Tuesday tidbits

Victorian posy of pansiesWhen I lived in England, though I neither smoked nor drank, I enjoyed hanging out in pubs.  They were congenial places where one could get a good game of darts (good for me, especially, because of that not-drinking bit).  Apparently pubs aren’t that much fun anymore, and the Brits can thank Labor for that.  Frankly, there are a lot of things that the Brits can “thank” Labour for, including the fact that the most popular boy’s name in England is Mohamed — and Mohameds aren’t known for hanging out in pubs making friends with the locals.

***

I was speaking with a neighbor today about Common Core.  It’s so bad in Marin that, between the bullying (yes, peaceful Marin middle schoolers, especially those from the most liberal enclaves, are fearful bullies) and the curriculum disaster, she’s now home schooling her middle schooler.  I know she wouldn’t read what Ace wrote about the disaster that is Common Core, because she still thinks she’s a liberal, but she’d certainly agree with him if I could get her to read it.

***

If you’re wondering what happens as Leftists make ever greater inroads into every facet of American culture, you need look no further than this story telling the terrible fate of a journalist who dared to point out that a transgender ex-man, current sort-of woman was also a liar.

***

When I was a young lawyer, a study came out about the fact that plaintiffs in mass disasters (such as a bus or plane crash) had different outcomes depending upon the speed with which they settled (or didn’t settle).  Those who settled immediately got less money, but recovered quickly and got on with their lives.  Those who insisted on going to trial got more money, but recovered slowly and badly, and couldn’t get on with their lives.  These results were the same regardless of the relative severity of their injuries.  That is, a severely injured person who settled quickly would still do better than a less injured person who insisted on going to trial.  I thought of this study when I read about the perpetual victim status of the so-called Palestinian refugees who have been refusing to settle since 1948, and who live in abysmal conditions for that reason.

***

And speaking of the perpetual Palestinian victims, the problem really isn’t Israel; it’s the Arabs (and Muslims).  Their fanatic antisemitism is a symptom of deeper dysfunctions and an excuse for refusing to confront them.

***

When I took First Aid classes, I was told never to use a tourniquet.  Two recent wars have now taught us that this rule should only apply when there will be a long period between on-the-scene treatment and actual treatment.  Otherwise, why yes, tourniquets are a good thing.

***

Let’s see:  Wendy Davis lies (although it’s sexist to point that out); Wendy Davis doesn’t understand the First Amendment and has a low threshold for criticism; and Wendy Davis thinks that she, whose only “hardship” was a young marriage and early divorce, understands suffering in a way that her Republican opponent doesn’t.  Or, as she says, he can’t speak about her lying and paranoia because he “hasn’t walked a day in my shoes.”  She’s right too.  Greg Abbott hasn’t walked a day in anybody’s shoes — because he’s a paraplegic.  Neo-neocon has more, much more, on what this says about Davis and modern feminism.

***

Keith Koffler nails everything that’s wrong with the super-secret, star-studded, self-indulgent birthday party that Moochelle Obama threw for herself.  When I turned 50, I bought myself some chocolate Haagen Daaz and a good book, got extra kisses from my kids, and took my Mom out to lunch.  It was a good day.

***

Finally, I want to introduce you to a website that you’ll like:  Election Projection, which is Scott Elliot’s baby.  He does a great job of analyzing probable election outcomes and, as he can prove, predicts them with remarkable accuracy.

Comments

1. Libby says

There’s something especially repellant about women like Davis who use their own motherhood to promote abortion. Reminds me of Chelsea Clinton endorsing abortion by lamenting that her grandmother would have gotten one if only had it been legal in her day.
    *****
    I had a friend whose son was killed with several others in a brutal robbery. One smart decision she and her husband made (other than never talking to the press) was to not link their emotional well-being to the capture and conviction of the killer (especially since it took 3 yrs to figure out who did it). Seems many times we see a relative in interviews saying something like, “Now that [the perpetrator] is in jail I can begin to heal.” Wonder if the opting to go to trial is that same mentality – I can’t heal until X happens, when X is something that is not in their control and may take years.

