Thursday afternoon round-up (and Open Thread)

Victorian posy of pansiesThere are a lot of things I miss about being young.  Today, I miss the ability to sleep even if the house if falling down around me.  I can’t do that anymore.  I somehow lost the sleeping knack when I had babies and I’ve never gotten it back.  Sleep seems incredibly distant lately.  Between my knee and my shoulder, both of which refuse to quiet down at night, I’m feeling grumpy and disconnected today.  This will therefore be a short round-up.

Jamie Glasov looks at Danielle Dimacali’s insane (a word I use in its literal sense) meltdown when UCLA just barely rejected the BDS movement.  He wonders if any of the atrocities committed against Jews because they are Jews would have moved her too.  It’s powerful and painful stuff, and makes quite clear just  how deranged the anti-Israel movement really is.

***

Peter Wehner has a good point about politics: those of us who are most deeply committed are often the worst strategists because we have no perspective about what moves the ordinary American voter. This isn’t a Left/Right thing; it’s a “connecting to voters” thing. Now that I’ve written the preceding sentence, I can see that Obama won — twice — because he and his side had a better sense of which “voter buttons” to push. It helps, of course, that Democrats weren’t constrained by such old-fashioned notions as truth and decency, but the fact remains that McCain and Romney never connected with voters. I can’t help believe that,despite the despicable stuff coming from the Democrats, Reagan, with his sunny good humor and folksy ability to simplify complex ideas and relate them directly to voters, would have connected easily.

***

My husband and I are watching season two of House of Cards on Netflix. Indeed, we expect to finish the series tonight. I agree with everything Andrew Klavan says about it.

***

Kevin Williamson was adopted, a personal matter he brings up solely because he’s very concerned about a push across America to open previously closed adoptions. Being Kevin Williamson, he makes an excellent case about the right to privacy. Reading his article led me to a different thought. The Left is all about severing family ties, so that the state becomes all-powerful in people’s lives. It’s therefore funny that, in this single area, the state is all about forcing family ties where people don’t want them to exist.

***

VDH has a great one about the Left’s war on science. The Left supported science when it dovetailed with Leftist ideology. Now that this dovetailing has ended (yes, life does begin before birth; no, California’s devastating drought has more to do with overpopulation and environmentalist kibosh’s on new reservoirs than it does with global warming), the Left has become defiantly anti-science — but, being the Left, it masks this defiance under the mantle of science. Always remember, Leftists are Humpty-Dumpty: they determine what words mean.

***

And finally, Keith Koffler writes the scathing post Obama deserves for planning his third luxury vacation in as many months — a plane that Obama fears will be derailed because of that pesky Putin.  In 1916, Woodrow Wilson’s campaign was “He kept us out of war.”  If Obama in the next few days manages to lay to rest America’s involvement in Ukraine, his personal motto will be “I kept us out of war so that I could go on vacation.”

Comments

1. JKB says

A year or so ago, I started taking Tumeric on occasion for its anti-inflammatory properties.  A side effect I noticed after having a period os unrestful sleep was that when I took the Tumeric I found I awoke feeling rested.   There was no drowsiness, prolonging of sleep, or other direct effect, just more restful sleep.

Long ago, I read a book on mental development.  The author made the point that to reach people in elections the politicians had to appeal to the 5-year old mind.  If memory serves, the 5-yr old mind is more black and white, less interested in the complexity.  The democrats’ message is more aligned with the childish mind of satisfying want and not considering the future.  I believe Reagan’s appeal to the 5-yr old mind was via being hopeful for America, believing in the future.

The message to push is hope, a future, let the 5 yr old mind feel comfortable with venturing into the world.

• JKB says

BTW, I’d say trying to discuss debt, spending and other financial matters in complex accountant language as Romney and McCain did wasn’t going to make the sale.

I wouldn’t test for knowledge. I would test for the faculty of independent judgment, from which with its absence there can be no knowledge or IQ.

Either a person has independent free will or they don’t.

3. Libby says

Williamson’s post is interesting. My husband was adopted and had little interest in tracking down his biological parents until we started a family. He was fortunate in that his bio mom initiated her search for him within a month of his & they found each other through a web bulletin board hosted by the adoption agency. Despite the initial awkwardness, they and our families have forged close relationships. On the other hand, the bio dad behaved as if my husband were going to blackmail him, so he’s only had the one phone conversation to obtain medical info and that’s it.

My cousins were also adopted. Through pure coincidence my mother discovered (when my younger cousin was around 30 yrs old) that my aunt’s NJ adoption agency had procured its babies from women’s prisons where the pregnant inmate had a long sentence and no other family to take the baby. It explained a lot about my older cousin, who had likely been going through some sort of substance withdrawal when they first brought him home, and who struggled with substance abuse through a good part of his short life. So sad.

