Perry and the Gardasil leviathan

What do you all think of the Gardasil leviathan attached to Perry? Bachmann went off the deep end when she said that the vaccination causes mental retardation, but I know there are plenty of conservatives (Michelle Malkin is a good example) who think that Perry’s attempted Gardasil legislation makes him unfit for office.   Much as I respect Michelle, I have to disagree on this one.

Government has for decades mandated vaccinations as part of its public health responsibilities. Parents have always been allowed to opt out, but the default setting is to require vaccinations to stop the spread of transmissible diseases. I think even libertarians would concede that a core government function is to stop disease transmission, something that is entirely different from forcing people to buy health insurance and otherwise engage in “life maintenance” to save money.

People are also upset with Perry because they believe he was encouraging premarital sex. I think that’s wrong too. The vaccination confers a lifetime protection, but it seems to work only if you give it to young girls. There’s a small window of time within which to buff up that immune system. Despite the age at which girls receive the vaccination, it doesn’t exist simply to protect them during their teen years.  In other words, it’s not a premarital, teen sex aid.  Instead, it’s about any sex — martial, post-martial, extramarital, you name it. I bet a lot of famous 19th century women who got marital syphilis (e.g., Jenny Churchill and Isak Dinesen) would have loved to have had a syphilis vaccination when they were 12 or 13.

What’s your opinion on this one?  Do you think Perry’s Gardasil initiative (a) fell outside the traditional government public health role of disease prevention and/or (b) tacitly encourages girls to engage in premarital sex?

I continue to root for the candidate who can beat Obama, and who has a generally conservative, small government world view.  While I want someone with Churchill or Reagan’s charm, rhetorical chops, and moral courage, and, of course, Keanu Reeves‘ looks (always a good thing in a president), that candidate does not exist, at least not going into the 2012 election.  I refuse to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Of course, living in California, it’s not as if I have a choice.  By the time the primaries come here, it’s already decided.  Actually that’s a good thing this year, since the Dems managed to get the voters to agree to destroy the California primary process, with a new law that makes it impossible for people to choose the member of their own party whom they’d most like to see run for president — but that’s another story altogether.

Comments

1. Spartacus says

I don’t remember what the issue was, but I’m reminded of a hot potato that Dubya dealt with deftly at the 2000 or 2004 convention with the phrase, “[g]ood people can disagree about this,” or something very close to that.  And, not to be excessively binary about it, but I tend to see issues as breaking roughly into those two categories: those reasonable people of goodwill can honestly disagree about, and those they can’t.  (For examples of the latter category, please review a history of the Obama Administration.)
    I see the Gardasil thing as wrong, but defensible:

Communicable diseases and cervical cancer are both bad, so there’s an argument to prevent them.
    We already vaccinate for other things, so we’re not breaking into an entirely new category of government here.
    This was the State of Texas, not the Feds, so there are no violations of federalism.
    I don’t buy for one minute that Perry was influenced by $6,000.
    There was an opt-out.
    The big one: by making it a required vaccination, many poor families got it covered under their insurance; otherwise, it would have been more of a vaccination for the rich.

Damned if he did, damned if he didn’t.  I’m more bothered by squishiness on immigration than this one, but still not drawing any lines in the sand (except for Huntsman, of course).  And although I think Bachmann is still my favorite, she was way out of line ripping him on this.

2. Randall Woodman says

Bachmann was over the top and I think this will pull her down in the polls.  Pushing the line that someone told her that it created mental retardation is hearsay and as a lawyer she should know better than to rely on it.  I like her but I think she was over the top and hurt herself more than it helped. I have a lot to say about Perry being that I live in TX.  But let me offer a few points.  First Perry admitted that he made a mistake.  Not about pushing this on to kids but about not going through the proper process.  He needs to admit that it shouldn’t be a government decision in the first place.

True enough but there is a big difference here that is very much key.  All mandated vaccinations in the past were related to AIR BORN diseases.  That is, you could contract the disease simply by being in the same room with an infected person.  Not so with HPV.  Unless an infected person exchanges bodily fluids with someone, they can’t get it from them.  In most cases that’s a voluntary  exchange.

