Comments

I don’t know… Karzai doesn’t seem pro-terrorist to me.  The outrage over the burning of the Korans is real, not feigned.  It’s stirred up by the theocratic leadership, of course, and coordinated too.  But for all of their crazy fervor, I’d say for many of them it’s real, not feigned.

Karzai’s an impotent leader who rules over a small part of his country around Kabul, and that’s it.  His administration and the entire government is hopelessly corrupt, and has lost the support of nearly all of Afghanistan’s people.  And we’re supporting this utterly isolated regime against the will of its people.  The Taliban is resurgent across much of the country, and THEIR rules of engagement and forceful, violent, and utterly determined, while OUR rules of engagement have us looking like a weak horse riding around doing nothing but playing footsie and making nice-nice with corrupt leaders who sneer at us, while we smile politely and sip our tea or some other innocuous beverage. We are weak and we are telling them we’re leaving – and that’s why we’re losing, and definitely going to lose.  There will be another violent military date in our future with the Taliban, unless they will be content merely to oppress and terrorize their own people, and not attack us again.

I find the entire story suspect.  Taking the facts as dished, Korans were burned at Bagram. Were they burned in public? Who witnessed it? Were there witnesses other than Americans? If so, why? It’s not as though we haven’t been down this road before with flushing korans. The country has a 90% illiteracy rate – just how did the word get around? I’ve read that the books were being written on/in to send messages. Did Karzei denounce or omit it from his proclamations? Doesn’t sound like it from this statement below:

“Today,” Karzai said, “we had a detailed session attended by jihadi leaders, prominent scholars, speakers of both houses–the lower house and the senate–the esteemed chief justice, vice presidents and other dignitaries and our government. We discussed the matter of the burning of the Holy Koran. Representing the Afghan nation and their pure sentiments, in fact the Islamic world, once again we call on the US government to bring the perpetrators of the act to justice and put them on trial and punish them.”
    Keep reading…

It comes as no “AHA moment” that Obama wants out of Afghanistan. I’ve never EVER heard of a war with an end date in advance. I can only conclude that this is part of the end game to speed up withdrawal to bolster BHO’s election campaign.

One of the curiosities that happens when fighting evil is often evil doesn’t have to do much of anything directly in the war. All it has to do is to make all the people in one alliance, on the side of Light, fight it out themselves. Evil just sits around and waits until people have weakened themselves fighting each other, then they’ll swoop in and make Democrats and Republicans pretty much “irrelevant” in the grand cosmic scheme.

4. DL Sly says

“The outrage over the burning of the Korans is real, not feigned. It’s stirred up by the theocratic leadership, of course, and coordinated too. But for all of their crazy fervor, I’d say for many of them it’s real, not feigned.”

Somehow, Mike, I find that really hard to believe.

No, make that I frickin’ refuse to be fooled.  It’s a power play with only one objective: the slow boil of American *frogs* in the pot of Shariah water.

There really is a multi-step solution to dealing with the Jihadi menace….

1) Become energy independent (drill, baby, drill!)
    2) Designate Jihadi states for what they are (Pakistan, Egypt, Iran, etc.).
    3) Build economic, travel and informational barriers around them.
    4) Let them rot from the inside out (as the Ottoman Empire did before Ataturk)
    5) Let them figure out the solutions for themselves (may I recommend Judeo-Christianity?)
    6) Bomb the crap out of their economic infrastructure any time they are linked to a Jihadi attack against our interests.

William Tecumseh Sherman would agree.

6. beefrank says

This ‘burning Quran’ incident is as mythical as the 2005 Newsweek article which reported Quran’s were flushed down toilets at Gitmo.  BTW.  Is not a Quran with irrelevant secret messages written onto the pages considered a desecration?  Is not the only way to destroy a desecrated Quran the same way we properly dispose of an American flag by burning it?

In DL Sly’s #6:
    I had said: The outrage over the burning of the Korans is real, not feigned. It’s stirred up by the theocratic leadership, of course, and coordinated too. But for all of their crazy fervor, I’d say for many of them it’s real, not feigned.”

DL Sly said: Somehow, Mike, I find that really hard to believe.
    And linked to a story of thousands of Korans dumped by Afghans into a raw sewage canal.

DL, I’m willing to be convinced otherwise, but Pamela Geller’s story doesn’t change my mind.

There are bad actors who *are* purely exploiting this incident for political and military gain, and they are not outraged at all.

But I still think there are many, many of them who actually are outraged.  All I’m saying is, it’s not feigned.    I will call them hypocrites, because THEY can dump their own Korans into sewage, and treat their holy book like shit, but foreigners burn, what, four Korans, because their OWN jihadists have despoiled them by writing secret messages in them, and they’re thrown into an insane, mindless fury?  I will call them foolish for blindly following their theocratic, oppressive leadership.

Remember the outrage in Iraq when our soldiers went into a mosque because they were being fired on from within the mosque?  No outrage that a holy site was being used to wage war when their own people were firing from within the mosque!

They are xenophobes.  They are arrogant monsters who seek to oppress us all and subjugate us while they rule in the name of Allah.  They are ultra-sensitive to insult by others and impervious to contemplating their own insulting biases.

Yet… still… their crazy outrage is something I think is mostly real.  I feel no need at all to apologize, I don’t respect them for even an ounce of their outrage, and I actually couldn’t care less about their outrage.  ”The rage of the street Muslim” is worthless to me.

All I was saying is, I think their outrage IS real.  Perhaps I should have added, and worthy only of laughing at with complete derision.

8. DL Sly says

Mike, if you followed the link to Ms. Geller’s post you saw that the reason why the Korans were in the sewage canal was because they are using the pages for toilet paper.  The story was actually about a Pakistani man who would clean out the canal a couple of times a year who was trying to get the practice stopped.  And I will certainly agree that there are indeed some who are truly outraged at the *version* of the Koran burning they have been told.  In fact, I found that as I read along with your answer all the while shaking my head in agreement, I was also wondering where our thoughts got crossed.

Then you said, “Perhaps I should have added, and worthy only of laughing at with complete derision.”
    And it all came together.
    Thx!