Do you remember a president EVER doing something like this? Because I don’t.

Obama frowning

I’ll just quote from the Washington Times story, and then you can tell me if this is unique in your experience — that a President hurls defamatory insults at a hugely popular private organization:

President Obama angrily blamed the defeat Wednesday of his centerpiece gun-control proposal on lies spread by the National Rifle Association, calling it “a pretty shameful day for Washington.”

“The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill,” Mr. Obama said in the White House rose garden about 90 minutes after the vote. “It came down to politics.”

As he spoke, Mr. Obama was surrounded by family members of victims of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting. Also with him was former Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona, wounded in an assassination attempt.

[snip]

The president put the blame squarely on the NRA, which he accused of spreading falsehoods that the legislation would lead to a national gun registry.

“They claimed that it would create some sort of big-brother gun registry, even though it did the  opposite,” Mr. Obama said. “This pattern of spreading untruths … served a purpose. A minority in the U.S. Senate decided it wasn’t worth it. They blocked common-sense gun reforms, even while these families looked on from the Senate gallery. It’s not going to happen because 90 percent of Republicans just voted against that idea.”

Comments

1. Alix says

No, his petulance and vitriol is unprecedented.  But he has done so much that is un-presidential and unprecedented that it just seems to morph into a kind of Obama normal, Obama’s America.  Ugh.

Maybe the bill would have created a gun registry or maybe it wouldn’t. That probably would have been in the future. One provision of the Toomey-Manchin bill would have allowed physicians to add to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System any patient being treated for anxiety, depression, or admitting to gun ownership without the patient’s permission or knowledge.

One thing is clear is that Obama views his enemies to be fellow Americans. Those that would hate and destroy us from outside the U.S. are just misunderstood.
    My very Liberal priest got very upset with me when I explained that Obama was not “my” president. To him, I am the enemy.

4. Michael Adams says

Danny,

There are runaway Anglican churches in your area, too.  I escaped.  You can, too. The ECUSA has lost half its membership in a period when the US population doubled.  Some died, but not all of us. They are so desperate for funds, since so many faithful members have left, that they are selling off nursing homes, summer camps, 815 Broadway, even some solvent churches. Just shake off their dust behind you. I know of one entire parish that walked out, and the ushers put out large door mats for people to wipe their feet as they left church for the last time.

It hurts a bit, at first, leaving old friends behind, but the pain soon passes, and you may just find some of your former fellow-parishioners, who’d quietly disappeared, turning up at your new parish.

Danny– It’s late and we’re recovering from the loss of a pet tonight. So bear with me. You make an unfounded assumption.
    “One thing is clear is that Obama views his enemies to be fellow Americans.”
    I’m not going “birther” on you. But a “fellow” is one (and I’ve not consulted a dictionary, I’m winging it) with whom one share something in common. I’m thinking Murray’s assertion that even the most urbane in the population are only a generation or two removed from the farm or the factory. Each of us has something in common with the American next to us. It’s an ancestry replete with favorite recipes, or a favorite movie or 60s sitcom, or a love of jazz & Mississippi Blues, or a nostalgia for our first trek on the Appalachian Trail. I could go on.
    Out current president shares nothing at all in common with me or you.
    There have been a lot of bad presidents. This is not shocking (!) to the old school BookRoom Crew crew. But they’ve all been fellow Americans– however misguided.
    Obama views his enemies to be Americans.

6. Spartacus says

I had a very similar thought a few days ago when Barack was mocking those who see encroaching tyranny in the ever-tightening control of guns.  To paraphrase, he said something like, “How could there ever be tyranny here?  Tyranny is impossible when the government is elected by the people.”  But when I look at him, I don’t see myself; I see (Me * -1).  With 98% consistency, he acts in direct opposition to everything that I consider to be good, prudent, decent, and holy.  And he seems allergic to the concept of “live and let live.”  So that makes a mockery of the idea of “representative democracy.”  And to be a republic, you really need to have some sort of rule of law, which he’s also against in practice.

But I wouldn’t call him a tyrant.  He’s just a tyrant-wannabe.

7. Ron19 says

A few years ago, when everybody was trying (and not succeeding) to find out who this Obama guy was, somebody said he was like a blank slate, and you could write any description of him you wanted, and there it would be in white and black, until somebody else came along, erased the writing, and put up some new writing.

It seemed like what each writer wrote was the truth about who Obama is, and yet they contradicted or discounted each other’s writing.  That still seems to be the case.

Obama is like the jackass and the blind men.  They didn’t know what to expect, so one touched his face, and said he was a big smile.  Another touched his side, and said no, it is a wall.  A third blind man touched his leg, and said ”I know! He is a sapling tree!”  The fourth sniffed near the base of his tail, and said that he was a bad smell.

