This morning, I read and enjoyed Jeannie DeAngelis’ post about a potential Herman Cain candidacy.  From everything I’ve heard, including musings from our own Danny Lemieux, Cain is a person one would like to have in the White House.  He may not have a political track record, but he’s still got a lot more under his belt than our current president.  The latter had a few years voting “present” in regional and national senates, and a cushioned existence as a lecturer and activist.  Cain has lived out in the real world, and made a success of himself.  He has a moral center, and the ability to communicate those values.  We could do — and are now doing — infinitely worse.

But DeAngelis said one thing that struck me as wrong.  She believes that Cain’s race (he’s black for those few who might not have heard of him) would take race off the table in the next election.  My instinctive reaction was “No way!”  No one inspires a racial frenzy on the Left the way a conservative black person does.  The old “Uncle Tom” insult is nothing compared to what the Left dishes out now.  Just think of the vicious “Mammy” attacks on Condi Rice.

I didn’t have to wait very long for my instincts to be proven right.  AlterNet, a loud and popular Leftist site, just published one of the most vile racist rants I’ve ever seen.  Because it doesn’t deserve your links, I’ll reprint the post here (copied from Hot Air):

In the immortal words of Megatron in Transformers: The Movie, Herman Cain’s speech at CPAC really is bad comedy. As you know, I find black garbage pail kids black conservatives fascinating not because of what they believe, but rather because of how they entertain and perform for their White Conservative masters.

When race minstrelsy was America’s most popular form of mass entertainment, black actors would often have to pretend to be white men, who then in turn would put on the cork to play the role of the “black” coon, Sambo, or Jumping Jim Crow. Adding insult to injury, in a truly perverse and twisted example of the power of American white supremacy black vaudevillians would often pretend to be white in order to denigrate black people for the pleasures of the white gaze. …

In total, CPAC is a carnival and a roadshow for reactionary Conservatives. It is only fitting that in the great tradition of the freak show, the human zoo, the boardwalk, and the great midway world’s fairs of the 19th and 20th centuries, that there is a Borneo man, a Venus Hottentot or a tribe of cannibals from deepest darkest Africa or Papua New Guinea on display. For CPAC and the White Conservative imagination, Herman Cain and his black and brown kin are that featured attraction.

We always need a monkey in the window, for he/she reminds us of our humanity while simultaneously reinforcing a sense of our own superiority. Sadly, there are always folks who are willing to play that role because it pays so well.

Believe it or not, there’s a much bigger insult in the above text than the blatant, obvious, KKK-style name-calling.  It is the notion that blacks are nothing more than puppets.  They don’t bring anything original to the table.  Instead, they simply dance for their political masters, with those who dance for the conservatives being the idiot field hands, while those who dance for the Progressive puppeteers are the deserving house slaves.  To demean a group that way, to imply that its members are incapable of making rational decisions (whether or not one agrees with those decisions) is more racist than foul language and antiquated imagery AlterNet can strain itself to produce.

Cross-posted at Right Wing News

Comments

A few years ago one of my oldest friends asked me why I’d left the Democratic Party. I gave her several reasons, but said the main one was the party’s racism. Its condecension and deliberate wrecking of the black family told me I was in among people who despised blacks (including black party members who have internalized the party’s hatred for them).

She was taken aback. She could not understand how quotas (affirmative action) and culture-wrecking machinations like the marginalizing of fathers, welfare, toxic public schools and locating abortuaries on every other block could constitute anything other than a kind, compassionate approach to a horribly wronged and disadvantaged group.

What the fook are they talking about. Megatron?

I got your Megatron right here in my fist. That’s your Megatron.

These tools are jokers. They need to stop beclowning themselves. I ain’t paying em a dime. They ain’t getting a dime. They need a freaking job, that’s what.

As opposed to the role you play, which pays zero in cash, status, or women.

Be assured, I never underestimate the Left’s hatred. Because my own is greater than theirs ever will be.

3. bizcor says

“Never underestimate hate from the Left, especially when it comes to conservative blacks”

Not to mention conservative women. Liberals are hippocrates (pardon the redundancy).

4. Michael Adams says

I may be the oldest commenter here who is from the South, so I want to share a very vivid first-hand memory.  Racism, the idea that you can know something about the inside of a person by what you can see on the outside, was dying when I was a child.  Bigotry, on the other hand, has lived to a very vigorous  old age. This was always the tough part for me, because the South, even when it was unequal, was always very integrated.  Nasty things said about people of African descent were nasty things said about my friends, neighbors, school mates, the school janitor who explained long division to me, the circulating nurse who held my hand when they were putting me under for my tonsillectomy. If it was possible to say any one thing about so large a group, it was that they were warm. They were real, alive, not abstract at all. The hatred for Conservatives of color is such a graphic and sickening example of this “love humanity/hate people” thing that is so characteristic of the Left. I don’t know Mr. Cain, but, having heard him on the radio, I feel as if I almost do.

It disturbs as not much else can do, after a long and disturbing life, that people will say such utterly vile things about Michelle Bachman, Sarah Palin, and Mr. Cain.  Whatever one thinks about the tenth amendment, or the second, or deficit spending, the cold hatchet jobs that these people do, remind me of the stunted young souls in in the Khmer Rouge Ankh or in futurist  British novels, e.g. The Children of Men, or A Clockwork Orange.

We must work against them.  We must watch.  Those who can must pray against such people.  I do not want to live in a world that they run.

5. Oldflyer says

Well, I have to confess that there are a lot of us out here that believe that our current President is a puppet.  I am afraid that his race plays a part in our thinking. But, in our defense we don’t think he is a puppet simply because of his race. Although we think he was chosen for the role because of political “affirmative action” considerations; it is his absolute vacuity that persuades us.
    Michael Adams, unless you are older than 75 I have you beat.  In my South there were no black visiting nurses, and my friends and neighbors were lily white. (some Cuban and Italian in Tampa).   Sad, but true.  We did associate with many “colored people”; they did the menial work.  As a kid, I also did some of the same type of work, and thus rubbed elbows.  Many of us were quite fond of the day-maids, or the old farm worker.   But, integrated–no.  Sorry, but that was the way it was. We thought it was “normal”, if we thought of it at all.
    Of course those attitudes were thought normal throughout most of  human history.  I just finished two beautifully researched historical  novels related to the crumbling Roman Empire. Some citizens felt affection for their favored slaves.  But, they did not confuse status.
    But, back to Book’s premise.  As an Southerner of a certain age, I admire the true self-made Black American, particularly one from the South,  because I have seen with my own eyes where they started from just a generation ago.

6. Michael Adams says

Old Flyer, nope, only sixty, which is a pretty good indication of how things changed in fifteen years. Also, I grew up in northeast Texas, which was racist, but perhaps not as viscerally so as further east. I did have the same experience of rubbing elbows with my fellow menials of other colors, though, since the process of economic equality continues to this day, more slowly, of course, because of Mr. Johnson’s largess.

My point is still that the nastiness of racists, Left or Right, is an attack on very real people, some of whom have been very kind to me over the years.  I take it quite personally.