A genius idea

I just have to pat myself on the back here, because I came up with a genius idea.  We bought our Christmas tree (er, pardon, Hanukkah bush) today.  Prices this year have been surprisingly low, so I ended up purchasing a 7′ tall tree for all of $40.00.  It’s a gorgeous tree.

Getting a 7′ tree in the house, in the stand, upright, and watered is a daunting task.  Here’s where my genius idea comes in:  I took an old king size sheet with me to the tree lot, one that I bought years ago for the kids to make play houses with.  I put the sheet on the ground, rolled the tree onto it, and then tied the sheet together at both the bottom and the top of the tree.  The tree slid in and out of my minivan effortlessly, and left no needles.

When we arrived home, and while the tree was still wrapped up and lying down, I put the tree stand on.  The kids and I then carried tree (with stand) into the house.  All of the needles remained neatly in the sheet.  We got the tree upright, adjusted the stand, added water to the base — which was easily accessible — and only then let the branches down.  A hail of needles followed.  Since the tree is in excellent shape, I assume it was the one at the bottom of the truck, and that the needles came from every other tree in the truck.

I shudder to think what the mess would have been like if it hadn’t been for my excellent idea.  As it was, I vacuumed around the base of the tree, and everything was perfect.  I’m really quite pleased, both with myself and with my tree.

You guys have probably already thought of this idea (and I’ve heard of Christmas tree bags, although I’m sure that only excessively well-organized people think to buy those), but I’m still pretty pleased with myself.  The fact that no one at this busy, busy lot had either sheet or bag tells me that this wrapping technique isn’t common.  Indeed, the Christmas tree salesman was very impressed and said that, henceforth, he’ll bring a big sheet for his own tree.

Sorry for being the boastful rooster, crowing on my own dunghill, but it’s so rare for me to have these light bulb moments that I get ridiculously excited.

Comments

I’ll be the first to say it:

WAY……TO……GO!!

And if we EVER have another Christmas Tree (why?  $40.00 for…..?), I’ll keep your great idea in mind.

But Really — Fabulous Idea….and I particularly like the fact that (except for that $40.00) it didn’t cost a thing!!

2. TREGONSEE says

A nice tip.  My 20+ year old artificial tree is starting to shed a bit.  I store it in huge plastic trash bag.  Other than that, the process is about the same.

Happy Ramahanukwanzmas!

3. DL Sly says

*pats Ms. Bookworm on the back*
    Next year buy a sheet that is shiny and festive, then leave it on the ground around the tree to catch the inevitable fall out as the season goes on.  Less vacuuming and when you’re ready to take the tree down, the sheet is already around the base ready to wrap up and haul outside.  Then, after laundering, you can store the sheet with your decorations for the next year.
    0>;~}

4. suek says

I bought my Christmas tree about a month ago. It’s about 2.5 feet tall. It’s also in a pot. It cost about $35, if I remember correctly.

That seems pretty pricey, but next year, it will be closer to 3.5 feet tall, and won’t cost any more. The next year, I’ll transplant into a bigger pot, and maybe we’ll reach the 5 foot mark. I may have to pay for the bigger pot.

I probably wouldn’t do it this way if I had kids in the house to celebrate with, but since I don’t – this way makes me feel good. I get about 3 years before the tree is really too big to manhandle into the house and out again.

5. NavyOne says

Hmm, no picture?

I understand that you are icognito in Marin, Book. But surely a pic wouldn’t kill your cover.

Ah, nevermind, I’ll google the tree over at the Rockefeller Center. I imagine it is something like that. . .

6. phaedruscj says

It is common practice here for the sellers of fresh cut trees to pull them through a netting contraption that binds the tree some what tighter than it would other wise. Thi makes the tree easier to handle and to secure to the top of vehicles etc. It seems this netting would accomplish the same purpose as your  sheet. Since the netting is plastic it is probably not allowed in California though.

heres a link I found on google for one  http://www.kelcomaine.com/rednet.htm They call it a baler.

This isn’t intended to question your status as a genius just don’t spend a lot of time trying to patent your idea.

Thanks for the greeat blog!