Obama is whatever he wants you to think he is, at that moment.  Evidence of that is what he says to the nation, what he says to special interest groups, and what he says to individuals in private.

What is Obama?  There is somebody and there are some things there, but we can’t see them.  As Arnie’s teammate said in The Predator, ”I fear no man, and I am afraid.”

8. Jose says

Wah!

Since 90% of Americans and 75% of NRA members supported more gun control, how could this have possibly happened?  Or maybe somebody was lying about those numbers, too.

The NRA is some industry lobby group?  If the NRA was a state, it would rank #27 by population!

Overall I find all of his outbursts inapproprite from the Gates/Crowley beer fest to “If I had a son….” to a more recent comment regarding the Gosnell trial, “Well, I’m familiar with it. I can’t comment on it because it’s an active trial.”

Never send a boy to do a man’s job.

10. GingerB says

I appreciate this post because I can no longer watch/listen to this President.  I do acknowledge the need to keep up with the latest outrage and for some reason seeing it in print is more tolerable.  I still can imagine the petulant tone and the angry expression but somehow, it doesn’t affect me as much. I really don’t want to spend the next four years being angry and frustrated.

Marica, point taken!
    Michael Adams – I agree with you to a point. The Catholic Church went through a similar time leading up to the Reformation, but it healed itself on the efforts of those that stayed within the Church. The Protestants, meanwhile, helped to keep the Roman Catholics honest by forcing change. I know many ECUSA (or “The Episcopal Church”) members, including a best friend who is an Episcopal priest, who are absolutely opposed to and appalled by what has been happening to the national church.
    However, I consider myself first and foremost Anglican, which is a “bridge” between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism (all part of “one holy catholic and apostolic church”). The bulk of the Anglican Church is in Asia and Africa. American Episcopalians make up only a tiny and declining sliver of the Anglican community.
    For the record, though, our parish is split about 50:50 between Liberals and conservatives. There is an unwritten rule that no politics are permitted in the pulpit.

12. JohnC says

There are two kinds of gun control advocates; The ‘low information’ and the ‘true believer.’

The ‘low information’ gun control advocates don’t really know anything about guns. They just repeat whatever sound bite or pithy factoid they’ve heard lately. They are either scared of guns or simply don’t like them, don’t know why anyone would want to own a real gun, and wish guns would just go away. While they may not necessarily intend for everyone’s guns to be confiscated they would most likely say ‘Well, it’s probably for the best,’ and go along with it.

The ‘true believer’ gun control advocates have one simple goal: To make the private possession of any firearm a felony. Period. They want to confiscate every gun not controlled by the government. Some simply hate guns while others see privately held guns as an ‘impediment’ to some other goal or plan. They will take as many years as necessary to achieve this goal, decades even. They are nothing if not patient. They will never stop. When they grow too old to continue they will pass on the job to the next generation of ‘true believers.’

This bill’s defeat is simply a battle in an ongoing war.

Gun rights advocates must remain forever vigilant.

13. MacG says

Obama decried the lobbyists for LYING about the gun registry saying the bill’s text says that a registry was not permitted.  Then why did the most transparent office ever not direct us to the transparent online bill prior to the vote to ‘out’ those liars?

I believe that Obama and his fellow travelers had a bad week all around. They only thing that we can be certain of is that, instead of using their setbacks as a period of reflection, they will instead double down.

15. barbtheevilgenius says

Spartacus, since at least one woman in Ohio bragged about voting multiple times, and I believe one of her relatives did also, I really have no way of knowing if this government was elected by the people — at least, fairly elected.

16. Spartacus says

Actually, in response to the original question of the post, one item stopped rolling around in my head and clicked into place:
    A bit less angry and accusatory than Barack, and with a hint of ironic humor (maybe), but is it not somewhere in the neighborhood?

barbtheevilgenius — Good point, but you wouldn’t really want him to have to start saying, “I won (maybe)” instead of simply “I won,” would you?  Poor guy has enough to deal with already without having to re-examine five decades of life and pick the dishonesty out of the recipe.

You could keep your doctor if you liked him under Obama care too.

There wouldn’t be any death panels or rationed euthanasia either in Obamaca.

There is no America or Americans, when only Obamacans in Obamaca remain.

“The simple fact is that Congress, despite intense political and media pressure, responded to their constituents.”

For now. They will soon be blacklisted and replaced by loyal members of the Left.

Those people who didn’t give a damn what the Tea Party or anyone else said about their policies. For it was not up to the people to decide what those at Washington were born to rule.

1. Thursday morning links…

Ten Reasons Kids Leave the Church Global warming causing huge storms on Mars The Top 5 Most Irritating Terms In Evolution Reporting Nanny Bloomberg very pissed that his $ can’t buy the US Senate Is it time to end ethanol vehicle fuel mandates…