Obama again celebrates putting women in hijabs and niqabs *UPDATED*

I’m noticing an interesting pattern in Obama’s Muslim speeches.  He thinks it’s a very good thing for women to cover up.  In his Cairo speech, he made that point, not once, not twice, but three times.  As I caught in the post I wrote at the time, he said:

Moreover, freedom in America is indivisible from the freedom to practice one’s religion. That is why there is a mosque in every state in our union, and over 1,200 mosques within our borders. That’s why the United States government has gone to court to protect the right of women and girls to wear the hijab and to punish those who would deny it. (Applause.)

[snip]

Likewise, it is important for Western countries to avoid impeding Muslim citizens from practicing religion as they see fit — for instance, by dictating what clothes a Muslim woman should wear. We can’t disguise hostility towards any religion behind the pretence of liberalism.

[snip]

The sixth issue — the sixth issue that I want to address is women’s rights. (Applause.) I know –- I know — and you can tell from this audience, that there is a healthy debate about this issue. I reject the view of some in the West that a woman who chooses to cover her hair is somehow less equal, but I do believe that a woman who is denied an education is denied equality.

That obsession with women’s attire might have been aberrant but for the fact that, at tonight’s White House Ramadan celebration, Obama brought it up again (emphasis mine):

The president paid special tribute to Kareem Khan, who “made the ultimate sacrifice” when he died serving in Iraq, Nashala Hearn, who won the right to wear a hijab in school, Bilqis Abdul-Qaadir, who holds the record for the most points scored by a high school basketball player in Massachusetts, and Muhammad Ali, who – though he couldn’t attend – is “a man of quiet dignity and grace and continues to fight for what he believes.”

Why, oh why, is Obama so impressed with Muslim women wrapping their heads?  His he just part of the same trendy Left wing cadre that thinks head coverings are a cool fashion statement by which enlightened Islamic feminists thumb their nose at men?  Naomi Wolf, American “feminist” and nutcase, believes this to be so:

The West interprets veiling as repression of women and suppression of their sexuality. But when I travelled in Muslim countries and was invited to join a discussion in women-only settings within Muslim homes, I learned that Muslim attitudes toward women’s appearance and sexuality are not rooted in repression, but in a strong sense of public versus private, of what is due to God and what is due to one’s husband. It is not that Islam suppresses sexuality, but that it embodies a strongly developed sense of its appropriate channelling – toward marriage, the bonds that sustain family life, and the attachment that secures a home.

Outside the walls of the typical Muslim households that I visited in Morocco, Jordan, and Egypt, all was demureness and propriety. But inside, women were as interested in allure, seduction and pleasure as women anywhere in the world.

At home, in the context of marital intimacy, Victoria’s Secret, elegant fashion and skin care lotions abounded. The bridal videos that I was shown, with the sensuous dancing that the bride learns as part of what makes her a wonderful wife, and which she proudly displays for her bridegroom, suggested that sensuality was not alien to Muslim women. Rather, pleasure and sexuality, both male and female, should not be displayed promiscuously – and possibly destructively – for all to see.

Wolf would benefit from reading Phyllis Chesler’s response to her inane article, in which Chesler emphasizes the reality for the vast majority of those Muslim woman wrapped up in movable tents:

Most Muslim girls and women are not given a choice about wearing the chador, burqa, abaya, niqab, jilbab, or hijab (headscarf), and those who resist are beaten, threatened with death, arrested, caned or lashed, jailed, or honor murdered by their own families. Is Wolfe thoroughly unfamiliar with the news coming out of Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan on these very subjects? Has she forgotten the tragic, fiery deaths of those schoolgirls in Saudi Arabia who, in trying to flee their burning schoolhouse, were improperly veiled and who were beaten back by the all-powerful Saudi Morality Police?

Most Muslim girls and women are impoverished and wear rags, not expensive Western clothing beneath their coverings. Only the pampered, super-controlled, often isolated, and uber-materialistic daughters of wealth, mainly in the Gulf states, but also among the ruling classes in the Islamic world, match Wolf’s portrait of well kept courtesan-wives.

Being veiled and obedient does not save a Muslim girl or woman from being incested, battered, stalked, gang-raped, or maritally raped nor does it stop her husband from taking multiple wives and girlfriends or from frequenting brothels. A fully “covered” girl-child, anywhere between the ages of 10-15, may still be forced into an arranged marriage, perhaps with her first cousin, perhaps with a man old enough to be her grandfather, and she is not allowed to leave him, not even if he beats her black and blue every single day.

