A couple of weeks ago, I included in a post the statement that Barack Obama is anti-American. A dear and respected friend suggested that I was exaggerating. Obama may have a different vision of or goal for America, he said, but that’s scarcely the same as being anti-American. I’ve been thinking that over for a while and, after a lot of mental give and take about what it means to be “anti-” anything, have now decided that Barack Obama is indeed anti-American.
Everything has a fundamental essence, a quality that makes it uniquely itself. Take an orange, for example. It’s not only citrus fruit, it’s an orange colored citrus fruit. Horticulturists can alter its size, its texture, it’s sweetness, and the purity of its orange color, but it still remains an orange because that color is its definition. Change the color, however, and suddenly, you have the un-orange, the anti-orange. You have something completely different that no longer contains within it the essence of the original fruit. Lose the essence and you lose the orange.
America has an essence too, and that essence is liberty. America since its inception has been defined by liberty, both the liberty of the individual and the liberty of the nation. Individual liberty means that Americans should be subject to minimal government constraints. The state exists to serve the individual (commerce, transportation, security), not to control the individual. That’s why the Bill of Rights focuses so closely on individual freedoms: the freedom to speak, the freedom to write, the freedom to worship, the freedom to defend oneself with arms, the freedom from searches and seizures, etc. Liberty also extends to the nation. Both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are replete with examples of the Founders’ absolute obsession with national sovereignty. Just recently, we’ve been reminded of the fact that the Founders didn’t even want the appearance of impropriety and the risk of influence, since they specifically prohibited foreign emoluments for our presidents.
Despite blunders of enormous magnitude (slavery, the treatment of Native Americans, and the imprisonment of American Japanese), Americans have, for the most part, taken these freedoms with the utmost seriousness. We are a nation “of the people, by the people and for the people.” We have not allowed ourselves to be ruled by tyrannies, dictators or bureaucracies. We like our taxes low and our freedoms high. In the past 100 years, when we fight wars, we do not fight wars to conquer other people, we fight wars to free other people from tyrannies. Those on the Left who sneer at our “imperialist ventures” implicitly side with Hitler, with the North Koreans, with the Communist North Vietnamese, and with Saddam Hussein (mass murderer of his own people). While ordinary Americans shed blood so that others on foreign shores can live free, the Left cheers on those who would deny their own citizens (or the citizens of conquered nations) the same freedoms we unthinkingly enjoy.
All the freedoms I’ve discussed can very quickly be distilled into a single essence, an American essence: American individuals are free from control by and fear of their own government, and the American nation is free from control by other nations.
Barack Obama is anti-American because he wants to change this American essence. His domestic policy is directed at increasing government control in every area, which decreases individual liberty. Here’s an incomplete bullet-point list of his anti-liberty goals on the home front:
- He wants to remove any last vestiges of the marketplace from individuals’ control over their own health care, and put the government entirely in charge.
- He’s willing to give government control over American businesses (i.e., Bank takeover ands Government Motors).
- His administration, while on record as opposing the Fairness Doctrine, is aggressively exploring a backdoor regulatory scheme that would have precisely the same practical effect as the Fairness Doctrine: it would impose government restrictions on content, rather than allowing the market (that means us, the consumers) to control content.
- His FCC wants to control the internet, which is a humming beehive of free speech, much of it critical of Obama.
- Although he’s mostly erased the record, his dream is to create a civilian national security force, subordinate to the administration, which would be larger than the American military. The military, please note, is controlled by the Constitution and has traditionally existed as a separate entity from any government.
- He wants to take away the right to bear arms. He’ll pay lip service to supporting the Second Amendment, but his fundamental goal is to use government to remove arms from individuals. I’ve never held a gun in my life, but I know that the Founders understood that, for individuals, their single biggest defense against an overreaching government, is the right to arm themselves. Statists never allow their citizens to bear arms. Indeed, the first thing the Nazis did was ban guns in citizen’s hands.
