Joe Biden breaks into Jennifer Granholm’s medicine cabinet and tries to overdose *UPDATES*

Do you remember Jennifer Granholm at the DNC, when she was yelling and gesticulating wildly?  She was a 33 rpm record playing at 78.

Watching the Vice Presidential debate tonight, it was obvious that Joe Biden had broken into her medicine cabinet and taken twice the dosage.  Either that, or he was auditioning for the part of the crazy, rude uncle in the high school play.  Or of course, he is a crazy, rude guy who didn’t have to medicate or pretend to put on the performance we saw at the debate.

Joe’s demeanor was nothing short of appalling.  When one thinks of what a few gusty sighs did to Al Gore’s presidential aspirations, Biden’s debate performance should earn him deportation.  He was by turns loud, obnoxious, condescending, and disrespectful.  He smirked, giggled, sighed, and huffed his disbelief at everything Paul Ryan said.  He also talked over at least half of Ryan’s answers.  Thanks to Joe’s behavior, this was not a serious debate about substantive issues for the benefit of concerned citizens.  This was a crude charade by a demagogue throwing red meat to his followers.

The good thing was that Ryan was able to make his points quickly and efficiently.  The bad thing was that he occasionally looked like a deer in the headlights.  I understand that this look reflected his amazement at Joe’s behavior, his shock at Joe’s bald-faced lies, and his frustration that both Joe and debate moderator Martha Raddatz kept cutting him off and giving the floor to the crazy uncle.  Still, I wish he hadn’t been such a polite Midwesterner.

Thinking about it, though, Ryan may have done just the right thing.  While the base probably found Joe’s performance exciting and emotionally honest, I suspect that millions of Americans did not appreciate that Joe made a mockery of a ritual performance that is meant to enhance the honor of the presidential office and to give voters an opportunity to compare the two parties.  If people were actually comparing the two debaters, Ryan was an attractive, polite, stable, normal, well-informed young man.  Joe was the bloviating, obnoxious drunk at the bar who had grabbed Ryan by his lapel and wouldn’t let go.  You could practically see Ryan’s hair melt from the noxious odors wafting out from behind Joe’s peculiarly whitened dentures.

I do not know that I have ever before seen such a loathsome spectacle at the national level.  In a sane world, the moderator would have reined him in.  In a decent world, Joe would call a press conference tomorrow to apologize for his behavior.  In the real world, the media will laud his energy, aggression, and mastery of the “facts.”

If this is what our political process has come too, we are in trouble.  The Obama administration is damaging the very fabric of our democracy, and the drunk, crazy uncle they hauled out for the debate tonight is one of the weapons in their arsenal.

RUNNING UPDATES:

Bruce Kesler has word on the first tracking results, and they say that Biden’s demeanor was a turn-off for Independents.  Thank goodness!  It means Americans still have some standards.

Hot Air calls Biden an “angry old man” and adds that the CNN insta-poll has Ryan in the lead by 4 points.

Ben Shapiro says Biden lost it — and has the pictures to prove it.

Chris Wallace calls Biden “openly contemptuous and disrespectful.”

PowerLine has a great photo essay, one that seems overwhelmed by Joe Biden’s teeth.  He was like Mr. Ed, without the comic charm or intelligence.

Bryan Preston, looking at the substance, thinks it wasn’t a game changer.  I hope he’s underestimating the damage Biden’s behavior caused.

Ace says that it was enough that Ryan won in the polls:  the Obama team has now lost two debates in a row.

Keith Koffler thinks the incessant laughter was a bad strategy and may have offended women who too often find themselves on the receiving end of the same tactics Biden turned on Ryan.

Wolf Howling calls it “a debacle.”  That sounds about right.  Biden was manic, and Ryan was too politely deferential — although see my point that this might have been his only realistic strategy in the face of insanity.  I always tell my kids “never argue with the crazy person.”

Thomas Lifson said Biden disgraced himself and appeared “unstable.”  I agree.

The Blaze has a collection of Biden’s facial expressions.Those teeth are going to pursue me in my nightmares.

That was fast.  The RNC already has a video:

From what I read, libs on Twitter were thrilled with Biden’s performance. That shouldn’t surprise me. They were also thrilled by the Occupiers when they defecated on public streets.

The Daily Mail, the most read internet newspaper in the world, calls it for Ryan.

Fred Barnes says Biden’s debate performance will go down in history — only not in a good way.

Neo-Neocon and I had a few of the same ideas about Biden’s affect.

Comments

1. 11B40 says

Greetings:

If you will be so kind as to permit me a repost of a comment of mine from 20 Oct 08:

Senator Joseph Biden (nom de Mafia, “Joey Plugs”) reminds me of a loudmouth guy that used to come into my father’s favorite bar, “Archer’s”. Once, when I was about seven, my father took me there on a Saturday afternoon to watch the then New York Giants baseball game on TV. I was sitting at the bar with my father, having my Coke with two cherries, when the loudmouth guy thought he saw an opportunity to insert himself into our afternoon. Over he comes, in his gladhanding way, and says too loudly, “Well, Ted, are you going to introduce me to your boy-o?”

Now, my father didn’t suffer, and had no intention of ever suffering, fools gladly. Taking a long pull on his Lucky Strike cigarette, and exhaling slowly, he answered, in that New York way, with a question, “What are you doing at this end of the bar?”

