Gender fantasies in Obama’s America

Back in the late 1980s, Disney began airing commercials that spawned a catch-phrase.  After a Super Bowl or other major sports event, someone would ask the champion what his plans were and he’d holler out “I’m going to go to Disney World [or Disneyland]!”

I thought of that commercial when I heard about Bradley Manning’s announcement now that he’s been convicted.

“So, Bradley, you’ve just been sent to prison for 39 years! What are you going to do next?”

As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning, I am a female.”

No, Bradley, you are not a female. When you have died and your skeleton and DNA are all that remains, science will identify you as a man. What you are is deeply confused.  Just as those athletes are going to Disneyland, you’ve just announced that you’re retreating to your own private fantasy world.  The only difference is that you’re going to get the taxpayer to pay for your vacation from reality.

I’ve been hammering at this point for a long time — namely, that biology is not some imaginary construct. It’s real and cannot be wished away. Yet that is precisely what our Progressive culture is trying to do. Kevin D. Williamson has absolutely the best analysis I’ve ever seen of the Leftist belief that “wishing can make it so” when it comes to “gender identity”:

We have created a rhetoric of “gender identity” that is disconnected from biological sexual fact, and we have done so largely in the service of enabling the sexual mutilation of physically healthy men and women (significantly more men) by medical authorities who should be barred by professional convention if not by conscience from the removal of healthy organs (and limbs, more on that later), an act that by any reasonable standard ought to be considered mutilation rather than therapy. This is not to discount the feelings of people who suffer from gender-identity disorders — to the contrary, those feelings must be taken into account in determining courses of treatment for people who have severe personality disorders. But those subjective experiences do not render inconsequential the biological facts: A man who believes he is a woman trapped in a man’s body, no matter the intensity of his feeling, is no such thing. The duty of the medical profession is not to encourage and enable delusions, but to help those who suffer from them to cope with them. It is worth noting here that as a matter of law and a matter of social expectation, the fiction of sex change is treated as the paramount good: We are not expected to treat those who have undergone the procedure as men who have taken surgical and hormonal steps to impersonate women (or vice versa) but as people who have literally changed sex, which they have not — no more than Dennis Avner, the famous “Stalking Cat” who attempted to physically transform himself into a tiger, changed species.

Please note that Williamson is not hostile to people who feel a disconnect between brain and body.  Instead, he is hostile to a society that rejects reality wholesale in an effort to make a very small minority of people comfortable.  (If you’re thinking “The Emperor’s New Clothes” here, you’re on the right track.)  The other thing you should note is that many people who undergo gender identity, despite achieving their dream of looking like a person of the opposite sex, are still unhappy.  Their discomfort with their old body was a symptom of some deeper psychological disturbance, and a little slice and dice on the operating table (not to mention dangerous hormone treatments) won’t change that more profound despair.

This government-mandated societal delusion is costly.  The intangible cost is that it creates massive cognitive dissonance in an up-and-coming generation that is being trained to deny reality.  It’s also costly because insurance companies are pressured to pay for gender delusion treatments.  Heck, even prisons are now paying.  This means that you, the taxpayer, will pay for “Ms.” Manning to get special “gender re-assignment” treatment in prison.  All of which caused a wonderfully snarky friend of mine to send me an email with his own plea for “re-assignment”:  “If the gov’t is required to pay for prisoner’s trans-gender therapies, which I understand cost an average of $20,000, then they are also required to pay for my trans-ethnic reassignment therapy too. Since I identify as Polynesian, I will need money for my tanning therapy, hair treatments, and for me to learn a Polynesian language.”

Following my friend’s quite reasonable take on the government’s insistence that everyone must pay so that we’re free to be whatever we want (free because someone else will pay if we claim victim status), I’m pretty darn sure that I’m Claudia Schiffer trapped in a short, only moderately-attractive, middle-aged woman’s body.  Put another way, my real identity is super model, not soccer mom.  This disconnect (or, to use a fancy term, body dysmorphia) causes me profound mental anguish.  I’m subject to age-ism and look-ism inconsistent with my true identity, and daily battle the glances of myself that the mirror reveals.  I have a right to be whole.  I recognize that I’ll always be short, but I think it will take only about $100,000 in plastic surgery (facelift, cheek implants, jaw implants, hair weaves, breast implants, butt implants, a little bit of liposuction, colored contact lenses, wardrobe consultations, etc) in order for me to look as my mental self-image tells me I should look:

Claudia_Schiffer_11

Natan Sharansky, the former Russian dissident and current Israeli citizen, wrote about one of the hallmarks of a totalitarian society: its mandate (enforced with fines, imprisonment, and even death) that all citizens accept government statements of fact as true even when the citizens’ own senses prove absolutely that the government’s imposed reality are false.  People cease to believe in their government, which is manifestly lying to them; they become cynical; and, eventually, they become desperate to end the cognitive dissonance that makes it impossible for them to deal with the real problems and issues they face in their lives.  At that point, of course, drink, drugs, and revolution all become reasonable options.