Not quite true.  It works for anyone that has not contracted HPV yet.  Once you have it, it’s too late. It is also not a foul proof protection.  It increases your chances of not getting infected but it is not 100%. Here’s some more information.  http://www.cogforlife.org/gardasilfacts.htm Now, about Perry.  Perry talks a good talk but governs more to the center.  He’s no conservative. Here is a list of bullet points I keep around for anyone that thinks Perry is great.  That said, if he is the GOP candidate running agonist Obama I’ll still vote for him; just not in the primaries.
    * Toll Roads and Trans Texas Corridor – Is it socialism, fascism or communism? (2003)
    * Business Margins Tax – backdoor state income tax (2006)
    * HPV vaccine mandate – Attack on parental rights (2007)
    * FLDS El Dorado raid – Religious Oppression, traumatizes 438 children and their parents; out of control Child Protective Services raid based on crank phone call (2008)
    * Defeats Steven Wayne Smith – makes robo phone calls against most conservative Supreme Court judge in modern Texas history (2004)
    * Vetoes Texas Eminent Domain Bill – taking your land for a toll road more important than signing property rights protection overwhelmingly passed by Legislature. (2007)
    * Signs Hate Crimes bill — Attack on free speech and creates thought crimes, includes sexual orientation as a class! (2001)
    * Globalist bootlicker – for United Nations, NAFTA, CAFTA, Trans Texas Corridor, Bilderberger toady.
    * Governor for NINE years, then reads about the 10th Amendment a few weeks ago. (2009)
    * Supports No Child Left Behind Act and Dept. of Education (Hey, is the federal government running your local school in the Constitution? Fine with Rick Perry.)
    * Endorsers liberal cross dresser and gun grabber Rudy Guiliani for President (2008) – tells his good friend Mike Huckabee I love you like a brother, but you can’t win so I am going with gun grabber Rudy Julie Annie, he’s a sure thing! The Bilderbergers said I can be VP if I grovel enough and am for toll roads, globalism, open borders, big government and, of course, the Federal Reserve.
    * Token opposition to illegal immigration – probably because the illegals will be building all his toll roads! Opposes wall on Mexican border.
    * Does not stand up for elected State Board of Education every time it gets castrated by the liberals in the legislature (2000s). Throws crumbs to conservatives on SBOE, but when they really need him, hides under desk, sticks fingers in ears.
    * Instituted state CHIP program!, a widely abused program and one more step to socialized medicine, more taxes and rationed healthcare. (Hey, is CHIP in the 10th Amendment?)
    * Texas Enterprise Fund –  basically, Rick Perry’s slush fund for politically connected insiders, another WASTE of your tax dollars. Big Government + Big Business = Fascism.
    * Supports whopping $3 Billion Cancer BOND, the Lance Armstrong cancer tax – more taxing, borrowing and spending. (2007).
    * Tries to intimidate FEMALE state trooper who pulls him over for speeding while he was lieutenant governor, telling her “Why don’t you just let us get on down the road?” as she was writing him a ticket.
    * Tells a Houston tv reporter Ted Oberg “Adios, mofo.” (2005)
    And so much more.

3. jj says

Well, of course that’s the core of the issue right there in the first line of your second graf, isn’t it?  “Government has for decades mandated…”  The idea that government mandates – much of anything, is the problem.  I think we’re all pretty goddam sick of government mandating stuff, or thinking it can, or supposing it has the right to.

Bachman has been off-balance and exposing her not-much-more-than-Obama level of experience since Perry showed up.  It’s understandable why – she came out of Iowa thinking she was the front-runner, a week later Perry gets in officially, and all of a sudden she’s not running in front of anything any more, except, possibly, an oncoming train.  I imagine it’s both disconcerting and frustrating to her, but she’s reacting very, very, badly – and presenting us all with an ongoing object lesson on the difference between  being ready for prime time, and not quite.

I watched the last debate, and I was no more than fifteen minutes into before I was muttering, “you’re going to break your arm patting yourself on the back that way, lady.  ‘I did this, I did that, I fought for this one, I opposed that one, I led the fight, I worked for two years, I,I I, I…'” – well, aren’t you just special!

