Heels are NOT a power thing

Apparently the newest metrosexual statement is for men to wear high heels.  The claim is that it’s a “power statement” because you tower over others.

I beg to differ.  Heels mess with your balance and your ability to walk forward.  I discovered this as a young lawyer.  My opponent (male) and I moved to our tables before judge.  He, wearing flat shoes, strode forward; I, wearing fashionable 2.5 inch heels, wobbled and minced.  Rather than radiating power, I radiated helplessness.  Sure I looked sexy, but I also looked useless.

Historically, only physically useless men have worn heels.  (Think of the French aristocracy, which had the power of money, but was as effete as they came.)  This is one more horrible step in the de-masculinization of Western culture.

Comments

1. kali says

I suspect as with the trends for male skirts and male cosmetics, this was made up by a lifestyle editor in desperate need of a subject.

But I will point out that every executive woman I’ve met has worn heels and strode purposefully in them.

Yes, I clicked on the link that you provided, Book, and took a look at the picture of the two guys there in high heels…

My very first thought was how powerful and dominant they look!  Snark.  Actually, I think there was a period of time there, it may have been minutes, when I couldn’t even form coherent thoughts.  Then I picked my jaw up off the floor and moved on.

My power is my ability to run over power using my H2H methods, car, truck, van, bus, or train. I doubt my power to trip while running or inability to properly transfer power with the weak heel spike, is going to do much of anything to sweep my enemies before me.

I read a lot of what people write and say about kicking, such as TKD in fights or self defense situations.

Mostly the age old recommendation is to limit one’s kicks to easier to access targets, like the lower body: pelvis, groin, thighs, knees, shins, or ankle/feet. Kicking any higher would require more time, put you on one leg and thus strain your balance if anything unexpected happened (like an enemy grabbing your leg and counter-attacking).

Anyone think up a way to stand on one leg while wearing high heels and be able to kick with any degree of force transfer and structure? Forget side kicks, roundhouses, or even front snap kicks. If it hits wrong or if your stance is just a little bit weak, you will fall OVER the side of your ankle.

If any woman wants to know how to run away from aggressors: first take off your high heels, then maybe you can make a run for it.

While it is true the heel spike can be used as a puncture weapon, that’s mostly because people grab it in their Hands.

So high heels is like being naked. It’s a luxury afforded to people who don’t have to worry about enemy raiders, animal predators, bears, snakes, or what not.

5. kali says

Y: my experience with Japanese gender switch scenarios armored me with all out defenses.

So you were expecting someone with a kettle of hot water to wander by too?

I think this is a GREAT trend, actually…..it will immediately identify the smarmy idiots I want to stay away from!

A bit like “Smart Cars”….you know, those tiny roller-skate-like vehicles with a self-certified Moron behind the wheel?

I have to disagree with the assertion that heels are not a power thing.

When I see a woman with great legs walking around in heels, all I know is that she can have her way with me. For example, Dana Delaney, who is 55, walks around “Body of Proof” all the time in killer heels. That woman is gamilicious. She can be my medical examiner any time she wants.

8. Libby says

After laughing all I can wonder is why on earth would designers attempt to introduce mens heels at a time when so many are unemployed (and probably at homing wearing comfy clothes and no shoes) or those that are employed are likely dressed casual/business casual. Even male celebrities go out of their way to appear casual and disheveled on the red carpet.

Well, heels do provide additional height, and there is an innate prejudice to view tallness more favorably (by innate I mean it appears to cross all cultures).

When I clicked on Book’s link, I expected to see something more akin to cowboy boots or 70′s glam-style platform shoes.  Seeing stiletto heels on guys… well, all I can say is, I’ve never seen masculinity celebrated in photos of men on European fashion stages, so I’m not surprised.  But how jarring it is.  And when you read the quotes of the fellows who are in favor of it (sound their quotes out in your head to get the “full flavor”) the last thing that also comes to your mind is masculinity.

The reason why humans are so stupidly easy to control is the fact that they obey tallness, yet are not consciously aware of why.

Such a simple thing. Now be aware that there are far more complicated methods of control, that people obey, yet aren’t even aware that they obey them.

Mmmmm. There is something rather “La Cage Aux Folles” about this. It certainly goes a long way to e’splainin’ why Europe seems to have problems producing babies, don’t you think?

Danny L says: There is something rather “La Cage Aux Folles” about this. It certainly goes a long way to e’splainin’ why Europe seems to have problems producing babies, don’t you think?

In this case I think you’re right.  We are talking about guys embedded in the fashion industry, or very closely attuned to it.  They represent a segment of the gay population that you can call effeminate – which means feminized.  But there are plenty of “metrosexuals” out there who have a lot of the same traits, meaning they’ve been feminized (although not to the same extent), but they’re not gay at all, not in the slightest.  And there are plenty of gays not feminized either – you can think of your boring accountant types (who have hardly any personality traits at all, to stick to a stereotype), or macho types, or other types.  They’re out there.

But yes, in this case, looking at the pictures and reading the quotes, they do have that “La Cage Aux Folles” thing going on, which ties directly into cultural comfort with wearing these bizarre stiletto pumps.

How many of the guys quoted in that article are married?  Have children?  I’m betting zero.

I’ll connect this to men’s high heels in a second. . .

I was reading today that Keith Olbermann is drawing 46,000 viewers nightly on the Al Gore channel. That means that on any given weekday evening in the United States, one out of every 6,739 Americans is watching the guy. Yet (some) people continue to pay attention to him. Why?

Now, back to permanently pubescent men who wear spike heels: How many of these clueless sissies can there be? Even half as many as watch Olbermann? Who cares?

SADIE, SADIE…I beg to disagree! How could you overlook this:

(Charles M…I  know from a previous conversation that this video will warm the cockles of your war-mongering heart).

Full screen, please…

Dang, two of my favorite Bookwormers, unbeknownst to them, have posted videos that sing to and boil my half-Irish/half-Spanish blood.

Screw you, England. When you can dance like my beloved Spick and Mick ancestors, I’ll take you seriously.

If it is a statement of power, then it is a statement that you don’t got any. They believe that a superficial status symbol will provide them power if all their socialite and libprog friends say it does. No. Reality is a bit different from what the LibProg based community wants it to be.

Those who have no power of their own, that have to borrow it from peasants or fake it to their friends, is going to make a statement of this pathetically morose image to the rest of us? Go right ahead.