Comments

1. jj says

While I absolutely agree with you, I’m still forced to acknowledge that there’s something up with this Manning kid.  He may not be a girl, but he’s something – he’s smaller than you are!  How did he get into anybody’s army?  (I was unaware the Munchkins had an army!)  Have you looked at some of the coverage of this… guy… going in and out of court?  If anybody else in the hall or the court room is standing up, you just don’t see him.  One of these days one of those people escorting him is just going to put him in his pocket, and get him in and out that way.  He may not be a girl, but it’s hard to see him as “army strong,” either.  Or maybe our army’s in a lot more trouble than we want to admit.

2. Wolf Howling says

A super model trapped in the body of a soccer mom, eh?  Your take on it gave me the first really good laugh I have had in quite some time.  And the confluence of drink and revolution is as old as our nation itself, really.  Ask Sam Adams or our nation’s biggest whiskey producer at the time, George W.

JJ:  I know more than one Army Ranger below 5’6″.  Trust me when I say that height has no bearing on toughness.  Actually, now that I think back on it, one of those Rangers was a 5’6″ Captain named William Kidd.  Look at him and you’d swear that he looked like the prototypical pirate.  It turned out that he in fact was a descendant of Cpt. Kidd.  And don’t get me started on Napoleon.

3. biancaneve says

I’ve been saying for a while now that I’m going to start self-identifying as African American in order to avoid being called racist whenever I express a conservative opinion.
    The idea that, because some confused individual announces he’s a woman, the rest of society has to play along with his fiction is ridiculous.  Once again, the vast majority must be inconvenienced in order to placate the minority.  This is most insidious when it comes to public restrooms.  If some people had their way, any time some high school joker decides he’s a girl, he’s entitled to use the girls’ bathroom and the real girls just have to put up with it.  His feelings are more important than their concerns for privacy and safety.  More of the left-wing war on women.

4. jj says

Wolf: a good big man will beat a good small man every single time.  The military figured that out a long time ago, I suspect.  Forgive me for skepticism, but I’m surrounded by NAS Whidbey Island, Naval Base Kitsap, Subase (yes, it’s one word) Bangor, Indian Island Naval Magazine, Fort Lewis, McChord AFB (together they’re JBLM), USCG Air Station Port Angeles, CG Group Port Angeles, Group Seattle – I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody male in uniform in any branch 5’6″ or smaller.  Not even pilots.  Never.  And the Spec Op boys hiding in the woods in Bangor, gearing up to go out in the converted Ohio boats are not small.  True, there is no height requirement for any of these guys, but I’ve never seen one anywhere near 5’6″.  (No height requirement for SEALs, for example – but the average is 5″11 these days.)

In that courtroom Manning looks like a little kid who wandered in off the street.

The real question is how on earth a head case  like Bradley Manning (or Snowdon) ever got a top security clearance. What  a joke.
    Btw – re. big men and small men, JJ – I’d say that, one on one, the Vietnamese proved themselves to be quite the capable fighters, despite their lack of hardware and other resources. WWII hero Audie Murphy was only 5-ft, 5-inches, which almost disqualified him for the army.

Re. Book – both Hammer and I can attest to the fact that that really is Book’s picture up there. She’s just jerking your chains, folks.

6. shirleyelizabeth says

A line I hear on tv shows lately, in defense of people pretending to be what they’re not, is “it’s his/her truth,” and should be accepted on that grace. Those who control the language…

7. Call me Lennie says

“As I transition into the next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me.  I am the captain and owner of a whaling ship who is bent on a suicidal, obsessive, vengeance-fueled quest to kill a immense white sperm whale.  I am Call me Ahab.”

I’m positive this message qualifies me for “peg leg re-assignment” therapy.  Can’t be my “true self” if I’m walking about on the two healthy legs I was born with.  How could I ever know the true pathology underlying my obsession unless every step I take on my right leg causes me agonizing pain

Danny is telling the truth about Book. Typically, whenever Danny and I have dinner with Book, we try to go to a nautically themed restaurant theme so that we can request the maitre’d to lash us to a mast to keep us from getting at her.