And then comes the vaccination deal, and she proves her amateur standing by not knowing when to shut up, bow gracefully, and get off.  She hits Perry with the core of the issue, that government mandated it – (and tells half the story – yes, you could effortlessly opt out) – and to that extent, a fairly minor issue but central idea to a small-government constituency, she has a winner.  And Perry even agrees with her, admits the mandate aspect was wrong, and says he wishes he hadn’t done it.  So STOP, Michelle – you won!  But no.  She whacks away at it some more until I’m thinking, “what would you like, lady?  You want him to wheel out a tepid bath, climb in, and open his veins?  What should he do, here?  He’s admitted it was a mistake, he’s said he was wrong, he wishes he hadn’t done it – what would you like?”

And then, of course, she opens the door into the relationship – which has, by the by, been looked into previously – between his chief of staff and Merck Pharmaceuticals, and – I really do wonder if she realizes it or not – effectively, on the stage in a national debate, accuses him of committing a felony.  (Rick Perry occasionally flies off the handle, and I think she’s just lucky he didn’t bring things to a screeching halt right there, and invite her to call her lawyer.  How conscious she was of it remains a question, but that was a serious accusation you just made there, lady.  And you did in front of several million witnesses.  Have a subpoena.)

She had a win when she accused him of pushing the mandate – he admitted he was wrong – she won.  She didn’t recognize a win when she had it in her hand, and kept pushing.  She couldn’t find the off button for her mouth.  This was never an argument about the merits of vaccinating; that wasn’t – and isn’t – the question for any advocate of constitutionally small government.   But now there’s this whole national debate – which I know damn well she didn’t intend – about the merits of gardasil.  Having started it, she had no choice but to participate in it the next morning on the morning shows, so she did, and now everybody’s supposed to waste time and expend effort talking about an issue that’s entirely off the point.  Amateur mistake on two counts: she’s started a nation-wide riot more or less by accident; and said riot lets Rick Perry right off the hook for his governmental overreach in Texas – nobody’s talking about that at this point.

I think his initiative was outside the role of government – but it did offer an opt-out, plainly visible, effortlessly accessed, and if you didn’t want little Vanilla to get vaccinated Rick Perry’s government wasn’t going to make her.  The fact that a kid gets vaccinated against something that may be transmitted via sexually activity now equals approval – tacit or otherwise – of that activity is a new one on me, I didn’t even think of that.  If you get the pneumonia vaccination is that encouragement to go outside jogging in January blizzards with your shirt off just as though it was July?  Not to me it isn’t, but I suppose there are always those.

But thanks for the irrelevant controversy, Michelle.  Tell us again about the woman who came up to you whose kid had a terrible reaction to a vaccine – we need to hear about it again a few hundred more times.

Public (and most private) schoolchildren must receive the MMR vaccination – but that one is for diseases that are readily communicable.  Cervical cancer is not communicable, so the public safety issue is not acceptable to me.  I believe home-schooled children are not required to get even the MMR vaccine.

I think it is a laudable goal to offer the Gardasil vaccination, and worth it.  But I would definitely favor the opt-in approach.  Perhaps as a concept opt-out is acceptable, but practically-speaking in Texas, it is an utterly ridiculoous process, involving:
    – Submit a request for the opt-out form via snail mail
    – Get the opt-out form via snail-mail.  Fill it out
    – Get the opt-out form notarized, INCLUDING PAYING FOR NOTARIZATION.  (How many parents will be willing to take it even this far?)
    – Send the form in via snail-mail
    All the above must be done at exactly the right point in time, which I believe is 30 days prior to the start of 6th grade.  If you’re late, or the nail mail is screwed up, too bad.

And then there are the insurance and regulatory problems, which are nasty!  And, after two years, you have to go the whole opt-out process again.  WHY?!?!?!?

But these may be better arguments for reforming the opt-out PROCESS, because as it stands it is all bad law.  The above may not suffice as an argument against the opt-out IDEA itself. Still, I’d go with opt-in, purely because it conforms more closely to me with parental rights overriding those of the Nanny State government, except where the state has a clear and thoroughly compelling interest.  I firmly do not believe the State has a firm, clear compelling interest in this matter such that parental rights can be overridden.

The $5,000 donation is chump change compared to the total of $36million in campaign contributions.  And Merck donated widely to thousands of politicians.  Not an issue for me at all.

