Sarah Palin’s statement

If you haven’t already seen it, here’s a link to the video of Sarah Palin’s response to the shootings — the actual bullets aimed at real bodies in Tucson, and the rhetorical bullets aimed at political bodies in Tucson’s wake.

The beginning, with it’s platitudes about “the process of healing” (and when did mourning become therapeutic) left me cold.  Palin hits her stride, though, when she quotes Reagan, and she just keeps going. I’m ambivalent about a Palin presidency, but I sure think she’s an important, clear and honest voice on the political scene, and she grows in stature with every bizarre attack against her.

Comments

1. jj says

I have few objections to the idea of her in the White House – I think it’s time we tried what – for lack of a better term – might be called a “regular person.”  She couldn’t possibly screw things up worse than the (alleged) professional politicians have, could she?  (Could anybody?) I have no rooted objection to giving a regular folk a shot.  And, let it not be forgotten, that this particular regular person has in fact run something, and is about eighty times as qualified as the jackass currently in the White House

I like her statement, particularly its referencing of Ronald Reagan.  I’m with you, I don’t much require a “process for healing,” being in need of neither process nor healing, but if other people want to spend time at a memorial in Tucson – fine.  (I plan to spend absolutely no time at all wallowing in – or even observing – it.  Call me unfriendly.)

I had to laugh at Hillary Clinton’s BS – this was a “brave” congresswoman?  What the hell did she ever do in her life that was “brave?”  Spend the last two years with her mouth fastened to Pelosi’s ass?  (Okay, I guess given the reality of what anyone could plainly see happening in the real world as a result of Pelosi that took some bravery.  Or galactic-class stupidity.)

Getting sick of Sheriff Dopenik, too, or whatever the hell his name is.  This clown is not helping with my generally-not-very-elevated view of most of our law enforcement not-very-civil servants.

I guess this whole clusterf*** has me fairly pissed off.  Sorry.

2. Oldflyer says

I don’t understand this national mourning bit.  I really don’t understand why Congress takes the week off, and the Prez rushes to the scene.  There used to be a little tradition in the Navy when you lost a comrade–even in peace time.  You flew the schedule.  Later, you had a memorial service, or funeral if there was a body.  I think that act honors the lost, more than wallowing in sack cloth and ashes; especially when the show is put on for people for whom you have no connection.
    I know that many people will not agree with the above; and many sensitive souls will be horrified.
    I note with disgust what  the White House told the father of a fallen soldier, a retired Colonel himself, who asked that the Prez call the soldier’s mother (Mother and father were apparently separated).  He was told that the Prez doesn’t do that.  But, I note that he called the victims in Tuscon; and he is rushing out to do a public mourning act.
    As for Palin.  I would love to see her as Secretary of Energy or the Interior in the post-2012 GOP Administration.  After a period of Washington seasoning she could decide whether to run in, say, 2020.  She would be in her mid to late 50s.  A perfect age for a Presidential candidate.

I too remain ambivalent over a Sarah Palin presidency, though she’s got every right to throw her hat into the ring.  So to speak.    Say what you will about the nefarious tactics of Katie Couric in that infamous interview, or of the editing process that made Palin out to be less-educated and less-informed than she actually was; Palin shot herself in the foot big time.

Presidential candidates must show wisdom in the political process above all else, and by wading so early into the national political process, and by being unprepared for it, she didn’t show enough wisdom.  She’s got the broad populist appeal of Ronald Reagan, and she’s got a great message.  But she’s not Reagan; she’s still not capable of giving such a speech as he gave in nominating Goldwater for President in ’64… and he required twelve more years of political seasoning even after that before he ran for President in ’76.  I suspect Sarah, as much as I admire her and love her as a conservative spokesman, has a ways to go yet as well.

BUT – and it is a big but – she has broad convinving appeal among constituencies that the Left believes they own, and that is why they consider her a *huge* threat.  And she proclaims a version of feminism that is very appealing but completely in opposition to far-left feminism, and they *hate*, absolutely hate her for that.  That feminist appeal must never be allowed to compete against far-left feminism.  So they will do everything they can to destroy her, no matter what.

