Guess the context for this quotation

Fourth of July, the national celebration of combustion, presents an opportunity for atonement.

Are

believing

this

one,

from

the

NYT:

FOOD is responsible for 10 to 30 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. By many estimates, cooking represents more of a meal’s carbon footprint than transport. For certain vegetables, it accounts for more emissions than agriculture, transport and disposal combined.

[snip]

Now for the burgers and dogs. First, a green disclaimer. Beef is an environmental disaster, no matter how you cook it. However, if you can’t resist grilled cow, your big decision is between charcoal and propane.

[snip]

And finally we come to dessert. Skip the pie. Baking is so energy profligate that the government hasn’t yet figured out a way to reward any residential ovens with the Energy Star label.

Yup.  Having run out of other cudgels with which to bludgeon Americans, we’re now being told that our 4th of July grill is an ill-conceived idea that’s destroying the world.  This kind of ties in with my earlier post today about the fact that Republicans haven’t “appropriated” July 4th; instead, Democrats haven’t just abandoned it, they’ve spat all over it.

I was originally going to avoid cooking on July 4th, since I don’t like to cook.  However, even less than liking cooking, I don’t like being hectored, bullied, blackmailed and intimidated.  It’s hamburger and cakes this July 4th!

Comments

Well, I’m going to fire up the charcoal grill and not put anything on it!

Eff you, NYT!

Eff you, Mother Gaia!

Eff you, Al Gore!

Eff you, East Anglia pack of lyin’ punks!

And that’s just for breakfast.

The Left will decide who does or does not deserve life. The Left will determine the meaning and time of your birth, the context and purpose of your death. They will determine how much you suffer in life and make sure you are the most miserable being in existence. The Left will determine, on its own cognizance, which classes are allowed to buy and eat certain luxuries. They will decide whether your social class and status is high enough to warrant consuming and buying luxuries, wearing and appearing in certain clothes, and being greeted by certain titles.

The Left seeks to enslave all, in order to determine all that you are and all that you can be.

Martel, didn’t I tell you that the local Planned Parenthood clinic has plenty of stuff in the refrigerator that they claim can be put on the grill. I believe they have a kind of partnership with necrophiliacs or something. Maybe ACORN can have a piece of the action, after they get done importing child sex slaves from overseas.

4. Midknight says

In other words… we should feel guilty to be alive, since the very act of breathing, and the animals we consume, all contribute to killing holy mother gaia

5. Michael Adams says

Amen! Cook it, Sister! Prole that In am, I am working on the Fourth, but my daughter-in-law, who’s PREGNANT again, is making cherry pie, to eat with ice cream. I’m taking the next day off, for the Austin Republican Club luncheon, so I can even stay up late, using electric lights, no less.

6. JKB says

Well, it is interesting that they lament the fair of the low-sloping forehead types but the NYT is all about tempting massive apartment house fires for homemade pizza  Althouse: Does the NYT care about the carbon footprint of its wonderful pizza-cooking technique? In a town supposedly renowned for its many, many superior pizza vendors.  Really, first pre-heat  your oven at 500 for an hour?  At least a pie has fruit and will satisfy either more people or more meals.

7. Libby says

So the food police have joined forces with the green police – lovely! I’m still not sure how atonement fits into the 4th of July. I’ll be picking up some extra steaks (or as the NYT likes to call it, “grilled cow”) and veggies this morning so that I can grill all weekend, not just on the 4th.
    When can we expect a lecture on how dangerous fireworks are and how harmful they are for the environment?

8. Gringo says

JKB: good catch. It’s all in who does it. If you are an enlightened West Side greenie who voted for The Won, you get a NYT dispensation (more power than a Papal dispensation these days) for preheating an oven @ 500 ˚F for an hour.

If you are a sloping forehead type in flyover country who voted for the Devil Incarnate, disguised as Dubya or McCain, microwaving an egg for 90 seconds will result in AGW disaster with  ocean levels rising above the level of the Empire State Building. Just from one sloping forehead type microwaving an egg for 90 seconds. :) ( I had to put that in because some commenters here have no sense of humor whatsoever)

If the NYT calls for us to atone, to whom are we atoning? There is no Sky Fairy, according to the bien pensants who read and believe the Times, and the idea that earth is a sentient being is a crock. So, where do I direct my desire to atone for those incredibly artful criss-cross grill marks I’m able to put on a piece of red meat? Al Gore? James Hansen? The East Anglia Truth Tellers?

10. JKB says

Watts up with That has the winning slogan in a post about this terrible bbq nightmare.  Actually, the slogan is lined up in response to a Think Progress trying to claim fireworks cancellations are not due to drought conditions but due to climate change

“Climate doesn’t kill people, weather does.”