I periodically check out Yahoo’s most popular news to see what AP articles are getting the most play according to the Yahoo picks (which, except for including Ann Coulter, skew liberal). It’s fascinating to see the AP headlines, each of which is snarky, dismissive or critical of Palin in some way, even the “positive” ones:
- Palin provides a “perfect populist pitch” — While it’s true that “populism” can simply mean “appealing to the people,” it also has a more negative connotation: “any of various, often antiestablishment or anti-intellectual political movements or philosophies that offer unorthodox solutions or policies and appeal to the common person rather than according with traditional party or partisan ideologies.” I leave it to you to decide which meaning the AP headline writer had in mind. As it happens, the article is flattering.
- Attacks praise, stretch truth at GOP convention — Translation: the GOP people lied.
- Palin: Iraq war “a task that is from God” — And remember, don’t get so carried away with her rhetoric that you forget that she’s a religious fanatic who will listen to the voices in her head to take us into war.
- Analysis: GOP contradicts self on Palin family — We’re all hypocrites.
- Few minorities on GOP platform — We’re racist pigs, too. (I don’t think the AP et al realize how frustrating it is to conservatives that the Democrats have locked down minorities despite the fact that conservatives firmly believe that minorities would benefit more if they could shake off the liberal shackles of victimhood.)
- Cindy McCain parts with Palin on abortion, sex ed — Watch out: There’s division in the ranks at the highest level. (Or, more optimistically, maybe we conservatives are a Big Tent.)
Perhaps the above headlines might explain the latest Rasmussen poll, which is headlined thusly: Poll: 51 percent say reporters are trying to hurt Palin.
Let me leave you with Abraham Lincoln’s words: “You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.“