Any humor about Obama is ipso facto racial humor

The clown kerfuffle — a rodeo clown dons a presidential mask available at any Halloween costume store and is instantly transformed into a fiery member if the KKK — has helped clarify something about the Left’s response to any non-Democrat generated references to Obama.  I found this clarification in yesterday’s Best of the Web, in which Taranto takes apart a CNN post in which Judy Quest, a “professional” clown, discusses the rodeo clown’s breach of “clown ethics.”  (Keep in mind, incidentally, that a rodeo clown isn’t a real clown, because his primary job isn’t to entertain but is, instead, to keep the bull from trampling a downed cowboy.  Looked at that way, he ‘s more of a gladiator, but whatever….)

The key language in Quest’s article revolves about the first entry in the clown code of ethics:

1. I will keep my acts, performance and behavior in good taste while I am in costume and makeup. I will remember at all times that I have been accepted as a member of the clown club only to provide others, principally children, with clean clown comedy entertainment. I will remember that a good clown entertains others by making fun of himself or herself and not at the expense or embarrassment of others.  (Emphasis mine.)

And here is Quest’s interpretation of that language (emphasis mine):

We have a code of ethics that we adhere to so that our life of making the world smile goes on without hurting people. Among the ethics is a ban on “blue humor.”

This mean [sic] no sexual or racial humor. The joke always needs to be on us and never on an audience member. If someone is offended or made the “victim” of a joke, it is totally against what the clown community would consider funny. . . .

Think back to what Tuffy the Rodeo Clown did. Do you recall any racial component to his humor? Traditionally, of course, a black racial component would have involved:

1.  Shuffling

2.  Watermelons

3.  Lots of “yassir, yassir, I’se doing it, sir.”

4.  References to laziness.

5.  References to obsessive sexuality.

6.  Hugh, grinning white mouths.

7.  References to criminality.

8.  Clear intimations of stupidity.

9.  Eyeball rolling.

10.  Slyness.

11.  References to uncontrollable (and inappropriate) rhythm.

Tuffy did none of that.  Instead, he donned a mask of a white-black man whose skin happens to be blacker, rather than whiter.  (I use the term “white-black” to describe Obama because, if George Zimmerman, who is half Hispanic and half Caucasian, is “white-Hispanic,” than Obama, who is half Black and half Caucasian, is “white-black.”  Precision is important, right?)

In Quest’s world review, any mention of or reference to Obama, even without any mention of his race or any use of traditional negative stereotypes about blacks,  is ipso facto racial and, therefore, racist.  In other words, Obama, just by being, is racist.

To liberals, there is no “Obama the man,” or “Obama the president,” or “Obama the Democrat politician.”  There is only “Obama the black,” a man devoid of personality, accomplishments, foibles, passion, or anything that makes him a person, not a stereotype  — and if that’s not racist, I honestly don’t know what is.

Incidentally, this is what “racist” humor actually looks like, and this was the “clean,” “wholesome” family variation:

(There are no YouTubes of the traditional racist patter that preceded the dance.)

Comments

A related matter: Years ago, more than I care to count, I had a two-year affair with a very pretty redhead. Toward the end, as the relationship was unraveling, I tried to reignite the romance by taking her to the restaurant where we had first openly acknowledged our love for each other.

It didn’t work. Way too much water under the bridge for both of us. That second time around was miserable, and it destroyed a good memory. I suppose the hidden blessing was that it also gave us both reason enough to finally bring our affair to an end and part amicably.

The race hustlers are trying very hard to take us back to the restaurant where America woke up to its racism. Its name doesn’t really matter: Selma, Meridian, Birmingham, Montgomery—the point is to endlessly recreate that scenario where evil whites oppress saintly, long-suffering blacks. In this case, if you throw in the angelic, Keane-eyed Oprah Winfrey, the Martyr of the Alps, you can get white liberal hearts a-breakin’ and tears a-flowin’.

