I need your help

I’ve mentioned before that I’m planning on epublishing a book consisting of my favorite old posts.  The book represents the faint hope that, after seven years of compulsive writing, I’ll be able to make a little money.

I’m actually on on track for getting the book out in the next couple of weeks.  I’ve got most of the editing done and am now concentrating on the actual publishing which is, of course, confusing.  One of the confusing thoughts was figuring out to create a good cover.  Thinking about the cover made me realize something I’d forgotten:  I don’t have a name for the book.  Even worse, I don’t have the imagination to come up with a name for the book.  I want it to be a name that is catchy, imaginative and at least somewhat descriptive.  (The last is important, because I’m hoping to get buyers who may not be familiar with me.)

Don Quixote had a good, clever idea — Out of the Blue — but I’m a little worried that people will think it’s about flying, rather than a conservative in liberal land.  Also, the book isn’t really about my experiences as a conservative in liberal land.  I mention it (indeed, my first essay is on the topic), but it really is my usual smorgasbord of opining on everything from politics, to education, to presidents, to media, etc.  I can see titling the book Out of the Blue followed by a colon and a descriptive clause, but I don’t know what that clause would say.

You all have proven over and over that, when it comes to word play, you’re the professionals and I’m the piker.  Any suggestions?

Also, if you were looking for a book of political and social essays to while away several hours of reading, how much money would you be willing to pay?  The e-purchaser, unless he or she is already familiar with the writer, is gambling that he (or she) isn’t just throwing away money.  This is always true when buying books, but it’s especially true in the self-publishing ebook world.  People who self-publish don’t give the buyer the Simon & Schuster or Random House assurance that the book is even written in intelligible English.  (I’ve downloaded a lot of free Kindle books that were completely unreadable.)

I can’t price too low (e.g, the 99 cent level), because I’ll never achieve enough volume to make that low price worth my while.  Likewise, I can’t price too high (e.g., the $10 level), because I don’t have a publishing house or reputation at my back.  I was thinking $5.00, which struck me as a price that some people might be willing to gamble for a long read.  What do you say?

Comments

Re price: I was thinking of suggesting $4.99, even before I saw your bottom line. Shave $0.01 off the $5. There’s something about $4.99 that makes it seem like a “deal,” even though it’s only a penny less.
    As for the title, here’s a thought: Red on Blue: The Life of a Secret Conservative in Liberal Land.

2. Friend of USA says

$4.99 sounds right.

As far as a title idea …

Bookwormeries?

Bookwormerations?

My brain is mush today, that is all I’ve got…

3. Michael Adams says

Tom A is right on the price.

I also rather like his title suggestion, pending the arrival of something better.  Danny, you out there? Hammer?  Y-guy?

I agree about $4.99.

Being a biologist, the first thing that came to mind was “Frass of a Bookworm”, but that’s really just a joke.

I’d condense Tom A.’s title to Red on Blue: A Secret Conservative in Liberal Land.

I’ll try to keep working on a title. Here’s a few  … although Out of the Blue and into the Read (red)

Plough shares into (s)Words

Turning bad ink into THINK
    The Spouse that Roared (nicely with facts)
    West Coast Story (stories)

I do have a suggestion for framing out the book. Start each chapter with one of those Mr. Bookworm questions, quips, swipes (you must have hundreds we don’t even know about), but each one has generated some wonderful articles. You can also preface each article with conversations you’ve had with your children or even your ‘trip’ to the library with the three librarians (a/k/a three blind mice).

If I think of any other titles…I’ll be back.

6. JKB says

Out of the Blue:  A Reformed Liberal sees the world anew

I can’t really come up with it but it seems to me that the title should announce that the writings are from a lifelong liberal who now sees the world as a conservative or libertarian.  That, as you do, there is the compare and contrast of someone who’s been on both sides.

As for cover design, perhaps something showing someone leaving a typical progressive crowd and looking out across America with open eyes?

I’m with the rest here: $4.99 sounds just right. Here are some suggested titles:

I’ll Never Bleed Blue

Burps from the Belly of the Beast

101 Ways to Cook Liberal Goose

A Bookworm Grows in Marin

Awake in Zombie Land

Daze End

Notes From Red America

Exiled in Blue America

The Bookworm Turns

Stranger in Paradise

Little Red Soapbox, Big Blue Tsunami

Oh, No You Don’t (You Liberal S***head)

Red Notes in a Blue Fugue

I knew that, with your help, I’d end up with an embarrassment of riches.  You guys are an endless source of inspiration, knowledge and wit.  Thank you so much for the ideas.  (And don’t stop sending them.)

Can’t stop laughing – Oh, No You Don’t (You Liberal S***head)

Okay, since your like the Navy …

Self Righting/Writing Myself

Capsizing the SHIP of BLUES

In marketing, most people pay attention the left most digit and the number of digits. Thus zeros look like a lot of thousands. While 9s don’t. And 4 is less than 5. Human psychology, hasn’t changed in over 50,000 years.

The price as suggested here before, sounds right. I leave the title to those with more fervent imaginations than I.