Obama’s dog comparison is a really and truly weird thing to say

Showing that he can go off teleprompter — and that he probably shouldn’t — Obama whined (pun intended) about the treatment he feels Republicans are meting out to him:

“Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they’re not always happy with me. They talk about me like a dog. That’s not in my prepared remarks, but it’s true,” he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Do I even need to mention here the fact that, the moment Obama goes off teleprompter, despite the fact that he’s the most genius of all geniuses ever to occupy the White House, evah!, he becomes completely illiterate and unintelligible?  I mean, what the heck kind of construction is that first sentence?  But getting back to the dog thing….

Accusing his opponents of demeaning him by treating him like a dog is a truly bizarre thing for a president to say.  In our two party system, the norm is for the opposition to be in attack mode, especially when a president sets out to be “transformational.”  For Obama to whimper because he’s on the receiving end of political challenges is just . . . well, peculiar, not to mention narcissistic, not to mention really scary coming spontaneously from the muzzle, er, mouth of our Commander in Chief.  The man isn’t just a whiner, he’s a weiner dog.

But there’s more to it than that, and my good friend, Earl, in a comment left to an earlier post, nails it:

I admit it – I couldn’t listen to the whiner-in-chief.

But his remarks about the dog really made me sit up straight….a DOG?  Who is it that has such a hard time about dogs?  Americans (mostly) LOVE dogs!!  Who refuses to allow even a Seeing-Eye dog in the same room?  Who won’t carry an assistance dog in their cab?  Who?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

No wonder the American people are so unsure about this guy……..!

Earl’s absolutely right.  Americans are nuts about their dogs.  Recessions or not, Americans spend about $45 billion annually on their pets.  Those pets include dogs, lots of dogs.  Dogs who get fed premium food, sleep on the owner’s beds and couches, and frequently (whether the dog likes it or not) wear natty clothing.  Dogs are cuddled, pampered, played with and praised in American culture.  They are our companions and our helpmates.  We think well of them.

The Muslim world, however, does not like dogs.  To call someone a dog is an insult.  Dogs are unclean.  Periodically, sharia-mad nations enact laws banning dogs.  And, as Earl pointed out, even within our own country, Muslims periodically exhibit hostility to dogs.

Now, I’m not saying Obama is a Muslim.  I’ve repeatedly said that I believe he is not a Muslim.  I don’t think he’s a Christian either, even the kind of weird Christianity you find in Black Liberation Theology.  I don’t believe Obama worships any God other than himself — and to the extent his religion of self has a distinct doctrine, it meshes harmoniously with Das Kapital.

I also freely acknowledge that Obama has a dog, although I have no doubt whatsoever that this dog exists in the White House for two reasons only:  publicity and his daughters’ happiness.  There’s nothing wrong with having a dog for either of those reasons.  Neither reason, however, indicates that Obama is, in the grand American tradition, a dog lover.  The one photograph of Obama and his doggy that I recall seeing shows him being completely helpless, as if in the presence of an alien species.  The guy doesn’t even know how to hold a leash, for goodness sake!

Nevertheless, even though Obama is not a Muslim and is a dog owner, he doesn’t have that cozy mental space in his head that Americans reserve for dogs.  To him, calling someone a dog is an insult.  To him, dogs are not loving creatures with thousands of years of inter-relationship with humans.  They are the other.  And by making that statement, off-record, and from his heart, Obama once again makes it clear that, as to ordinary American sensibilities, it is in fact he who is the other.  He’s not a Muslim, nor a Kenyan nor an Indonesian born man, but is still very much a stranger in his own land.

Comments

I hear he makes one HECK of a good arugula salad.  And he consistently wears his little helmet when he goes bike riding.

And he still welcomes Al Gore when the Goracle comes calling, even though global warming has been proven to be a fraud and likely a criminal enterprise dedicated to bilking the American People of billions of their hard-earned money.  That kind of loyalty to the charlatan Goracle could be considered a plus.  Loyalty is hard to come by these days!  Or if it’s not loyalty, then it is blind, fervent devotion to a totally discredited cause… and that kind of blind, fervent misguided devotion to an ideological crusade might be considered a plus in some circles, too!

2. wrwoodman says

A dog could do a better job than Obama.  And most people I know speak well of dogs and try to help the dog that is in need.  Maybe jack-ass would be a better animal to use for that comparison.