For the rest of us, meh. I have no interest in seeing “The Butler” because it’s a trite rehash of memes that wore out their welcome among intelligent adults long ago. It’s the End of the Affair for me and has been for a long time.

2. Gringo says

Traditionally, of course, a black racial component would have involved:
    1.  Shuffling
    2.  Watermelons
    3.  Lots of “yassir, yassir, I’se doing it, sir.”
    4.  References to laziness.
    5.  References to obsessive sexuality.
    6.  Hugh, grinning white mouths.
    7.  References to criminality.
    8.  Clear intimations of stupidity.
    9.  Eyeball rolling.
    10.  Slyness.
    11.  References to uncontrollable (and inappropriate) rhythm.

The only references which would fit the POTUS would be laziness and rolling of the eyes. And slyness, as he appears to have difficulty with speaking the truth.

3. lee says

I used to go religiously to the Grand National at the Cow Palace. Loved it; it was great fun. The rodeo clowns are crazy, and awfully brave. I found watching them pull bulls just amazing. They do do a few crowd entertaining things: one consists of four of them sitting around a card table, pretending to play cards. A bull is released and the last one  sitting, “wins.” They will also help keep the crowd distracted at a different part of the ring if a bull rider is injured (and once the bull is penned.) Anyhow, my understanding was that the garb (including a barrel that protects them) was designed to attract the bull’s attention.  But mostly, they are pretty much the safety dudes for the bull riders. Now the Professional Bull Riders does not dress them as clowns, and do not call them clowns.  I’ve never been to a PBR event–just seen them on tv– so I am not sure who distracts the crowd if a rider is injured. (tv just goes to commercial.)
    I hate clowns. They’re idiots. And the crap about being in “character” the whole time they are in costume makes me want to rip their heads off. I am in AWE of rodeo clowns, and would be proud to know one.

Couldn’t agree with you more, lee, especially about the true Clown Credo.  (Proving that even overtly, consistently, boringly liberals shows can be funny if given the chance.)

I’ve always found clowns creepy.  Just call me Coulrophobic.

5. Call me Lennie says

Sheesh, those depiction of blacks in the Judy Garland video are hardly more demeaning than any given media depiction of a white male husband and father in the last twenty years
    Why does everybody get worked up about it?

Has anyone yet to wonder that were it for not the Democrat actions leading up to the First Civil War and immediately afterwards, there would have been no racism in this country as it stands?

7. DL Sly says

Yes, my friend.  I have.  Not to mention Margaret Sanger’s deliberate plan to eradicate the negro species of human through voluntary abortion, followed by their diligent challenges to the various civil rights acts brought before Congress during the 50′s and 60′ and culminating in the final insult of Affirmative Action which codified their belief that the black man or woman is so inferior and stupid that we must force people to even consider (and, as typically happens with grievance mongers, then hiring a certain amount) a black person because, otherwise, they’d never get the job on their own.
    It’s so insulting and degrading that I just can’t understand how so many people can’t help but see it.

DL Sly, the last time I was in Washington, DC, I sensed a palpable tension in the air between the white elite who run the town (think Panem) and the black underlings who staff the police and various other municipal departments. It was a huge game, with the guilt-ridden whites giving authority to a many unqualified blacks to carry guns and pretend to enforce the law.

The black cops I saw, who spent most of their time gossiping and hanging out while leaning against their cruisers, knew deep down that they weren’t skilled or edumacated enough to hold those jobs, and they hated Whitey for condescending to pretend that they did.

But here’s the thing: Even though you resent racist Whitey and his house Negroes for the farce, you are also in thrall to his money. He pretends you’re qualified, and you pretend you’re qualified. The whole town is a Potemkin village of pretension.

1. Watcher’s Council nominations…

The Noisy Room – Torture and Murder in Tennessee – Why No Movement for These Innocents? The Right Planet – Obama Awards Presidential Medal of Freedom to Bayard Rustin, a Socialist Joshuapundit-What The Media Won’t Tell You About What’s Real…