2. SJBill says

I was just wondering if data on Biden’s blood-alcohol level will be made public. Tonight, he was like a drunk in the bar that just wouldn’t shut up.

All I can say is that the moderator did not live up to her pre-debate billing.  Hugh Hewitt (I think – it may have been Hannity) interviewed her last week, and then told us that she was a liberal, but that she would be fair.  Not.

I was shouting at the radio half the time — she seemed interested in making sure that “Plugs” got his points in and uninterested in any semblance of fairness.  It was disgusting.

Does anyone have the time each candidate got?

I think putting Biden out as an over-bearing obnoxious, smiling loon was part of the plan. Obama was not engaged, demure and passive during the first debate with Romney. I believe this debate was a “test” to see how it plays via tweets/social media/ etc. so that Obama can measure his words during the next debate accordingly. AND yes, they are willing to throw Joe under the bus because VP debates have no bearing on the top of the ticket.

Does anyone have the time each candidate got?

Earl, last I heard about 42 min. for Biden and 41 for Ryan give/take the seconds.  I have no idea how they sort this out since Biden interrupted Ryan 86 times.

5. jj says

How much do we pay Alex Rodriguez to be an annual post-season rally-killer?  Jee-zus! – one out, two on in the 8th inning, and he strikes out?  Every single damn year, in the playoffs, put him under a little pressure, he folds up like an eggshell.  Very, very sick of him – as are all Yankee fans.

So I watched a little bit of debate tonight, in order not put my foot through the screen at the antics and general ineptitude of the goddam Yankees.  Watched the antics of Biden, and general ineptitude of Ryan in not calling him out on every lie, and handing him his (empty) head when offered such clear opportunities to do so.  It should have been a smear.  Anything less against a clown like Biden has to be seen as disappointing.

And the Raddatz needs to be taken to someplace high up from which she can be dropped.  What a democrat homer this one was!  Not even a pretense of even-handedness.

And then, of course, in the 13th inning the Orioles won!  Some night.

If early polling is any indication, Biden revved-up his base, the voters they already had, and totally turned off the independents that they needed to win.

My prediction has been for some time that the Obama/Biden team would increasingly feel cornered, bet panicky and then start flaming out really weird behavior. Narcissists don’t take rejection well.

7. Wolf Howling says

1.  Thanks for the link, Ms. BWR

2.  To get a real feel for how bad it was – Ryan spoke last night for slightly less than 40 minutes and about 45 sec.; Biden interrupted him 82 times.  It was disgraceful.

3.  Biden’s performance was a metaphor for the far left.  This wasn’t an attempt to debate the facts, it was an attempt to shout down their opponent.

4.  Ryan comported himself well, he was only rattled maybe twice, and he did make his points.  That said, he should have channeled Reagan in this debate (“I paid for this microphone”} about the second time Biden interrupted.

Upon reflection, I accept that I may have been hasty in my judgment of Joe Biden. I have to say that his debate performance was a resounding success and that he met all of his objectives. It is clear that, after last night, Joe Biden got a solid lock on the beer-soaked union thug, gang-banger, angry feminist and Valley Girl votes.

I was stuck in heavy freeway traffic coming home from a meeting in San Francisco, so listened to the “debate” on the car radio.

Without the distractions of watching both men’s faces—heck, I didn’t even know they were sitting side by side until I got home in time to see the closing moments on TV—I could only gauge how it was going by how it sounded.

I expected Biden to be dismissive and thuggish, but what I noticed right away was just how much in the tank for Biden the moderator was. It became more and more frustrating to listen to her interrogate and whine at Ryan, or cut to another topic whenever his rhetorical blade approached Biden’s throat a little too closely.

I gave up listening about 45 minutes in. Just couldn’t take Biden’s huffing and the moderator’s adenoidal Laraine Newman on coke routine.

Biden’s performance got me to thinking. I have never met a leftist man who was manly. I don’t mean lacking in physical courage—God knows the left has an endless number of thugs of union and thugs of color it can call out to commit mayhem. I mean in the sense of knowing how to fight honorably or subtly. Gore’s groans and Biden’s smirks and asides betray a fundamental lack of adult sensibility. For the grownups who watched or listened to this thing, it was obvious that Ryan was the adult and Biden was a Belushi-like adolescent buffoon stuck in this image of himself as a clever warrior.

Danny 14:  Yeah, he’s locked up most of that demographic, all right….although the Valley Girls are a bit shaky after his display of meanness, last night.  Heh.

Charles Martel:  my experience was similar….after the first 30 minutes of so, we went out to a movie.

Go see Clint Eastwood’s new one where he plays the “washed-up” baseball scout.  I didn’t realize that Justin Timberlake could actually act, but he does a nice job, here.  We enjoyed the movie enormously, although I’m confident my son could list any number of places where it falls short of “art”.  We go to the movies for good stories, not great art!

:-)

1. [...] If people were actuallycomparing the two debaters, Ryan was an attractive, polite, stable, normal, well-informed young man. Joe was the bloviating, obnoxious drunk at the bar who had grabbed Ryan by his lapel and wouldn’t let go. You could practically see Ryan’s hair melt from the noxious odors wafting out from behind Joe’s peculiarly whitened dentures.– Bookworm Room [...]