If this is the only example of Rick Perry nanny-state-ism that they can dig up, then I can let this one go.

To this point, I’m leaning toward Perry.  I don’t trust Romney; I find him too oily, smarmy, and slick.  He’s bent over backwards on universal health care with the individual mandate, despite what he says NOW, and he did the same liberal kowtowing on global warming, giving no acknowledgment to the skeptics at all.  He bought it hook line and sinker.  I do not trust him.

My support for Herman Cain has waned.  He hasn’t elevated his performance as I’d expected him to.  As one commenter put it, on the debate stage he’s coming across like a salesman in a conference room pitching is product.  It’s just not going to work.  He’s a great guy and his instincts are right on and he is solution-oriented, but his performance to this point qualifies him for a Cabinet post, not president.

The same is true (for me) of Michelle Bachmann.  My judgment is she needs more political seasoning to be able to run the Executive Branch effectively.  The problem for Congressmen is that they must show me that they have what it takes to perform executive leadership, and Bachmann, Santorum, and certainly Ron Paul are not proving their case.  I need more than ideological fervor and commitment – which work for Congress – but aren’t enough for the Presidency, not for me.

I’m not even considering Gingrich.  And Jon Hunstman might cause me to stay home on election night, I dislike and mistrust him so much.

Any of my above impressions could change as things unfold, of course.  There’s still plenty of time.

5. Caped Crusader says

WHEW!!!!!!! I remember some previous election when someone made the erudite comment saying…”we couldn’t loose if we did not have to come up with a candidate”. I vote for a “smiley face” that stands for everything good and conservative and against all evil. Everyone seems to have too many irrevocable stands.

My bottom line is that this discussion is ultimately all good, as it’s revealing more about the candidates, which is what we want before we commit ourselves to supporting one. I am not committed to any one of them yet. On the other hand, I hate hearing anybody–especially conservatives who are supposed to know better–bash any of the candidates in an unfair or misrepresenting way about the Gardasil topic or any other topic. I’m especially distressed by right-wing bloggers piling on Michele Bachmann for claiming Gardasil or ALL vaccinations CAUSE “mental retardation.” She did not say that. Her point in this case was that there are legitimate health concerns about Gardasil and some parents have had terrible aftereffects happen to their kids that they do attribute to Gardasil, even if the drug manufacturer and the CDC does not. Google “Gardasil deaths” and you will be troubled–or at least, as a parent, I am.

I am also concerned that unlike the polio and other traditional and established vaccines, the Gardasil vaccine is new and hasn’t got that long of a track record. It should be up to the parents to decide if and when the Gardasil vaccine is appropriate for their child–not the state. Public health mandates should have no place in this argument because the cancer is not generally contagious. Like Michelle Malkin, my children are all up-to-date on their vaccinations, except for Gardasil, whicih I have chosen not to get for them, as yet. I am waiting and keeping informed.

I had not heard that the Gardasil vaccination’s effects last for a lifetime. I had heard it was not known how long it is effective. I have seen in the last few years doctors now telling me my children’s chicken pox and tetanus and meningitis vaccinations are no longer as effective as thought. My daughter just had another tetanus shot after only FIVE years–what next will they be telling us about Gardasil in another five? There is so much they do not yet know about this. I would love for this to be the silver bullet against HPV, which I have been well aware of since my own college days, but I am wary as of yet, especially for my own children.

My daughter is now just 16. She has been wearing a “promise ring” since she was 12, meaning she intends to have sex only with her husband someday. She has no boyfriend. I have looked into Gardasil, and I do not see ANY reason whatsoever to have my daughter get the three injections yet. In fact, I am more of a mind to let her know the pros and cons and let her make her own decision about when and if she will be vaccinated herself. Which is what I have done for my son. I would be beyond furious if my state decided to dictate that my children be vaccinated against our wishes.

If this is such a silver bullet, why did Perry only want to vaccinate girls and not boys? Why not all adults up to age 26 (recommended highest age)? Anyway, on this subject I side with Michele Bachmann and agree Perry was not only wrong, but it troubles me what else he might think is appropriate that I would also disagree with on conservative principles

Caped Crusader: Everyone seems to have too many irrevocable stands.