Connecting with your bio parents/your child given up for adoption is truly like opening Pandora’s Box – you have no idea what the other person’s motives are and you can’t undo (or un-know) it once you’ve made the connection. The Left seems intent on destroying what good can come out of adoptions, whether its un-sealing medical records or making mixed race adoptions difficult. Is it cynical to think they may be doing this to make it less attractive than abortion?

• says

Of course they are ensuring the monopoly of abortion for planning parenthood. What do you think Margaret Sanger founded Planned Parenthood for, to allow genetically inferior black Democrats to have more children in families? Oh no.

4. lee says

I am not entirely sure those of us who think of ourselves as “former liberals” have changed so much as the Democrats and the Left have. Or at least, the ideals that made us think we were liberal, we still have, and the liberals sho claimed to have them fifteen years ago, no longer do.

I was reading FIRE’s statement about due process, and I agree totally with it. This is something I have believed since I understood what “due process” was some thirty years ago. Today’s LEFT are the ones behind the “Dear Colleague” letter abrogating students due process.

As much as it pained me, a million years ago, that some white supremecist or neo-nazi group wanted to march through Skokie, I beleived (and still do) in Free Speech and the First Amendment, and that to me mattered more. I understood that stifling speech you find abhorent can be turned around and done to you.

We reference “Harrison Bergeron”–which was written by a very liberal writer, and which I read thirty odd years ago, and saw it as a warning of what could happen.

We still care about free speech, freedom of association, freedom from Big Brother–things that I thought in my youth made me, uh, “liberal.”

BTW, Lynne Stewart is still not dead.

5. shirleyelizabeth says

I haven’t seen House of Cards yet – really, I’m at the point where there are very few shows I can watch without ending up completely offended by the things they preach about people who think and believe as I do – but my secret weakness right now is Scandal. This one doesn’t typically leave me feeling disgusted and offended, though it does have those moments, but the one thing that gets me is they always have the parties mixed up. What I mean by that is the senator that has a problem with sexting is a Republican. The president that cannot stop cheating on his wife is a “Conservative”. The tax evaders, liars, murderers – all Republican. Oh and the righteous black Senator that has good on his side is a Democrat. Every real life scandal they are trying to recreate on this show was committed by a Democrat.

6. Tara S says

Finally got around to reading that Andrew Klavan article, and I quite liked this paragraph:

“…[T]he central flaw of leftism is not its ceaseless cynicism about business, individualism, religion, or the common man—it’s that its cynicism evaporates into unicorn-and-rainbow stupidity when it comes to government. Insurance companies are too greedy to handle health care, but not the government. Individuals are too reckless to own guns, but not the government. Religion is too corrupt to preach morals, but not the government. The people are too foolish to know their own good, but not our old friend Uncle Government. It’s no wonder some conservatives think leftists are all evil tyrants. It’s easier than believing they could really be such knuckleheads.”

Also, for a good conservative-friendly crime drama, I can vouch for CBS’s Blue Bloods. (Klavan recommended it in an article ages ago, which is why I’m remembering it now.) The family that the story revolves around spend most of their family dinners hashing out various moral/political issues, and conservative viewpoints always (that I can remember) get their fair shake. Plus, the family’s last name is Reagan. COINCIDENCE?… Yeah, probably.

• says

Klavan’s fictional thriller was good quality. So I think he knows most of what’s going on, although he doesn’t seem in tune with the lingo. “Most” people don’t see the Left as evil tyrants, that’s only recently amongst certain sub section of patriots and survivalists.

7. jj says

Can’t do House of Cards – the Brit original with Ian Richardson, who truly can project a cold-eyed reptilian chill, is much better.  (Spacey has to act out that he doesn’t care if someone dies; all Richardson has to do is look at them.)  I was only able to do a couple of episodes of the Spacey ‘Remake for America.’  And, of course, as shirleyelizabeth points out, the roles – or who-did-what-to-whom –  are back-asswards in order to keep the Progressive myth rolling along untroubled by reality.  Which gets (A) old, and (B) annoying.

Reality is, in fact, intruding on them right now.  Don’t know how many of you saw it, but three days ago it hit the news – in a minor way – that House of Cards is threatening the state of Maryland that they’ll pull production out of there (it’s filmed mostly in Baltimore) if their tax-breaks aren’t extended.  All those good liberals and Obama voters, including Spacey, (he has a piece of the back end, too) don’t want to have to pay their taxes like good little boys and girls – that’s for other people.  The peasants, I guess.  If they don’t continue to get the breaks that lured them there in the first place, they’ll leave.  Sounds to me like an almost too good to be believed set-up for a script.