9. Libby says

What’s so alarming is that almost immediately after DADT ended the LGBT crowd started agitating for transgenders in the military (because they’re never, ever satisfied – they just keep pushing). Not only would this invite more Manning-like headcases that would put their fellow servicemen at risk, but could do serious damage to troop morale. I have no faith that the current administration would see the folly of such a move.
    Ace over at AOSHQ has the best take on what’s really going on with the “Call me Chelsea” gambit: “This is a power-trip thing. If you can compel people to say things which aren’t true, why, then you have full power over them, don’t you?”
    I’ll call him Bradley Manning, or the Traitor Formerly Known as Bradley Manning.

**Funny you mentioned “I’m going to Disneyland” since Disneyland is also used as slang for prison.

10. Spartacus says

Call me old-fashioned, but I don’t think it’s appropriate for the Mistress of the Blog to be posting pictures of herself in undies.  Maybe it’s just a cultural difference between California and the US, but it just doesn’t seem right.

Many years ago I read a book about cases of exorcism in the Catholic Church.  The author was a priest and was authorized to perform exorcisms himself (which are very restricted).  One of the cases was a man who decided he was a woman and went through a sex change.  However, much as Book mentioned, that didn’t satisfy him; he wasn’t happy.  I don’t remember how the exorcism came about, but afterwards, he realized he truly was a man.  He discontinued hormone treatment, went back to his birth name, but was unable to reverse the extensive surgical alterations.
    As I recall, he accepted his fate as just punishment from God.  I often wonder how many other “transgendered” adults realize they made a mistake but are too cowardly to admit it?  Or how many are like the “man” who had a baby–too chicken to make the changes permanent?  (Now that I think about it, I wonder what happened to that couple and “their” child?  Did having a baby, with the accompanying hormonal merry-go-round, change “his” sense of gender identity?)

12. Libby says

March Hare – The whole “pregnant man” thing really made me angry, not only because it was just so sick (wanting to be a man while bearing children) but that the media  fully endorsed it by giving him/her sympathetic interviews and positive coverage. After having three children, Thomas Beatie tried unsuccessfully to divorce his/her wife. Those poor children.

Spartacus, that’s actually a snapshot that Hammer or I (fuzzy memory) took of her as she was waiting for us at the restaurant. Hammer and I dressed more appropriately, however…no high heels for us. Flip-flops.

14. Spartacus says

She goes out to dinner dressed like that?!?  Oh, this is not good.

Authentic Japanese restaurant?  All the seating seems to be at floor level…

15. Caped Crusader says

Sometimes I think it can’t get any crazier, but it always does! I think the Biblical injunction of 70 years as the span of life is because things change so much over that span of time, it is to preserve mental health. Most simply could not adapt to changes over a longer time span. Methusaleh was one strong minded dude to hold up for 900 years.

Anyone care to paint a scenario of life of what life will be like in 70 more years during the Presidency of Bill Clinton ll, former President Chelsea Clinton’s oldest son; and what groups will have special tolerance, privileges, and standing in society?

16. Caped Crusader says

biancaneve

An idea I’ve advanced for a while now. Since, according to present day science, we are all ancestors of “Eve” from the Rift Valley (and Gospel Spreader Al Gore assures us “science” is settled and never wrong) we are African Americans. We can then use the N word with impunity, and feel loved by Chris Matthews.

Danny and I have worked out some signature patter with Book when we meet her for dinner.

Danny: “Whoa, did Heaven just lose an angel?”

Me: “Hubba, hubba.”

Charles Martel and Danny:

Youse guys!  You’re just too much.  Now I’m going to have to spill the beans about what dashing cavaliers you are — although I suspect everyone’s already figured that out from the brilliance and moral dynamism that radiates from every comment you make or post you write.

Let’s just say, folks (and especially ladies), that they are as dashing in person as they are on paper.  Kind of like this, except without the pesky actor or outlaw problems.

19. Ron19 says

Since my biological children are white-Korean, I want to become black-Korean.

That is a minority oppressed from so many sides you just wouldn’t believe.

Plus, I’ll get to shoot at rioters.

20. Ron19 says

I can believe 7 and 10:

The picture of the real you, above, is just as pretty as the one of your mother a few days ago, who looks like the painting you use for your Bookworm portrait.

21. Ron19 says

Last time I started dating again, I got taken in by some apparently good Catholic women I met at a Church organization who were still married but had stopped wearing their wedding ring several years earlier.

If I ever start dating again, in light of this article and comments, our first date will be to a DNA testing lab!

P.S.  I also met a number of good Catholic actual widows.

Society is truly, irredeemably, corrupt and decadent.

Yet humans are too weak to survive without their “group”. This requires either a complete rethinking of human conditioning, or just burning it all day and using the ashes for new growth.