3. Spartacus says

He has united the common folk; shaken us out of our civic apathy; inspired a grassroots movement with the potential to reclaim our country; and mobilized an army against the forces of darkness, in a way that no overt conservative could ever have done.  Give him a little credit, will ya?  ;)

4. suek says

Hey…Martha Stewart has even designed a line of fashion for the dogs!  Apparently specifically at Petco…

(And NO…my dogs don’t get MS designed _anything_.  They’re _dogs_!!!)

5. Spartacus says

Ymarsakar — On something of a side-note caveat, I would humbly submit for your consideration that there can be great value in sounding moderate, pleasant, reasonable, balanced, and accomodating… especially before taking up a position which your audience is likely to find quite extreme.  But more to the point, in this particular case, trust me… I was just kidding!

I think that we are beginning to see the first signs of total breakdown, when a narcissist begins to realize that people no longer adore him. We may be entering even more dangerous and unstable times.

Spartacus, my response covers both legitimate statement and a non-serious statement to the effect.

We may be entering even more dangerous and unstable times.

Malignant narcissists always become abusive and destructive at that stage.

Danny Lemieux

You make a good point – his bite may well be worse than his bark.

Sorry…couldn’t help myself with all the puns.

9. Gringo says

A President of a nearby country once made a reference to a dog which he later came to regret. President José Lopez Portillo is commonly seen as being Mexico’s worst President, as he squandered the oil bonanza of the lae 1970s into foreign debt. In 1982, President José Lopez Portillo vowed to “fight like a dog” to defend the peso against any devaluations. He didn’t fight very well, as drastic devaluations followed shortly after he left office in late 1982.
    José Lopez Portillo built a complex of five mansions for himself and his family in Mexico City, which soon acquired the nickname of “Dog Hill.” The mansions were seen as proof of allegations of corruption.

I read in National Review in 1983 that when former President Lopez Portillo was observed dining in a restaurant, the other patrons began barking at him. Lopez Portillo fled the restaurant.

Will people begin barking at Obama?

10. BrianE says

This is an odd phrase- “They talk about me like a dog”.

The phrase might make more sense as “They treat me like a dog” or “They talk to me like a dog.”

I might also expect something like “They talk about me like I’m some sort of socialist bent on transforming capitalism to serve the interests of the state” or some such (that would be the detached intellectual in him).

There’s nothing wrong with that– but it might make a person tone deaf to the nuances of American life.

11. Gringo says

Last night, Instapundit linked to a Jimmy Hendrix song, which may explain the origin of  “talk about me like a dog.”

Everyday in the week Im in a different city
    If I stay too long people try to pull me down
    They talk about me like a dog
    Talkin about the clothes I wear
    But they dont realise theyre the ones whos square

This could be where Obama got “talk about me like a dog.” If so, it is not the first time he made a cultural reference that most didn’t initially catch. For example, his “We are the ones we are waiting for” came from an Alice Walker poem.
    “Talk about me like a dog”  is certainly not a common phrase in American English.

12. Spartacus says

Sadie, your witicisms are fetching, often roll around playfully, and frequently have a sharp bite to them.  So long as your humor doesn’t start scratching for fleas or licking for hygiene, please make no effort to control yourself.  =)

“It reminds me of Ziva in the tv series NCIS, who constantly mangle American colloquialisms.”

You’re the second person to mention NCIS on the net that I have seen in the last year. Which is only the second person of all times that i have seen mention it.

BrianE:

I think the idea he is a stranger in a strange land is apt. He seems to be more at home with his foreign upbringing– he wasn’t an American boy raised in a foreign country, he was the son of a foreign national in a foreign country.”

Except there is one key difference.  Ziva David (short I sound) wants to become an American and loves the US and its values.

Further, you’re right, BrianE, he wasn’t an American raised in a foreign country, he was the son of a foreign national in a foreign country. In college I had a couple of friends who were raised overseas (military brats, etc) who said that they often felt “left out” when the rest of us were talking about “when we were kids” such as what TV shows we watched, etc.  But, my friends differed from Obama in that, despite being raised overseas, they were clearly raised to BE Americans, were proud of the US. and cherished its values.  They may have been lacking in the popular culture experiences that the rest of us shared; but they still were Americans because of those core values.

It becomes more and more clear that Obama was taught few, if any, core American values; never cared to learn them, and even today doesn’t really know what they are.  But he sure picked up on “urban” styles and leftist ideas, didn’t he?  Giving Hillary the “finger”,  talking about country folks clinging to their guns and religion, talk of redistributing the wealth . . .

Spartacus, you threw an old dog a bone treat, which I gratefully ‘woof’ down.
    I promise not to roll over and play dead if you promise not to get a leg up on me [in fire hydrant sort of way].

Obama imported his core values from a family who had no American core values.