Caped, this is just about my preference on who I’d vote for in the primary.  I’d vote for any of them over Obama – with the exception of Huntsman, and I’d probably end up voting for him over Obama, too.  I can’t help it that there’s just something about the guy that leaves my intuition screaming at me hurricane volume: Fake! Fake! Fake! Fake! Do not trust him, keep him as far away from office as possible!  There’s just something there triggering that reaction.   And Ron Paul has some truly bizzare ideas – Ross Perot bizzare-worthy – swimming around in his head, and at least one comes tumbling out in every debate.  How many more such weirdnesses are in there swimming around that he simply hasn’t blurted out yet???  But at least he keeps the entertainment value high.

Bachmann has definitely lost me. I am not a militant Perry supporter but I do live in Texas.  I was here all during that issue it was always well known to have an opt out. A lot of mothers and fathers, like Zabrina are sure their little virgins will stay that way until marriage.  That may be true. What about those men they are going to marry? have they stayed virgins? Probably not. It’s the boys who should be vaccinated, they are the carriers.
    You can carry any grudge you want to against Perry but the circular firing squad will get us another Obama term.

9. Caped Crusader says

Mike Devx
    Caped Crusader: Everyone seems to have too many irrevocable stands.

Couldn’t agree more. Huntsman just has a “look” that turns me off and Paul listened to too many Twilight Zones, I fear

In his shoes (with the cancer in my own family) I’d have done the same (pushed for vaccination of the population that has the most risk that would gain the most, esp. since this is a communicable disease with not all vectors known). And a large company with deep pockets is standing behind it – meaning they could have found a foil that protected their investors – and chose not to.
    Though I’d have asked for proposals on how to accomplish this to defuse some of the anti-vaccine “you didn’t listen to our concerns/anxieties” – founded or unfounded they still cause the citizen to worry – and get their input on how to they’d prefer we handle this opportunity to defuse this one-of-many threats that would end the life of one out of (20?) of the children of the parents in this room. Where if we mandated it the number would drop to one in 200, and if we rely on voluntary use it would rise to 1 in 15. And this is one of the activities where only government can act, a situation where there are only bad and worse alternatives.
    Fyi, I travel to places many don’t and I carry the standard (UN) shot-card yellow shot-card that’s 2/3rds filled (with immunization shots). I’ve had weeks of accumulated headaches and bodyaches from the vaccines, but in every case they pale compared to the disease. (and I highly recommend the rabies vaccine for folks in places without animal control or religious strictures.)
    Here’s a proponent’s response to the Perry criticisms. For a ex-dem, he’s not bad. Though I’ve thought this about other ex-dems as well.  And I’ll vote for the most conservative candidate left standing after the primaries.  The dems have already defeated themselves so we all can vote our heart in the primaries.  And I would like to see every incumbent primaries with (even just) proforma candidates to their right, in every election (just to give the representatives a motivation to move even further to the right – redefine compromise as to the right of the elected body – as opposed to today, were every compromise is to the left, by definition..)
    . And yes, Ms. Bachmann dropped a notch or two in my eyes.  No discussion of the why vaccination is important.  And why errors have to be tolerated and expected both in justice and public health.

That’s a fair question. Hep B vaccine came out in the 1980s, has a longer tract record, and as far as I can tell, has caused no deaths. Gardasil’s been out since 2006, and has 32 deaths linked to it already:

Hep B can be passed by contact with blood or bodily fluids, not just by sexual activity, which is why vaccinations are recommended for travel to certain parts of the world. But as far as I can tell, HPV-caused cervical cancer is transmitted only by sexual activity. The article above notes that the effectiveness of the vaccine may be for only five years, which would make innoculating 11-year-olds perhaps not worth the expense or the risk.

13. Wade says

That’s my big concern about the vaccine — it really isn’t clear how long it will be effective, and vaccinating 12 year olds may leave them thinking they are protected when they aren’t, at the age they are most likely to become sexually active (late teens/early twenties).

I really like Bachmann, but I think she blew it on this one.

