Abstinence — environmentally-friendly birth control

I was joking around with the kids about the fact that birth control is bad for the environment.  When I stopped kidding, I started writing.  Click on the image to enlarge it:

Abstinence -- birth control that helps protect the environment

Comments

I predict that this is one environmental campaign that is never going to get off the ground!

Which is sad, because the environmental reasons for abstinence pale beside the other ones.

Clever, but note that these arguments are entirely independent of the married or unmarried state of the individuals involved.  So unless you’re making an argument that birth control is bad under all circumstances, I don’t think this works.

Gad, now it occurs to me why I get choked up more easily and puddle up faster than when I was in my 50s: The slow accumulation of waterborne estrogen.

That 1% Estrogen argument is really powerful, especially when combined with increased rates of breast cancer in women.  “The Pill” did not become widely available in Japan until fairly recently (10-15 years ago, I think–Ymar, do you know?).  Japanese women in Japan had a lower incidence of breast cancer than Japanese women in the U.S.  The disparity was blamed on diet–red meat, in particular, is more available and is eaten more often.  What if the difference was due the estrogen in the water?  If estradiols leached from plastics are bad and growth hormones given to beef, full-blown estrogen should be more worrisome, no?

My concern isn’t entirely academic–I’m a five-year survivor of breast cancer.  No genetic history, but I did use birth control in my late teens & twenties.

• says

I think anything that human hunters and gatherers were not naturally resistant to, can cause disruptions in human health balance. It may be that 1% is true or false, but it may be the feather that broke the camel’s back, so to speak, when added on top of American life’s other stresses and environmental toxins. There may also be DNA susceptibilities, but DNA susceptibilities are the easiest things to see. The combinations of unknown variables creating chaotic mixtures that cannot be predicted, requires genius or savant level thinking to pierce.

Ancient Chinese medical practices like chi gong or martial/health based Tai Chi (Taiji) focused on internal cultivation of the body’s anti stress, anti oxidant, hormonal (estrogen and testosterine) production/balance, as well as increasing the body’s natural healing and recuperation powers. They didn’t do experiments on every little variable to see what did what. They didn’t even know what organs did what in those days. But through slow methodical “try and see” methods, they figured out that this herb did this, and that movement did that. Western science was supposed to be more exact, systematic, and less “voodoo” based. But if you look at the various Climate Models, it is like the atomic model always being over written. The only engineering application or tech coming out from climate models is Green funded Democrat ponzi schemes. At least the atomic model produced fission and hydrogen bombs.

“The Pill” did not become widely available in Japan until fairly recently (10-15 years ago, I think–Ymar, do you know?)”

No, I can’t determine for certain. In fact, I’ve never heard the Japanese talk about this subject of using the pill for birth control. Their safe sexual education consists of “inside or outside”, so to speak or what most Americans might call the pull out technique to avoid impregnation. That’s been true for at least the last 30-40 years. While modern medicine should be available, they are a 1st world nation, it doesn’t seem like a topic for their popular dramas, although I don’t watch the popular dramas that much.

Much of Western science is not as certain and infallible as the common sense masses seem to think. The only “certainty” or usefulness I get for judgments on society concerns 1. principles and 2. massive scale simulations (real experiments). For 1, that would be like Newton’s Third Law. For 2, that isn’t getting some dumb college volunteers to Obey Authority in a fed grant funded “experiment”, but to get a full scale slice of human society, 10-30k individuals, and have them run and live life, then introduce alien experimentation variables or vectors and see what happens when the system stabilizes. In effect, town and city level “experimentation” where there are little to no control variables. But in return, many more dynamic and unknown variables can be tested for. Things like weather, economy, and drugs are difficult to test just using a few case studies. There’s always someone or somebody’s family out there that is “different” in ways the scientists have never seen.

It’s not useful comparing American women to women in Benghazi because of DNA splits, economic issues, government differences, and 1st world vs 3rd world differences. But Japan vs America is a much closer experimental model. Japan, being an island culture and a very monolithic one that Does Not accept immigrant workers as equal or even 2nd class citizens, is also a very strong Control Variable experiment.

The Japanese scientific community, from what little I’ve seen of their thesis and work, do not work under “PC” although they do have strong environmental tendencies (or maybe that’s politics).

Glancing at the dates on some news vids, in 1999 birth control pills were banned. A lot of the English news of Japan are meaningless. They are gated interpretations scripted to somebody’s ulterior motive. But the news in Japanese often don’t make sense either, unless you know what’s going on in their communities and in their political circles. So it’s easier, I find it, to find out how people live. Since, after all, watching Hollywood movies is not a good way to learn about how Americans value honor in the military or sacrifice.