I am not a fan of Bradley Manning, and like you Bookworm, I am a fairly alienated Bay Area resident. Well, till recently, but I am returning.  I’m also a classic liberal, sometimes considered a “conservative” but more on the libertarian spectrum.  At any rate, I am also a man, who went through the process of changing sex.  In my case, from female to male — I was born biologically female and did all the medical procedures to live my life as a man, including changing my biology.  It is not perfect, and in some sense, certainly I will never be a “real” man, and that means a biologically born male person. I am not deluded, I know exactly who I am…  However, because of testosterone and surgery, my body is mostly pretty indistinguishable from someone born male and of course, for me — the shoe fits.  I am much happier now and am so glad that I did this.  I even changed my political ideas over time, from far left to less far left to right.  Now, that was not part of my “sex change” but certainly my own frustrations with the feminism I had been aligned with were part of the issue.  I found through my change that there are biological differences between the sexes, some are not so obvious.  I mean, my perceptions, sex drive, sense of smell – many things changed.  Testosterone helped me to understand biological maleness and also, femaleness as never before.  I got a lot of flack from some feminists, though not all, for talking and writing about this.  Any way, I am just writing to say that actually, not all of us are far left lunatics, although certainly most of us are at least Democrats. I am not, not any longer!  This change, from left to right, was probably more difficult than the change from female to male, believe it or not. I am still dealing with the fall out and not all of my friends even know.  Yes, the LGBT world is pretty hostile to the right, but you know, the reason is that they perceive, often correctly, that they will be shunned or misunderstood by those on the right.  What may surprise you is that many radical feminists are also very anti-transsexual and we have our battles with them as well.  So, we have both sides to deal with…. we are accused of being reactionary by the far left, or certain factions of the far left (radical feminists and some others) and we are accused of well, all of the sorts of things I see in the comments – by people who are on the right.  In Cuba, trans people were prosecuted, at least till relatively recently, and put in prison.  In many communist countries LGBT people were prosecuted, but I digress…

For me, and for most of us, the government, had nothing to do with our transition.  Few insurance companies cover this, and no government agency, until recently – covered anything other than treatment once you got it. I mean, if you were on hormones, you could get them covered, but you had to get on them – on your own dime.  I did that.  The government was not backing me, or telling me what to do!  I pretty much had to do this, 24 years ago, all on my own.  Things are easier now, but certainly the government as a rule is not pushing transsexual medical procedures.

I am against what Manning did, and I am frankly, VERY embarrassed that Manning is claiming to be transsexual.  I mean, I can well believe it, but I do not in any way, want to be associated with this person or what this person did.  I am refraining from pronouns here, I will wait and see if this “sticks” and if Manning earns the right to “she” since well, Manning is only beginning.  From what I know, this individual is fairly unstable any way?  I don’t even necessarily trust that they are trans, although certainly they may be.   But for folks like me, for some of us, who disapprove of Manning and what they did – well, we are simply embarrassed by the whole thing and wish Manning would just disappear into the brig and go away.
    I do enjoy your blog from time to time, and I know how hard it is to be a conservative in the Bay Area.  That’s one of the reasons I started reading you!  At any rate, please keep in mind, that some of the people who undergo this intense process are not lefties, and a lot of us are just “normal” people or relatively, trying to live our lives as best we can.   You did say above, that you were not condemning necessarily all those who feel a real disconnect between mind and body, thank you for that nod, and please keep in mind, some of us  – are even your readers!

• says

Liberty Wolf: Thank you for your thoughtful comment. As you know, I’m quite sympathetic to people whose internal sense of self is at odds with their internal reality. I think it’s great that, in a free society, they can chose to present an image to the world that’s consistent with their inner eye. I do suspect, though, that your happiness with your transformation comes about because you understand that you have not become a man at a cellular level. Your expectations were in line with your result, which is that you have some male attributes (including medical testosterone) and the appearance of a man, so that you’re happy with your outcome.

My pet peeve is when Leftists try to use the government to force people to pretend, not only that the transformation is cellular, but also that it is someone’s right to demand that everyone enter into this pretense. the moment something becomes a right, the government puts its weight behind it and bullies people. It’s especially problematic when the government creates an entirely new right that crashes headlong into an explicitly stated Constitutional right, such as the right to freedom of worship.

I’m all in favor of people in a free society learning to rub along and to tolerate other people’s differences and eccentricities. That makes for a healthy, dynamic, diversified society. Having government bully people to accept this or do that, is the antithesis of freedom.

As for your embarrassment about Manning, I totally get that. I have the same feeling when famous Jews do bad things. Bernie Madoff behaved very un-Jewishly when he defrauded thousands of people out of their money. Nevertheless, he has suddenly become a very bad, yet well-known, person associated with Judaism.

