Appropriate or inappropriate? Public school sends out Kaiser Obamacare education flyer

The principal at the kids’ public high school routinely sends out emails notifying parents about upcoming events, exposures to diseases such as whooping cough, sports victories, etc.  Today’s email, in addition to scheduling and sports information, contained this snippet:

Lastly, Kaiser Permanente has asked our help in spreading the word about a free workshop open to the community about the Affordable Health Care Act and options available for health care coverage.  The workshops will be held this Saturday, December 7, in San Rafael and Petaluma. See the attachment for more information.

Here’s the flyer:

Kaiser Obamacare flyer

Appropriate or inappropriate?

Comments

Inappropriate. Kaiser is totally in bed with Obamacare, and its policy statements and newsletters beat the drum constantly for the ACA.

I know this because I contribute articles to a medical website that receives regular updates from Kaiser, and the bias toward Obamacare is deep and blatant. Also, as a Kaiser member, I am on their member survey panel where I often take Kaiser to task for pretending to be objective about Obamacare when it’s really one of the debacle’s loudest cheerleaders.

It is not up the schools to concern or involve themselves in any way with adults’ healthcare choices.

2. Robert Arvanitis says

Charles is entirely too tactful and reticent.
    This is a violation of federal law on domestic propaganda, just like the one which forbids the Voice of America from broadcasting within the US.  Far too subject to abuse.
    We omit to speak of the paid trolls known as “navigators,” who take the taxpayers’ dollar but do Obama’s bidding.
    Give me a bit of time and I will show violations of “Posse Comitatus” (1878) as well…

That was my thinking, guys, but I worried that I was being reflexively hostile.  Of course, since this is Marin, I’m in the 25% that cares about violating federal law when a Democrat initiative is at issue.  Charles Martel and I are fighting a valiant, but vain, rearguard action here.

I already mentioned Kaiser or Kaiser Permanente, did I not awhile ago?

And here the topic comes up again… coincidence right?

My pattern recognition protocols are getting scarily accurate.

There’s no such thing as being reflexively hostile or suspicious of evil, Book. Once you figure out your instincts, gut, intuition, it becomes easier to trust in the judgement of something never designed to be susceptible to Leftist propaganda.

5. Matt_SE says

I was initially tempted to say it was OK. But the events being mentioned are held at medical facilities, not schools.
    So Kaiser is asking schools to spread the word about events that don’t involve education or the education establishment, not even tangentially. What’s next? The schools will start sending home advertisements for local restaurants?

6. shirleyelizabeth says

Restaurants and other businesses can buy advertising space on club flyers, sports & arts performance programs, and probably newsletters. Schools also set up fundraisers with local companies.

My question with this plug from the principal is, is this similar to saying, “hey, we know of this group that will be around this weekend to help people understand weird parts of the tax code and help you file,” or is it different?

7. Robert Arvanitis says

shirleyelizabeth – A few questions:
    1.  Should a school (or other public institution) accept paid ads from commercial enterprises?
    2. Should it accept paid ads from groups with a mission — Salvation Army, Boy Scouts, Moveon.org, KKK…?
    3. Should it accept paid ads for overtly political purposes?
    4. Should any of (1), (2), or (3) get free advertising, much less explicit endorsement?