Mother Earth now has legal standing in Bolivia

You’re thinking my post title is a joke, right?  Wrong.  It’s the God’s — er, I mean Gaia’s — honest truth:

With the cooperation of politicians and grassroots organizations, Bolivia is set to pass the Law of Mother Earth which will grant nature the same rights and protections as humans. The piece of legislation, called la Ley de Derechos de la Madre Tierra, is intended to encourage a radical shift in conservation attitudes and actions, to enforce new control measures on industry, and to reduce environmental destruction.

The law redefines natural resources as blessings and confers the same rights to nature as to human beings, including: the right to life and to exist; the right to continue vital cycles and processes free from human alteration; the right to pure water and clean air; the right to balance; the right not to be polluted; and the right to not have cellular structure modified or genetically altered. Perhaps the most controversial point is the right “to not be affected by mega-infrastructure and development projects that affect the balance of ecosystems and the local inhabitant communities”.

Once again, I’m at a standstill.  I’d like to say something clever or insightful, but this reversion to a pre-Judeo-Christian primitivism has me absolutely hornswoggled.

I assume that the next law passed will be to authorize human sacrifice to assuage Mother Nature’s hunger.  Any virgins in Bolivia might want to start sidling to the exit just about now.

Comments

Not to worry, Book, it’s only Bolivians, who are not as smart or spiritually advanced as the ecologues who are pushing this on them. It’s not like they’re really going to miss evil things that they never had, like potable water, vaccinations, reliable transportation, sewers, street lights and all those other sins against Gaia.

What this rights conferring hides is a decidedly leftist agenda. Watch for the introduction of Gore-style offsets, where entrepreneurs pay through the nose for the privilege of violating Mother Gaia if her Bolivian gatekeepers (i.e. the parasites demanding the pay-off) allow it. Is there any gig sweeter than what the environmentalist movement has cooked up? The ability to swath oneself in righteousness and santimony while sucking up millions of dollars in bribes?

Gosh Charles, you write red meat so well!  When you get going on these leftist losers, I end up feeling like there’s hope in the air again!  Morning in America!

The thing about all this is that when people grant power to children and other entities that can’t make their own decisions, what they are creating are puppets, not protections. Because the puppets aren’t capable of making any decisions, animals, children, and the planet included, the people who do exercise the power are the greedy, power corrupt humans in charge.

People are always fooled into believing that if something is for the children, it’ll actually benefit the children. But why would it, when the children are not the ones deciding anything or given the power to make any decisions on their own authority. Decisions are made for them. Just like money is stolen from them and put into the pockets of other “people”, and guess what, who’s going to do anything about it? The ones most harmed and most interested in the issue, have no authority. And if the thieves become the guardian and deciders, then they’re guaranteed a role, much like the UN, of eternal parasite.

These transparent power plays using Gaia, are child’s play to my eyes, yet many people are fooled into thinking them authentic and good spirited. Nothing of the sort.

4. Gringo says

FYI:
    Here are some images from ABI of Morales’ Possession as the spiritual leader of the country. http://mabb.blogspot.com/2010/01/images-of-morales-inauguration-ceremony.html

While Evo says some batshit crazy things, at least he doesn’t meddle with the economy as much as his hero Thugo Chavez.
     BTW, Mother Earth is known in the Andes as Pachamama.
    Never a dull moment in Bolivia. One memory is seeing someone with a T-shirt that said “Chicago Red Sox.” I wish I had stopped the wearer of that T-shirt and purchased it from him on the spot. Pay him two T-shirts worth?  No problem. (As this was in a market, a replacement was easy to obtain.)

I suspect that this Mother Earth deal was written by some Europeans.  I have read some reports that a substantial part of Bolivia’s new Constitution was written by some leftist Spaniards.

5. Gringo says

Sadie:
     Try this one for the photos of  the ceremony:  http://mabb.blogspot.com/2010/01/images-of-morales-inauguration-ceremony.html

I must have copied and pasted some blank spaces with the first copy and paste. I discovered the mistake when re-clicking the original link ( above “does not exist”) and found out I had to move the cursor several spaces over to get a good link.  Lesson: always preview if you can.

In the ceremony, Evo mixed Andes religion with Amazon religion, which I doubt would have gone over very well back in the day. Nor is there much fondness even today between the highlands and the jungle. One is asphyxiating, the other is suffocating.

If you are interested, here are some Bolivian musicians to sample on YouTube: Savia Andina, Esther Marisol,Enriqueta Ulloa.

How do you say ‘oy’ in Spanish
    To add to what Michael Adams has said, “Caray” is also used. For emphasis, “Ay caray”  is used.

I just had an out of body experience. Not really, but a flashback to Sadie, a little girl of nine. sitting in the school auditorium with my classmates. The music teacher had handed us a new song to learn – Cielito Lindo! Absolutely clueless to the translation until I wiki.wacki.wooed it tonight after reading Michael Adams #12 Spanish selection.

Ay caray translates to Oy Vey, I guess.

Mucho gracias amigos (Michael Adams and Gringo)

p.s. Gringo, thanks for the weather report (One is asphyxiating, the other is suffocating)and musicians to hear. I am always curious to learn something new.

7. DL Sly says

“I assume that the next law passed will be to authorize human sacrifice to assuage Mother Nature’s hunger. Any virgins in Bolivia might want to start sidling to the exit just about now.”

Nahhh, where’s the fun in that?  And what happens when one gets caught trying to escape?  It makes more sense (and would be much more fun) to just get laid and remove oneself from the potential sacrificial pool.

And why do they always sacrifice virgins?  If I were their god, I’d be pissed at constantly having to teach my latest *offering* how to have sex.  I mean, seriously!  Send me someone that knows what they’re doing and enjoys it!  And such an idea would have a two-fold benefit:  Not only would their god be happier, but we could get rid of a whole lotta politicians at the same time.
    *snicker*
    *snort snort*
    0>;~}

If virgin sacrifice were to return…and if it were endorsed by a sufficient number of high-profile celebrities, professors, and The New York Times….you can be sure that many status-worshipping  Times-readers would make great efforts to ensure the virginity of their daughters in order to make them acceptable for the sacrifice.