So does Obama side with Wolf or does he understand the reality that Chesler articulates?

Or are we looking in the wrong place altogether when it comes to Obama’s hijab obsession.  Maybe he’s just dreaming that, one day, he can replace this angry face:

Michelle

With this, all signs of anger neatly hidden away:

Burqa

UPDATE: To those who I’m mocking Michelle for being ugly, I’m not.   I don’t think she’s the raving beauty the MSM would have us believe, but there’s nothing wrong with how she looks. It’s the anger that’s in her face whenever she’s not actively smiling. That is one very, very angry woman.  That can’t be a nice thing in a marriage.  A burqa wouldn’t make the anger go away, but you wouldn’t have to see it all the time.  I’ve updated the captions for the photos a bit to show that my emphasis is on personality, not looks.

Comments

I really do think Obama is a feminized, passive man when it comes to women. He’s thoroughly confused by them. His mother was a promiscuous leftard who abandoned him; his granny was a Marxist, which requires a real contempt for logic and humanity; his wife is a bitter affirmative-action nag; and his best friend’s spouse, Bernardine Dohrn, is a sociopath.

What man having such sterling examples of femininity placed before him, would not shudder, recoil and retreat to the girl-haters club known as Islam?

So this is the vision of feminism and family values that Naomi Wolf has all along espoused? Wow! She’s a closet conservative, religious, family-values kinda gal? Who knew?

Charles, re. Dohrn…are you sure that you didn’t mean “psychopath”?

3. kali says

No, it’s not whom he’s married to that keeps him thinking fondly of veils, it’s being a father of two girls. Used to be men daydreamed of convents with 10-foot walls when their daughters started careening toward adolescence, but I suppose a burka will do in a pinch.

Good point, Kali. I wasn’t trying to mock her for being ugly. I don’t think she’s the raving beauty the MSM would have us believe, but there’s nothing wrong with how she looks. It’s the anger that’s in her face whenever she’s not actively smiling. That is one very, very angry woman.

As I’ve mentioned before, I knew Naomi back when we were teenagers. She is now as she was then: pretty, bright, academically arrogant, fundamentally unkind (she was a snotty, bullying girl, popular with the artsy crowd), and given to striking poses contrary to norms simply to garner the attention she so desperately craves. The child is the father of the man. Or, since I’m talking about Naomi, I guess I should say that the child clearly is the mother of the woman.

6. kali says

Sorry for being the drag on this thread, but it bothered me.

What I take away from M.O.s pictures is a woman who simply doesn’t–or won’t–understand the nature of public life and the fact that she is always on display, always judged, and that yes, it *is* her job to look and act in a non-threatening, comfortable manner, no matter what her feelings at a particular moment.

And Danny, no, I didn’t think primal screams made my very cute children any more attractive or healthy, and I don’t think it works for adults.

I think you’re being very generous to Michelle, Kali. It may well be that she hasn’t yet figured out that she’s always being watched. Nevertheless, those “watched” moments are telling.

Some people, when they think no one is looking, get slack-jawed and empty eyed, some smirk, some get happy smiles — and Michelle gets that furiously angry, minatory look. This angry look is entirely consistent with her speeches early in the campaign, before she was toned down (as well as with her senior thesis). Despite the myriad benefits America has rained down on her (Ivy League education, high end jobs), her writing and speeches showed she is angry at America.

Michelle also fails to recognize that, to the extent she and Obama are attacked politically, that goes with the territory. If she hears anything she doesn’t like, whether its praise for the country she seems to hate or challenges to her or her husband, it shows on her face. Until she learns a poker face, I think she’s fair game for comments about the repeated anger she shows.

8. Oldflyer says

Obama needs to read “A Thousand Splendid Suns”.

It is as brutal as anything I have read. I know it is fiction. But, I do believe that the author has the necessary information, and the motivation, to paint an accurate picture. In fact we seen enough news stories of honor killings, stonings, and public floggings to be convinced of its accuracy.

This is what I have noticed:

Obama dumped his pastor last year (collateral damage).

Obama, the Christian, managed to avoid observing his faith, whatever that means in his case, in any church during Christmas and Easter (fear of collateral damage).

Obama has had no problem finding the right place to pray – Church of the You Tube.
    In the Church of the You Tube, he has found the time to send messages of good will to the Farsi community in Iran (no, I don’t remember the name of the holiday, as if it matters), a big hi and happy ramadan message to all his ‘buds’ and then throw a big feast and party for them (no fear of collateral damage).

