Comments

Propaganda posters have come full circle ever since the WWII ones, I’ve noticed.

Although to only a minor trained agent, it only requires a few days of training to resist mere image influences.

We’ve had our guys fighting and dying there for more than 10 years….for THIS!

John Derbyshire had his problems, but his solution to Afghanistan was summed up by “Rubble Don’t Make No Trouble”…..and given how things have turned out, it appears to me that we’d have done much better to get in, kill as many bad guys as possible, and get out with the warning that any further problems from them would lead to another round of drones, bombers, etc.

3. shirleyelizabeth says

Those ladies are lovely. How terribly sad to have to hide. I did not realize there was a time that women did not have to house their bodies in tents “over there.” And I’m betting most my age don’t wonder about it. Those three ladies in the top photo are older now, but, if still alive, I wonder if they think back to their days of freedom. Do they ever want to fight it? For themselves? Their daughters? Granddaughters? Do they consider themselves happier now, or not?

How can we tell that we live in America….not just a different country, but a different world!?

Simple…we can ask “Do they ever want to fight it?”

I’m sure they do….except that in their world, it would mean getting their head chopped off.  And what would THAT do for anyone, including their offspring on down the line?

My guess is that there are a considerable percentage of women who are content with what appear to us to be oppressive laws about behavior, dress, etc.  However, it’s not particularly close to 100%….I think that LOTS of them would appear as those 1972 girls do, if there were an option.

But, it’s not worth dying for – especially since their death would be useless, in terms of changing conditions in their country.

Very sad.

5. Libby says

So sad. When I see images like this I wonder why our feminists here in the US are so obsessed with Slut Walks and their lady parts (e.g., Al-Jazeera America’s Naomi Wolf’s Vagina biography) when the is legitimate oppression in the world worth decrying. For a really depressing interpretationof female life in Afghanistan, see the movie “Osama.”

6. Gringo says

During my sophomore year in the 1960s, my high school hosted an Afghan foreign exchange student. I got to know him a little when we were both on the track team. I have long wondered what happened to him.