Not that I think she’s wrong on the principle — because even if this vaccine were perfect (and it’s not), it’s wrong for the government to require it for grade-school kids, since it’s a sexually transmitted virus and not passed around in the classroom.  Educate folks?  OK.  Encourage parents to consider it for their kids?  OK.  Make it available at reduced cost?  OK.  But no mandate.  It’s even worse for Perry to require it on his own, as if he were dictator….or Obama (but I repeat myself!). Ms Bachmann should have stuck to THIS issue, period.

That said, it is monumentally foolish for Rick Perry to have allowed his former chief of staff anywhere NEAR the governor’s office once he became a lobbyist for Merck!!  I mean, talk about the “appearance of impropriety”!  It’s this kind of thing that makes me support Glenn Reynolds’ proposal to tax all income of a politician or staffer leaving office, that is in excess of their final salary, at 50% for five years.

I’m appalled that Rep. Bachmann reported the constituent’s story linking Gardasil and retardation.  We do NOT need to provide more ammunition for unscrupulous politicians to link the GOP to a disdain for science.  It’s a ridiculous accusation for the Party of Man-Caused Global Climate Catastrophe for our Mother Gaia to be making, but with their willing accomplices in the Legacy Media, it’s a problem.

When I read and heard Michele Bachmann’s lamentable response to Perry’s ill-advised actions, my own thought was (sadly) “Put a fork in her — she’s done.”

I’m not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. Still, I am a husband, father and now, grandfather. I am also a Texan. I do believe Perry is getting a bad rap on Gardasil. It protects against a nasty form of cancer and must be given before the patient becomes sexually active.  Now this vaccine is also fairly expensive and the common health insurance policies down here only pay for the mandated school vaccinations.  Perry had an easy opt-out clause in the executive order for those parents who are sure their daughters would stay virgin until the age of forty. Bad ol’ Perry, trying to save lives when he knew damned well that a large percentage of families  would look at the cost and spend that money some other way, thinking MY daughter wouldn’t do that! Lots of daughters do, and did.  The Trans Texas Corridor is another bad rap. Yeah, it was going to be a toll road. There are toll roads everywhere. Meanwhile what should be a four-five hour drive from Dallas/Fort Worth to San Antonio is very often a ten hour drive because the freeway is always under repair.  And with the number of trucks on the road, it’s getting worse instead of better, and the taxes on gas that are supposed to pay for roads and their upkeep are being siphoned off to pay for highspeed trains to nowhere and empty busses in big cities. So, Perry and staff got a big idea, a corridor through Texas, wide enough for a superhighway, railroads, electrical transmission lines, oil and gas pipelines. Everything transportation, all in one place. And all paid for by private industry getting their expected profit by tolls. And anyone too cheap to pay the tolls can ride on poor, broken down I-35.  Damn that Rick Perry! The nerve of someone trying to keep Texas from becoming California.

I have to agree with you, Earl. Bachman took testimony from one person at face value without cross examination. She showed herself to be impulsive, not fact-based. She is supposed to be a trained lawyer.

Sadly, I was very hopeful for Bachman but, in my own view, she is done….unless it becomes a contest between her and Obama, of course.

17. NancyB says

From Kim: “Many commenters are noting the difference between Gardasil and the traditional vaccines such as MMR in that these others are for diseases that are air-born and very communicable. But these folks seem to be forgetting the Hep B vaccine, which is mandated by most states including Minnesota. Hep B is an STD as well as a disease that can be passed by sharing needles. I’m curious. Why is Gardasil is off limits as a “mandatory” vaccine but Hep B is ok?” Good question Kim.  I work with newborns – they get the Hep B shot before they go home from the hospital-what’s up with that?  Will they be sexually active at home?  Will they be “shooting” up?  Of course not – I see it as a control issue….Yes, the parents can opt out but most don’t.  They just go along like sheeple without even a question. As to the HPV vaccine – there’ s lot we don’t know.  Life-long immunity?  How do we know?  It’s only been around a few years.  “Authorities” (loosely used term here) have told us for years that all childhood immunizations confer life-long immunity – now they’re singing a different tune.  And there is plenty of data out there to show that the incidence of most childhood diseases peaked BEFORE mass immunization was implemented. Here are some interesting links – yes, some authors are selling their products but so is the federal government. Doesn’t negate the truth. http://www.naturalnews.com/033715_Rick_Perry_HPV_vaccine.html http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=349469