Is there anything more American than baseball. Is there anything less American than not being able to name ONE White Sox player from the former community organizer, former senator and one day former president.

What’s the old joke? A man goes into a bar with a dog and bets the bartender that the dog not only can talk but is an expert on baseball.

The bartender says prove it.

The man turns to the dog and says, “Who set a one-season homerun record in 1927 that stood for years?”

The dog barks, “Roof!”

The bartender, having seen enough already, picks up the man and the dog by the scruff of their necks and throws them out of the bar.

On the sidewalk, as both of them are picking themselves up, the dog turns to the man and says, “Perhaps I should have said ‘DiMaggio?'”

18. Tommygun says

Aside from the Muslim issue, there is a very sound reason for the “dog” comment: He’s playing the race card by claiming people are treating him as a dirty non-human beast.

The race issue is still the 18,000-pound King Kong in the room that commentators are still timid to discuss in analyzing the politics.  Unless this changes, he WILL win again in 2012.

19. Gringo says

Ymarsakar
    Gringo, wasn’t Obama stoned out on Jimmy Hendrix songs back in his Harvard days?

I doubt he did much more than study and politic at Harvard Law. For his first two years at Occidental, perhaps. It would not surprise me that he had listened to  Hendrix, regardless of whether he was sober or not. Compare the photo of Obama at Occidental with the one of Jimi Hendrix from the video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-shaw/reading-the-pictures-emob_b_152726.html Obama photo at Occidental
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nmzOqHinw JimiHendrix “talk about me like a dog”

20. Spartacus says

OK, Martel, I’ll see your bar joke and raise you a Far Side.

A dog is being interviewed on a late-night chat show.  The host says something like, “So, tell us, Rex, how long have you been able to talk?”  Rex is replying, something like, “Well, Bob, I’ve been talking for about three years now…”  Because of the angle of the drawing, we notice that Rex is reading off of a teleprompter.

(I was just gonna fold until I realized that with the dog and teleprompter, I was holding onto a pair.)

Re #30:  Oh, my gosh! Life imitates art.  I always knew Gary Larson was brilliant, but I never knew he was prescient.  I think we’d better check out the barns for the cows plotting, and I’m getting suspicious about the ants now too.

Okay, totally off original post topic; but, I love NCIS.  All the characters are well written and played by good actors.  Oh, and I am old enough to have The Man from U.N.C.L.E. flashbacks whenever David McCallum playing “Ducky” enters an episode.

And speaking of jokes; here’s one (Book, PLEASE delete this comment if it is too far below your standards. I will NOT be offended if it is deleted)

At an international medical conference, several doctors are bragging about their latest operations; specifically organ transplants.

An Israeli Doctor says that they have succesfully transplanted a testicle from one man to another and that the donor was able to go home after a week of rest.

The German doctor says that’s nothing, we took half a brain from one man, implanted it in another and both men were able to function after a month.

A French doctor, says: well, we French have been able to take a heart from one person, implant it in another and both were able to function within two months.

The American Doctor in the room, says, well that’s all well and good what you all have accomplished. But, here in America, we took a man with no heart, no brain, and no balls and made him President!

23. BrianE says

“Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they’re not always happy with me.”

Maybe this is the money line. Ignoring that he got his tenses wrong, are we to surmise that the same folks that had been dominating the agenda in Washington might still be dominating the agenda, and when Obama goes off the reservation, they’re not happy with him, but other times they are?

It would be interesting to know which times they’re happy with him and which times they’re not! I would surmise these folks might be the banksters on Wall Street, the unions, the globalists… I’m trying to think of a time they might not have been happy with him.

Oh, that’s not the interests he was talking about? Go figure.

So many good ones here!  I’ll rant and rave on 12, 13 and 14:

Sadie #12: Bark Obama going off script has set himself up for an unleashed week of kibbles and bits of humor.
    Charles Martel #13: We’ll know he’s reached bottom when he stands out in front of a bank yelling, “Attica! Attica!”

Gringo #14: A President of a nearby country once made a reference to a dog which he later came to regret.  [...] Former President Lopez Portillo was observed dining in a restaurant, the other patrons began barking at him. Lopez Portillo fled the restaurant.
    (And the big payoff from Gringo is his final line!)  Will people begin barking at Obama?

1. You Won’t Have Obama To Kick Around Anymore…

Richard Nixon’s bitter farewell after his defeat for governor of California in 1962: “You won’t have Nixon to kick around anymore…” Now we have President Obama one-upping Nixon, whining that he feels that some critics talk about him like a dog. M…