Obama’s emotional affiliations are not American

I’ve been harping for years now about the fact that Obama’s emotional connection isn’t to America, but to something else.  I’ve thought it was to Leftism.  Rabbi Spero makes the very good argument that Barack Hussein Obama’s emotional affiliation is to Islam.  He doesn’t say that Obama is a religious Muslim.  He just notes that Obama’s emotions, when not tied to Leftist causes, resonate with a desire to admire and, to America’s cost, protect Islam.

Great.  Just what we need in our White House:  a Lefty Islamophile.

Comments

Book,
    > I’ve been harping for years now about the fact that Obama’s emotional connection isn’t to America
    Can anyone still disagree?   I’d think you had a deep emotional connection to the country you grew up in from the ages of, say, 5-12.   Obama spent nearly all of those years elsewhere.  Then, if you migrate to a country to live there, you could develop a deep connection to your new country.  But President Obama’s words and actions simply never carry any resonance like that when he speaks of America.   (And if he’s good at anything, it’s resonance in his speeches ;-)

> He just notes that Obama’s emotions, when not tied to Leftist causes, resonate with a desire to admire and, to America’s cost, protect Islam.

His handlers had better keep him WAY away from interactions with leading Muslims, then!   Americans may not think deeply about their politics, but if that 40% in the middle begin to gain that intuition that Barack Obama is not pro-America, and has a deep affinity for world Islam instead, he’s toast.

I’m not convinced he’s actively, consciously trying to harm America.  But he’s definitely internationalist, leftist, and thinks much of America doesn’t agree with his vision and is in his way.  If you add in the concept that he prefers Islam to Christianity…

2. kali says

It’s more than just the age he was exposed to a foreign culture–it’s the desire to be accepted. Those of us who are misanthropist grouches (and have parents who aren’t ashamed of their nationality) have an easier time resisting outside influences.

Between the ages of 12 to 18, I lived in Australia. I still remember an instance of defending the US, getting the usual “bloody Yank” in return, and then a quiet voice from the onlookers  saying, “Chris, *you’re* American” In six years of going to school with this jerk, I had never realized it, he was so acculturated.

I don’t know if Chris ever returned to the States. I did, and became the type of rabid, spittle-flecked patriot that liberals fear.  It’s all thanks to living abroad.

3. ralphsteadman says

Of course Obama’s Muslim faith had nothing to with his dismissal of the Panty Bomber as an “isolated extremist” and urging the country not to “jump to conclusions” after the Fort Hood shooting.
    Maybe he was just acting “stupidly”

4. JKB says

@ralphsteadman  I would prefer to deal with some one acting out of malice than naive idealism.  The malevolent have interests that can be confronted but the idealist will refuse all exposure to the truth about object of their idealism.  I’m not sure where you got that I was speaking about enlightened Islamic leaders.

5. 11B40 says

Greetings:
    I would just like to add this caveat: To the degree that President Obama has emotional affiliations, they are probably not true-blue American.  “As ye were abandoned, so shall ye abandon.”

6. Gringo says

kali:
    Yes indeed. My working in Latin America turned me from a progressive of the left into an evil flag-waving right winger. When you live in the US hearing incessant self-criticisms of the US, and then experience Latin America, the US looks pretty good by comparison. I’m not talking about material ease. I’m talking about corruption, red tape, treatment of the common man, bigotry, etc. My point about bigotry is that while the libs think the US is the poster child for bigotry, I found out that it also existed overseas, and that the US didn’t look bad at all by comparison. I have never heard of anyone becoming more liberal from living overseas.

I have never gotten the impression that NObama feels himself part of this country. He just happens to live here. His “bitter clinging to guns and religion”  thinking out loud to the upper crust at that San Francisco fund raiser showed that there was a substantial part of our country that in 45 years he hadn’t a clue about.

Here are NObama’s post 9/11 reactions  in the Hyde Park Herald, courtesy of the New Yorker and Jammie Wearing Fool.
    Even as I hope for some measure of peace and comfort to the bereaved families, I must also hope that we as a nation draw some measure of wisdom from this tragedy. Certain immediate lessons are clear, and we must act upon those lessons decisively. We need to step up security at our airports. We must reexamine the effectiveness of our intelligence networks. And we must be resolute in identifying the perpetrators of these heinous acts and dismantling their organizations of destruction. We must also engage, however, in the more difficult task of understanding the sources of such madness. The essence of this tragedy, it seems to me, derives from a fundamental absence of empathy on the part of the attackers: an inability to imagine, or connect with, the humanity and suffering of others. Such a failure of empathy, such numbness to the pain of a child or the desperation of a parent, is not innate; nor, history tells us, is it unique to a particular culture, religion, or ethnicity. It may find expression in a particular brand of violence, and may be channeled by particular demagogues or fanatics. Most often, though, it grows out of a climate of poverty and ignorance, helplessness and despair. We will have to make sure, despite our rage, that any U.S. military action takes into account the lives of innocent civilians abroad.
    We will have to be unwavering in opposing bigotry or discrimination directed against neighbors and friends of Middle Eastern descent. Finally, we will have to devote far more attention to the monumental task of raising the hopes and prospects of embittered children across the globe—children not just in the Middle East, but also in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe and within our own shores.

This is NOBama’s default reaction to 9/11. The standard lib “root causes” of “poverty and ignorance” were repudiated within days of 9/11 by discovery of the high level of education among the bombers and the masterminds of the day. While his “opposing bigotry” is also a standard lib reaction, it is also something that CAIR, the Muslim Brotherhood front in the US, could have written. IOW, not necessarily the reaction of someone sympathetic to the US.

