular answer” over-all.

I’m all for it!  What do I care if the bureaucrats sniff disdainfully and consider my answer non-responsive?

Let’s co-opt the Beatles to stick this in our heads. Drone it like Lennon:
    ” … #9 … #9 … #9 …. #9 …”
    Just answer “Some Other Race”, and pencil in “American!”

I’m pretty sure I can get five other people I know to answer American.  So I’m shooting for ten.

2. rockdalian says

Privileged being that I am, I received the pre notice of my census questionnaire  in today’s mail. I immediately deposited said notice in the trash can as I walked past it.
    I have been having an internal debate as to how to answer these questions. I will follow the advice.
    I wonder what the total expense is in mailing the notices that the census is coming. Paul Revere did it cheaper.
    It’s only taxpayer money, no big deal.

Sadie asked,
    > Why not just answer …HUMAN?

I thought of that too, and people do answer that way.

In the end, I decided that answering “Human” does not deliver a protest message about all the race-based questions (among others that don’t belong on a census form).   Answering “human” is perfectly fine, don’t get me wrong!  It just seemed too nice and potentially “one-world internationalisty” to me.   To be misconstrued into: By answering “human race”, I indicate that I want no more government borders, no countries, I love the U.N, I want the U.N., I don’t like countries or borders.  (Dang liberals own the one-world theme…)

Which leads me to:   Answering “American” has the additional benefit of expressing patriotism for this our beloved country.  When someone knows you’ve written “American race”, it removes all doubt; they know you love this country.

So I decided based on those reasons that “American race” was the better, clearer answer for what I want to express.

Well…in that case, I’d go with NASCAR or Indy 500 – they’re races or maybe since you have a French family name, you could go with Grand Prix and call it bi-racial (strike) bi-racing : )

During the 1980 Census, when I lived in CA, I used the ‘Other’ option and wrote in, “Teutonic-Celt”, since my ethnic background is German/Irish/ English, etc. My own early protest, as it were. A few weeks after sending in the Census report I was visited by two – count ‘em! Two! – census workers to have me sign my Census sheet.

I knew damn well I had signed it, and why would it take two men to ask me to sign it? So I knew they’d been ordered to see what ‘race’ I was and that my details would be added from that. It was a coercive thing then, and the same will probably happen this time, too.

But ‘American’ is good for me! That’s what I’ll use!

I answered “human” on the census survey they sent out last fall and the census people called me to get a better answer. I told them I was refusing to answer the question.

I tried to put “human” on my marriage license application but the clerk refused to accept it.

I don’t know why my race is anybody’s business.

I check “Other” and write in “Human” whenever asked this question on a form of any kind.  I did it in the last census, too.

I wrote Krikorian to that effect, and he said it would be taken as “cutesy” (like “100-yard dash”, or one presumes “Nascar”) which hardly convinced me not to do it.  There is something a bit “creepy” to me about identifying myself as of the “American race” – isn’t that kind of a non-sequitur?

But then I read his next post on The Corner, in which it turns out that “Human” isn’t counted, just ignored, while “American” *IS* counted – so my protest will actually do some good.

I immediately forwarded a copy of the Corner Post (you could use this Bookworm post) to every single person in my e-mail file and URGED them to check “Other” and write in “American”.  Let them know we aren’t going to take it anymore!!

P.S. Then, all you Californians — get hold of that petition to insist on picture ID at the polls, sign it, fill out the “circulator” section, and send it in!

P.P.S. Then call your Congress-critter and tell it that a vote for Obamacare means you’re working for any opponent that shows up to run against him/her.

We’ve got to get busy or we’re going to get run over and plowed under!  It’s getting very late in the game and NO ONE can afford to sit on the bench!  I signed up for the local Tea Party, and I wrote my Congressman today.  Let’s roll…..!