The admirable lady is holding up quite well under the unending, vicious assault!  She is in her trial by fire, now.  Who knows?  Maybe we’ll come to realize we don’t need another Reagan.  Maybe a new shining example – the Sarah Palin model – will prove to be the right one for our times.

4. MacG says

“though she’s got every right to throw her hat into the ring.”  Hey now, don’t go inciting all of those assissin villian types with killer bowler hats like in hte bond films…

MacG, I was thinking of berets, not bowler hats!  That is because President Obama recently declared France to be our greatest ally, not Great Britain with whom we have declared a “special relationship” which our noble Savior and Lord Obama can’t even bring himself to acknowledge, perhaps because he needs to spend the rest of his time hating on Israel.

Besides, Hugo Chavez, friend of Obama, Sean Penn, Danny Glover, and Oliver Stone prefers the beret too, as did Che Guevara, that spiritual and noble mass murderer, whose visage emblazons the fronts of the T-Shirts of immature teenagers and university “scholars” everywhere.

I prefer the T-shirt I bought with Che covered over by the “DO NOT” symbol, the red circle with the mid-slant slash.
    My God, I just realized, that’s hateful political speech that I should be criticized, fined, or perhaps jailed for expressing!  I deserve the vituperation and spit that far-Leftists would heap upon me should I wear that shirt in public; the pummeling by fist; the arrow-shot; the bullet delivered by the crazed Leftist.  Or if not that, the keying of my car’s paint job by a snickering coward when I’ve just disappeared into the grocery store.  Justice!  Speaking Truth To Power!

I’ll help you out identifying my car so you can merely key it: I’m driving that black foreign SUV that just parked in front of the local GreenPeace building; you know, that car that Al Gore just got out of.

6. stanley says

The only reason I voted in the last election was because of Sarah Palin. My non-vote was a protest. My vote, while ultimately I thought would be wasted, was also a protest vote backed by action, as opposed to the passivity of non-voting. My thinking ran along the lines of JJ. Let’s get someone who came where most of us came from. I am 65 yrs old. I am no longer impressionable by people who speak well, are articulate, have many credentials from places I could not get into (wasn’t smart enough, didn’t care to). My observation is that these people infest government and the big multi-national corps and are responsible, along with much public inertia, for putting us in the position we are in. So again, why not someone from outside of this clique? Since I can identify with Sarah Palin, average upbringing, public education, high school athletics, good family etc and I can’t with the elites, I can feel comfortable with her. Her big episode with Katie Couric with nothing more than a freshman mistake. She has more, much more than made up for that and in a rematch would eat Couric’s lunch. Do some of you really still hold that against her? Don’t you believe in growth and learning lessons? Because if there is one thing else she is good at is learning lessons. She is not who she was back then, having grown by leaps and bounds by all of the contemporaries with whom she was associated with at that time. Can you say that Obama has “learned and grown”? Biden? Secy Clinton? (she looks tired and haggard and buried in the background). The national media? The left? Congress (both R and D)? I do not believe the US is going to get a soft landing. We are all going to have to pay the price for our laxity and intellectual lazines of the past few decades.It will not be pretty or easy and the only potential beneficiaries of this expected experience will (hopefully) be your children and grandchildren. If there is one thing I have faith in, it is that there are many “average” Americans who are extraordinary people, and these people look more like Sarah Palin to me than ANYBODY in political office. Since I hold this view, that means I also know that there are lots of very competent, moral people out there, unknown and unheralded, who, when the shit hits the fan will be the foundation of whatever rebuilding and recovery we can muster.  I think that this is why the establishment keeps up its relentless attack on Palin because they are scared to death that they will awaken the thing they fear the most, and is embodied by that which we see of Palin. She cannot fix the countrie’s problems by herself or even with the help of congress, but if the people who identify with her, and are like her are really awakened, the evil that is going on in this country cannot survive.