It’s too bad that Book no longer has blockquote capabilities for her commenters.

7. BrianE says

“the US looks pretty good by comparison. I’m not talking about material ease. I’m talking about corruption, red tape, treatment of the common man, bigotry, etc.”

The etc would be racism. The US may be one of the least racist countries in the world.

Given Obama’s narcicissm I doubt he would be an ideologic of anything but himself. We should expect him to have an affinity to socialism, given his mother, grandparents, Frank Davis, Occidental, Columbia, Harvard, Wright, etc.

And he certainly leans that way. But to think he’s a true believing Muslim– one who believes that Mohammad wrote the actual words of God, and therefore infallible is a stretch. He once said he found the call to prayer “one of the most beautiful sounds” and I think he’s attracted to Islam for it’s pseudo religious qualities– litergy and community.

What attracts Americans to religions like Islam is that it is not Christianity, IMO. They are willing to engage in any level of emotional acceptance of the improbable as a reaction to the rather stark message of Christianity- you must be born again.

I see Obama as mostly a con man– I don’t know how that plays into his narcicissm, and one doesn’t necessarily require the other, I suspect. He discovered early on that he could get what he wanted by allowing others to see in him whatever they wanted as long as it advanced himself. The con is hiding is own lack of a core. I think the “blank slate” motif is compelling. To the extent the Obama fuels off of that and contributes to it makes him a difficult fellow to combat. No two people have the same complaint about him. Conversely everyone sees whatever positive attribute they wish, even when their fantasy is scuffed up by reality.

8. Gringo says

Lulu11:
    Maybe it’s time to start pressuring the LA Times again  to release that damning video they’re hanging onto so secretively.
    My guess is that the LAT  has sent the tape the way of  those 18 minutes Rosemary Woods “accidentally” took care of. Move along, nothing to see. I wonder if we will ever see any interesting tidbits out  of Tony Rezko and Blago.

9. ralphsteadman says

@JKB ” Better he were a Muslim.  . . . .  I would prefer to deal with some one acting out of malice than naive idealism.”

I appreciate your candor.

10. Lulu11 says

It is fascinating how his childhood in Indonesia has been glossed over as if it would have no impact at all on him. It is probable that a young Barack fasted during Ramadan, prayed on a prayer rug facing Mecca, heard Israel and Jew bashing in his schools and felt himself an outcast- half black and half white in an Asian land. (Incidentally, where is his half Indonesian sister?). Whatever impact his youth had- and it had to have some impact, this helps to explain his affinity to things Islamic- as well as one more explanation for his cold fish narcissism.
    The alliance between Leftists and Islamists came to fruition in later life. The man is a cover-up act. We will have to keep peeling away at the layers of deceit.

His mother’s not the sharpest tool in the shed, then, is she, sending Barack off into such an environment.
    But you have a point, definitely.
    By the way, I feel absolutely no affinity towards my home country. None. A little more than none towards Australia, where I spent 8 years. But I must admit feeling affinity towards my home state, and food.

I am totally with Kali and Gringo on this. I lived 18+ years abroad as a half-American expat and know that there is a Stockholm Syndrome at work with Americans desperate to fit in and gain acceptance in a new country. Thus, bad-mouthing your own country becomes de rigueur for many Americans, especially if they have neither the knowledge nor the wisdom to put their own country in perspective. I liken it to a dog baring its throat in submission to the alpha-male when entering a new territory.
    I too became a flag waving patriot on my return to the U.S. and it is a source of never-ending frustration to me how casually people here take their liberties and constitutional rights and the quickness that they either a) rise to put their own country in the worst possible light or b) point to the supposed utopian conditions of some mythical country abroad (Sweden, Thailand, France…take your pick) without knowing the first thing about those countries and what it is like to live there.
    From day one I recognized in Obama all same dishonorable and frankly stupid and bigoted world views of too many expats that I knew and for whom I had nothing but contempt. Unfortunately, he doesn’t really know anything about his (our) own country and I really don’t think that he cares to learn.

13. suek says

>>My guess is that the LAT  has sent the tape the way of  those 18 minutes Rosemary Woods “accidentally” took care of.>>

Maybe.  Or maybe they gave to Interpol for safekeeping…!

14. Gringo says

Danny: as I was working in the oil field, there was no need for me to abase myself. We were far from the leftist intellectuals.  Leftist intellectuals have no desire to get their hands dirty in the oil field.  For that matter, some  South American college graduates who are working in the oil field do not want to get their hands dirty, but that’s another story.
    As long as you were competent and did not behave as an Ugly American, but as  one interested in learning about the country one was working in, there was no problem. I worked with  the occasional horse’s behind, but one finds them anywhere in the world. It wasn’t an issue of anti-Americanism- in fact it didn’t come up.

I did occasionally encounter those critical of the US, but these were European tourists, not South Americans. Invariably, those were communists or com-symps.  The Communist Party attracted a substantial part of the electorate in France and Italy at the time.

Here is about the only  example I can come up with of a South American  criticizing the US. I worked in Argentina during the junta, which Carter criticized for its human rights violations. One time an inebriated Argentine of the working class said to me, “The US is interfering in Argentina.”  (This was the junta line regarding Carter’s talk about human rights.) ” Let’s have a beer.”