Comments

1. Friend of USA says

I doubt the insane loudness of TV ads attracts more customers or increases sales.

I think it is a  “repellant” and makes you either quickly leave the room or press the mute button.

In the end very few people are paying attention to the loud commercials.

The louder the more counterproductive in my opinion.

But back to more serious things.

Obama is underqualified to be President, so I suppose the volume of TV ads is something he can tackle if he can squeeze it between two basketball games and two golf games…

Obama was supposed to “stop the rising of the oceans”…I guess history books will have  to setle for “stopping the rise of volume in TV ads”…

2. ELaineT says

That bill was sponsored by my local Congresscritter, Anna Eshoo.  The local newspaper ran an article on it the other day, quoting her as saying she’s had more public comments on it than anything else she’s ever done in Congress.  She claimed to have people coming up to her and thanking her for it. Californians.  I may live here, but I don’t fit in.

The “bandwidth” of any decision-making organization is inherently limited. This is why intelligent organizations devolve most of their decision-making to places other than the central leadership. The wise CEO knows that he will be much more effective if he does *not* try to make all the decisions for his company, but establishes and maintains other centers of responsibility and accountability, focusing his own efforts on decisions which can inherently be made nowhere else.

Congress seems to have no comprehension of its own limited bandwidth, and hence spends time on TV volume control, etc, while not having time to read the health care bill.

I’d like to get my local rep to sponsor a similar bill.
    Every time the president opens his mouth, the television automatically goes to full mute. MOM-TV – Make Obama Mute.

I believe Anna Eshoo when she says that, too.  There are few things that irritate me more than stations that blast the commercials and I’d thank her too for fixing the problem (leaving aside the extent to which government should be in the TV regulation business to begin with).  The truth is most people care most deeply about those things that affect their daily lives.  Sure, Congresspersons should focus on the “big” issues, but as often as not they get re-elected because of their reaction to the little issues.

For example, I can tell you from personal experience that my Congressman, Pete Stark, is a radical leftist who in no way politically represents his suburban, middle-class to working class constituents.  But he wins by unbelievable margins, partly because of name recognition, but also partly because he has an outstanding ombudsman function in his office.  He may be far from his constituents on the “big” issues, but on the issues that affect their day-to-day lives, both minor political issues and individual issues, he is outstanding.  As a result, he is unbeatable and the Republicans don’t even try.

6. suek says

Things _may_ be a-changin’.

Well…we can dream, can’t we?

Actually, this is yet another legislative action that stifles private inventiveness.  After all, why should someone invent a gizmo that you could hook up to your TV that will regulate sound to a preferred level if the government just “makes” the local cable channel do it for you!  My son bought us a telephone “Zapper” some years ago.  It won’t end _all_ unwanted phone solicitors/poll takers, but if the call is computer generated, it sends back a signal that tells the computer that our phone number is not a good number.  It doesn’t eliminate all those political calls, but talking to fellow workers, it apparently filters out quite a few of them.

I’ve wondered why someone hasn’t invented a gizmo to stabilize volume on TVs…some of the ads may be too loud, but some of the shows suffer from either too loud or too quiet dialogue.  Of course…what would happen if you have a nice tender love scene, or perhaps the good guys sneaking up on the bad guys – would the volume all come out the same???  that would sort of destroy the mood…!

7. BrianE says

We will never get the budget under control until we abolish baseline budgeting.

Anyone know of an industry, business or household that factors in inflation, some seeming arbitrary increase in demand for the service and then calls that a zero percent increase and calls anything less than that a cut when the actual dollar amount spent increases?

I’d like to think we’re all adults and can understand that inflation and increase in population may create a need for increased budgets for a particular program. But why can’t they just say that. X program spent $Y last year. Inflation is 2%, there are x number of additional people that will be using the service so the budget needs to be increased to Y + inflation + increased demand.

What’s so hard about that. But no, they have to lie to us. They’re a bunch of liars.

On second thought, they’re a bunch of liars and crooks.

Actually, they’re a bunch of liars and crooks and thieves.

Everyone except my congressman. He’s a good guy.

My wife is still pissed about the $5,000 I was taking to the bank that day when an incredibly charming and glib man talked me out of the money in exchange for some magic beans.

The beans weren’t a total bust. They produced a strange black box, something like a mini-version of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey, which we later learned scientists call a “universal remote.”

It turns out that one of the magic buttons on the “universal remote” controls volume. Every time a loud ad comes on the TV, we push on that button, and whattayaknow, the damned volume goes down!

He may be far from his constituents on the gbigh issues, but on the issues that affect their day-to-day lives, both minor political issues and individual issues, he is outstanding.

That’s how the communists took over so many organizations such as civil liberties for women. The fact that in the long term this means the Left now controls women as slaves, was a small price to pay for the benefits, right.

I stopped watching tv years ago. So I have no idea what people are talking about here.

Everyone except my congressman. Hefs a good guy.

Community organizer. When the Left said it, it was as a compliment. Because they knew its power while we were mostly ignorant of it.

Charles Martel – you rock my world and make it giggle.

Damn…for a split second, $5,000, some beans a black box and me, silly me, thought you were making your first haj to the ka’aba (off season of course) when I realized they were ‘real’ beans, not the ones to make hummus.

11. jj says

The hilarious part of all this of course is that the FCC has had this rule in place for fifty years.  You don’t need to pass a bill.  You don’t need to pass someone in the slow lane, pass wind, pass water, or pass anything else, just pick up the damn phone and say; ‘Hey, FCC, legislative branch here – enforce the goddam law on broadcast commercial volume.”  Period.  Done.  Zero grandstanding, or BS of any description.

I thought so, too, jj, (though I thought it was only for over-the-air broadcasts) but the article disagrees, “The FCC has been receiving complaints from consumers since the 1960s about jarring sound bursts when commercials come on, but the commission currently does not regulate program or commercial volume.”

Anyone know who is right?

13. jj says

Find a better article, Don… we always had to watch it at the network level during my tenure, it goers right back to radio days – and does not cover cable.  (Nothing covers cable, they get away with everything – though if this new deal wants to be of some actual use it could address that issue, too.)

Speaking of find a better article, I’m noticing that in the wake of the summer stories are appearing all over the place about the Northwest Passage being navigable, owing to the “historically low levels of ice” that have seen it open pretty regularly since 2007.  Overlooking, of course, that Roald Amundsen did it in 1907, the Norwegian crew of the St. Roche did it more or less regularly between 1940 and 1946, and it was done by several expeditions throughout the 1950s – notably the American expedition in 1957, the old Geophysical Year.

Maybe in Rockefeller Center we were all just incredibly sensitive to the wishes of the TV-watching public without the benefit of any mandate – but I doubt it.

Democrat priorities…

Newscaster:  “North Korea has just threatened South Korea with nuclear annihilation.  Millions of people in Seoul, South Korea, would be incinerated alive by the nuclear blast.”

Liberal Democrat at home watching:  “Oh my God!  Think of the damage to the environment!”