No! No! No! Neptunus Lex is gone *UPDATED*

The blogger known as Neptunus Lex was one of the joys of the blogosphere.  Informed, witty, often incredibly funny, fiercely intelligent — everything that makes one fall into the intellectual embrace of a person one knows only through his words.

And now he’s gone.

Here’s more.

I am deeply, deeply saddened.  My thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

UPDATE:  Lex had a way with words and wrote so many wonderful posts.  My favorite, though, will always remain the first post of his that I ever read.  I’ve read it to cheer myself up, and I’ve read it aloud to family members to cheer them up.  Reading it now, however, it just made my eyes leak.  Thankfully, wonderful writing lasts forever, and I know that I’ll read this post again with great pleasure some time in the future.

Comments

1. SJBill says

Lex has been a good friend for several years. He wrote singularly wonderful prose and was a great stick. Gonna miss the Bubba for sure.

My heart goes out to his wife and children.

2. Gringo says

FWIW, “Old Friend”  Zachriel is blessing the pages of Maggie’s Farm with his/her comments.

This thread doesn’t show it so much, but in more of the Z-Team’s comments at Maggie’s Farm, it has reduced the number of links, and increased the number of thought-based comments, in contrast to “Nine Doctors out of Ten Prefer Anacin” type comments, compared to what the Z-Team did here. The Z-Team has also reduced the number of comments. That lessens the amount of annoyance at a Z-Team comment.

Commenters at Maggie’s Farm have pretty much picked up on what the Z-Team is about, as there is often a “troll” comment in response to a Z-Team posting. I am not going to waste my time responding to a Z-Team comment.

“Old Friend” is a  term the Boston Globe uses for former players on one of the Boston teams, especially for current players who are with another team.

The Z Pest does learn—I think the kids were stung bad here, both by Book’s ejection and the intellectual pounding they received from the room’s regulars. So I’m not surprised that they’ve changed their tactics.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if the kids drop in and lurk here from time to time. When you’ve been schooled as thoroughly as the poor Basement Whizzes were here, it doesn’t matter that they hated their teachers’ guts. Like moths to a flame, you know they come back just to dream about what could have been if only they’d been an eensy, teensy bit smarter.

bizcor, you’re right.

I didn’t follow or even know about Lex, but it’s obvious he had some loyal readers. I apologize for talking about a topic that does him no honor.

5. bizcor says

I followed Lex because he, like me, was an airplane pilot. I did not fly jet airplanes I piloted small planes. He was a Navy Officer and I was an enlisted man. Lex piloted the amazing jet planes that fly at Mach 1 or maybe even Mach two. My pilot training is in small aircraft, single props. I connected with Lex because we shared the love of flying and he was a pretty much a conservative. Good to know that all of the military hasn’t been co-opted. As I said before he went “in” doing what he loved and that was flying. Pilots all know that there is the possibilty that the apparatus will fail. we check and recheck but ….RIP Lex it was good to know you.

6. Gringo says

bizcor
    how did this become a regurgitation of Z and not a remeberance of Lex? Just askin?

I thought that Book’s readers would be interested in the appearance of the Z-Team at another wingnut blog. I chose this thread to post the news because this thread  was the most recent one at the time- at the top of the page. I meant no disrespect to Lex.

7. bizcor says

Gringo, no harm no foul. Perhaps I was a little sensitive because the conversation turned from Lex to “Z”. I liked lex a lot. We shared the love of flying airplanes and I e-mailied him more than once regarding that. Never met him in person but through the magic of the internet we were able to become friends.

Yes perhaps some would like to know what “Z” was up to but I personally was put off by “Z”. When “Z” got involved and people began to engage “it” I stopped reading. Perhaps those who enjoyed engaging “Z” will be happy to know where to futher engage “it”.

bizcor