Charles Martel:

“Book, your Michelle/burkha juxtapositioning cost me half a beer. Maybe even a keyboard.”

I’ll second that!

Book – I so agree with you on how angry Michelle is/looks. I really do feel if she were a Republican the MSM would be commenting on her attitude all the time.

Instead, what we have is an MSM who probably see what you see; but feel compelled to NOT say so. In a way, they remind me of those who see a really ugly baby, but, out of kindness to the new parents go on and on about what a cute baby it is!

Hmm…wonder if they sent the wrong film. They certainly sent the wrong message
    UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Ishtar

Iftar

Government Cancels American Embassy Iftar

Dear Iftar Guests- the Embassy regrets any inconvenience caused by the last-minute cancellation of the Iftar dinner and showing of the movie Islam in America scheduled for the evening of August 27th. Unfortunately, just hours before the dinner, the Embassy received word from the Eritrean Ministry of Foreign Affairs that the event would not be permitted to take place. Embassy efforts to discuss with officials the cause of this cancellation went unanswered.

It has been a tradition for American Embassies around the world to invite Muslims and those of other faiths from the local community to enjoy an Iftar in the spirit of fellowship and friendship. The Secretary of State and the President will also host Iftars this year, as have previous American leaders.

The Embassy extends its best wishes to the Muslim community of Eritrea and beyond during this special season of Ramadan. We remain steadfast in our efforts to foster a spirit of dialogue, understanding, and mutual respect with all, and to support the of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, and other rights enshrined in the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

12. expat says

What Mr. Brainie doesn’t understand is that in the West, the headscarf is often a sign of submission–not of the woman to Allah, but of the entire family to thuggish radicals who are trying to take over mosques and indoctrinate the children of those Muslims who have become too integrated in the West. I just read a piece about this happening now in Switzerland, only minarets have replaced headscarves as the visible sign of submission. Spiegel reported years ago on the problems of girls who were harassed and assaulted on their way home from school because they weren’t wearing scarves.

13. suek says

>>Spiegel reported years ago on the problems of girls who were harassed and assaulted on their way home from school because they weren’t wearing scarves.>>

Check out increase of rapes in Europe, particularly in Sweden. A female without muslim-acceptable clothing – including the hijab – are considered by muslim men as prostitutes and rape by them is considered permissable. Of course, they know it isn’t true – and in that case it’s just a case of intimidation to force compliance with sharia..

14. suek says

Sadie…very nice reply. Very straight, to the point and definitive.

binadaat…

And sunburn…!

I must say – I never thought of it quite that way, but from that standpoint it _could_ be a good thing!

Re Binadaat #26: It’s overkill, though. In Israel, the Bedouin women have unconscionably high rates of mortality in childbirth — because they’re completely covered all of the time, their bones don’t get enough Vitamin D and, without immediate medical help, many can’t give birth safely.

16. suek says

Come on now, Book! If that’s true (many can’t give birth safely) how the heck is that they have such a high birth rate?

If it _is_ true…thank heavens! Reminds me of that joke about being grateful for all the male alligators that eat their offspring, which is good or we’d be up to our you know whats in alligators!

how the heck is that they have such a high birth rate?

They get supplied with Western medical care, food aid, and so forth. Otherwise, famine and disease would maybe, sort of wipe them out.

Still, humanity has continuously grown in population even with the rampant diseases and wars. Nature designed us to take a lot of killing as a species.

18. binadaat says

I’ve lived here over 20 years half that time in the desert and near Jerusalem, the rest on the coast and I can’t remember that I saw a woman in a burqa or similar. Hajab yes, and more of them all the time. Most of the men were also similarly covered up. The is sun is a killer here.
    Never heard about vitamin D deficiency! Negev woman give birth in Soroka Hospital which is the top medical center in the area !

binadaat

Vitamin D deficiency is also not uncommon in senior aged women, who may be house bound or in a Beit Horim. Although in Israel, it is probably less of a problem, since even while indoors the sun seems to permeate every nook and cranny.

The first rain is coming this Sunday (according to the weather report I checked this week). Enjoy.

1. Obama’s Wet Dream…

The Bookworm (who I adore) notes Barack Obama’s obsession with the chador, burqa, abaya, niqab, jilbab, or hijab (headscarf)… (sick sick sick) I’m noticing an interesting pattern in Obama’s Muslim speeches. He thinks it’s a very good thing for women…