Lastly, Hurrah! for you for coming out as a conservative. You’re correct that, in the Bay Area, that’s an infinitely more courageous act than coming out as a member of the LGBTQ community. I’m eschewing labels, but anyone with half a brain has figured out from my “real me” Facebook posts that my sympathies are more conservative than Progressive.

And, thank you Bookworm for your reply!

I see many places of agreement of course.  I am thankful to live in a free country with respect for individual liberty and rights where people like myself can make choices to live our lives as we see fit, and to find out deepest vision of ourselves and live that out as we are able.  I also think religious liberty is very important and certainly government coercion is most often a terrible thing.  You also are right that while I am very happy with my physical transformation, which is also social, legal and well, spiritual — I also understand that there are limitations and I am able to live within those seeming contradictions and paradoxes without too much internal strife.  It certainly makes for an interesting life!
    Of course, I had to go and make it even more “interesting” by going through another transformation, this time in mid-life, of political values and ideas.  For me, it really was about liberty.  But this does put me at odds with most people I know.  Today, I lost a friend because she disagreed with me about the whole Trayvon Martin debacle and thought that I was a “racist” because I thought George Zimmerman was indeed innocent and acted out of self defense.  It is still hard for me to believe how easily some left wing people can dump their friends and label them like that.  I have lost around 7 or 8 “good friends” and maybe three or four close ones, and then – a much larger group of acquaintances.   I changed my political ideas officially over time from around 2008 when I just could not vote for Obama to 2010 when I actually registered as a Republican.  Not everyone even knows that, but like you, if they really look around my FB page, they get the idea.  I am also an author and poet, and achieved some recognition on the far left, in my younger years, and so it is not easy to disentangle myself.  I moved to Denver two years ago and got invited to anarchist events!  Any way, I am getting stronger, you know how it goes. And, yes I love the Bay Area, I lived in SF over 34 years, but I am uncertain I can make a go of it when I return (I have been away for a couple of years but always planning to return) because of the far leftism that is just everywhere, it is atmospheric.  But, I know the city is also changing and there are libertarians in the mix, there are all those startups!  And, so I will be back.

Anyway, I will keep reading and thank you for this blog and for having the guts to think for yourself out there in what is otherwise paradise – Marin.

Liberty Wolf, you said:

Well, what you’ve said about Manning was the intent of my dismissive comments above.  We learned a *lot* about Manning over the last year – a lot of people dug deeply – and issues of sexual identity dysfunction never appeared.  If he’d been approaching this issue seriously, I’m reasonably sure it would have been found out by someone.   Now, suddenly, we find out he wants to change his sexual identity.  You questioned whether he’s stable, and I agree.  That person appears to be a psychological mess.

From your posts, it appears you approached it with all appropriate seriousness, care, concern and caution.  Looks to me like  you’re on a right road for yourself.  Good luck!

Thank you Mike Devx for your good wishes!
    Manning is someone who should never ever have been allowed to get near vital info.  I do think that you are right as to your assessment of Manning, this person is not entirely stable.  Time will tell about the gender issues.  I had heard rumors about this gender issue through the grapevine, so some people were aware of it — but I am still suspicious as to Manning’s stability and fitness to even make a decision like this and why now?  Lastly, I do think it is a “side” issue and at this point, Manning just needs to do time as sentenced.

Considering that Manning was manifestly a deeply unhappy person with lots of issues, why in the heck was he near sensitive information?  Clearly he was vetted by the same people who vetted Edward Snowden.

It’s all well and good to talk about the culprits, but the bigger problem is a government that’s incapable of taking the necessary steps to protect its own secrets.  Manning and Snowden are symptoms, not causes, when it comes to leaked government intelligence.

1. Watcher’s Council nominations…

The Political Commentator – Barack Obama: Foreign policy eunuch! The Noisy Room – A Shiny New War: At Home and Abroad Liberty’s Spirit – It’s September, so Its time to talk about schools failing boys…yet again Joshuapundit-Syria-Ossit…

2. Watcher’s Council winners…

*First place with 5 1/3 votes! Joshuapundit –Syria-Ossity Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – The Right Planet – The Syrian Quagmire: The Dangers of U.S. Involvement Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – The Noisy Room- A……

3. Watcher’s Council Results…

Here are this week’s full results:Council Winners*First place with 5 1/3 votes! Joshuapundit –Syria-Ossity Second place *t* with 2 2/3 votes – The Right Planet  – The Syrian Quagmire: The Dangers of U.S. Involvement Second place  *t* with 2 2…