- He wants to redistribute wealth. Without money, people have no choices. The more money the government siphons to itself, the fewer choices we, as individuals have, which makes us increasingly subordinate to the government.
Of course, not all these Obama dreams will become reality. As I noted above, Obama has been trying to delete evidence that he ever dreamt about a huge civilian security force at his beck and call. And with other dreams (for example, the Second Amendment) he’s doing a fancy dance by which he tries to hide his authoritarian impulses. But it doesn’t matter. This post isn’t about what Obama will actually do. It’s about what he wants to do, what his desires are vis a vis the American people — and it’s very clear that his desire is antithetical to the American essence. He wants to limit or destroy individual liberties.
Politically, too, Obama’s impulses are all antithetical to liberty. Again, some examples:
- He has turned against the only democratic nation in the Middle East (that would be Israel), in favor of the bloodied tyrannical theocracies on her borders.
- By reversing his pledge to keep a missile defense system in place in Poland and the Czech Republic, he has favored Iran’s Muslim tyranny over these democratic nations only so recently freed from Communism.
- Figuratively and literally, he bows to dictators (Saudis, Venezuelans, Russians, Iranians, Cubans). They ask, he gives. In other words, contrary to America’s hundred year history of siding with the people against their tyrants, he sides with the tyrants against their people.
- In Honduras, he sided with the delusional Zelaya against the people and the Constitution.
- In Iran, when the people took to the streets, he sided with the megalomaniac theocracy, against the people.
- In his much-heralded speech to the Muslim world, in addition to grounding Israel’s right to exist solely on a Holocaust the Muslim world denies, he repeatedly and noisily trumpeted the right of Muslim men to control Muslim women, a trope he reiterated in subsequent speeches. This goes beyond the idiocy of multiculturalism and actively supports the subordination of an eighth of the world’s population. (If 1/4 of the world is Muslim, and half of those Muslims are women….)
- In his speeches, he assures the tyrannies of the world that America is abandoning her century old role of America’s policeman. They are freed from any constraint.
- By joining the farce that is the U.N. Human Rights Council, he is lending America’s imprimatur to the most violently anti-Semitic, authoritarian, dictatorial, anti-American political body in the world.
- As part of his belief in the increasingly discredited notion of climate change, he stands ready to cede American sovereignty to a U.N. body that can control American wealth distribution and police the American body politic.
With the exception of the last item, and unlike the list regarding Obama’s domestic goals, the above bullet-points are not made up of things Obama merely wishes he can do. They are composed of things Obama has already done. He has subordinated America. America is no longer the symbol of liberty around the world. She’s just another nation and, worse, one whose leader, by temperament and political belief, has more reverence for dictatorships than democracies. In other words, when he deals with the world outside America’s borders, he has again denied America’s essence, which is as the symbol of and standard-bearer for freedom.
If every one of Obama’s desires and actions is antithetical to America’s core essence, then it is reasonable to say that he is anti-American. He’s not merely making little changes around the edges, smoothing away rough spots, augmenting existing traits, or getting rid of ugly cankers. Instead, both at home and abroad, he’s trying to destroy America’s essence, that commitment to liberty that makes her unique in this world, and that makes her uniquely American.
Given Obama’s authoritarian, anti-liberty (and, therefore, anti-American) impulses, Obama’s periodic, TelePrompter-generated professions of love for this country ring untrue. Just as we disbelieve statements of love from the man who beats his wife to a pulp because he’s trying to “improve” her so that she can achieve some impossible standard that would re-make her in the beater’s own mind, so too are we entirely justified in disbelieving Obama’s lukewarm affirmatives, when his behavior continuously shows a profound disdain for America and her core values.
UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take long. Within an hour of my having written the above, I learn that the same Obama administration that took days before voicing lukewarm support for the Iranian people under the thumb of a tyrannical theocracy, took mere minutes to condemn a bombing that killed the military wing of that same dictatorship. Obama’s every impulse is hostile to liberty.