2. Michael Adams says

The soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have also discovered the many uses of tampons, stuck into bullet wounds, with the number stuck-in written beside the entry wound. (Lipstick works great for that.)

Sometimes, when medical malpractice is so apparent it seems rather artificial not to mention it, I go ahead and tell friends and families that their grieving process moves better for them, if they do not sue.  Also, I tell it as I have said it here.  Healing is faster without a lawsuit.  I see that there can be other factors that I do not need to know, but the fact of grieving, moving on faster, I share with any who will listen.  People think a lawsuit will help them to settle matters in their minds, but I tell them that the grieving is protracted in the anger phase, and, if there is no strong financial reason, do not wade into that swamp.

Their lawyers, if they are honest, will tell them their chances of successful recovery, but the emotional part, I can supply.

“When I took First Aid classes, I was told never to use a tourniquet.”

Why? So that the flesh won’t go necrotic?

Loosen the tourniquet then. Is he bleeding out? Then triage him out first, otherwise people have done a bad job of triage and the guy would die from a number of complicating factors.

It’s much easier to recover mental and physical health if you aren’t around lawyers out for 90% of the suit damage goodies or judges. Negative energy tends to suck out your life force. Remember that.

Rules are stupid as hell if you don’t know why it is. Obey authority? Yea sure, that makes sense. To a bunch of zombies and stormtroopers. Individual judgment needs information. Above all else.

5. Matt_SE says

Never was a religion so aptly named: Islam, which means “submission.”
    The usual dodge is to say that they mean “submission to God,” but where is God on earth? We don’t see his face overtly. He is represented by the faithful, which is to say, He is represented by man.
    So if one is to submit to God, he ends up submitting to man.
    THAT is the nature of Islam. Totalitarianism. THAT is the root of the problem in the middle east.

• says

Islam doesn’t recognize free will amongst believers. Christians are commanded by the Christian God to recognize the humanity of the sinner and to accept free will as a inborn ability. It is said even Lucifier must respect free will in acquiring souls for his army of Hell.

Given that Islam rejects free will or salvation of Jesus Christ, they need shackles and other temporal mechanics to control the livestock of believers. Women must be veiled least the animal like males attack them. Those who reject or resist Islam, must be punished and brought back to the fold, as loose sheep and cattle are chased down. Can’t have them loose now.

The Left is also a slave farming, tax farming, livestock keeping Empire of Evil. So they share many qualities with Islamic Jihad and seem to prefer them over Christians, whom the Left call “bigots” and “intolerant”.

A couple of quick notes: Superglue for First Aid: always keep some in your First Aid box.
    Second note, regarding “Election Projection” – I just heard today, from a savvy political commentator, that Illinois’s aptly named Senator Dick Durbin’s poll fundamentals show that he is very vulnerable, thanks to Obamacare. If deep, deep blue Illinois is working toward a rejection of this loathsome individual, then there is something very mighty afoot in this land. I can always hope.

7. lee says

Close some wounds. They use it in surgery now for certain types of closures. Except theirs is a sterile version from a pharmaceutical company and costs a lot more money. Superglue is probably clean enough to get one through an emergency–and a lot cheaper than the medical stuff you can buy at the drug store!

Glad to see I wasn’t the only one who celebrated their 50th in a low-key manner. The half-century mark is a Big Deal, as it’s unlikely you’ll get to see 100. I spent the year prior considering various vacations, from cruising the Inside Passage to traveling to the Antipodes. I ended up going to North Carolina to spend time with my mother, as I was the first of her children to reach 50, and thought she might like to share in the day. It was a good idea. She was thrilled, and my youngest sister treated us to one of the nicest restaurants in town. Travel destinations aren’t going anywhere, and memories with family are far more valuable.

• says

bkivey:  I only get depressed when I think about birthdays.  Better to get them over with as quickly as possible and life according to the daily needs and my aspirations, rather than a number.