I am losing patience with idio . . . er, progressives on my Facebook page

Normally, when I see the usual liberal talking points on my Facebook page, I try to ignore them lest I damage my blood pressure.  Today, though, I got a wall of stupid.  I’ve already written here about the profound ignorance that lies behind the progressive masses’ repeated claim that Obamacare is the “law of the land” and that the Republicans can do nothing.  Aside from being grossly hypocritical coming from a party that refuses to enforce the nation’s immigration laws, it’s also ignorant.  The House has the power of the purse precisely because, as a representative body with a two-year turnover, it is the best reflection of the will of the people at any given moment.

I probably could have tolerated that stupidity if I hadn’t also gotten a boatload of dumb about the gun shots fired in Washington, D.C. today.  Early reports indicated that a driver who tried to slam into the White House was the shooter.  Instantly, people went on their anti-gun tirades.  Of course, when the dust settled, it turned out that the only shooters were the cops and that the person driving the car had a long history of mental illness.   (Warning:  site has autoplay video.)  When I passed this information on to the Lefties claiming that guns were at the root of this, at least two of them made the identical risible argument:  Even though the gal didn’t have a gun, she’s still a poster child for gun control, because she could have had a gun.

Honestly!  How in the world can you counter that kind of monomania?  It transcends reason and fact, and is an article of faith as profound as the Democrats’ historic belief that blacks are an inferior race who need either slavery or government welfare to function.

Given this type of irrational anti-gun lunacy, I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn that a Phoenix-area police officer was asked not to wear his uniform when he picked his child up from elementary school, because parents were frightened by his gun.

I love Ace’s take on this story.  The article that originally reported the story presented the school’s point of view:

A district spokeswoman told the station that “some parents” voiced concern about seeing a fully armed police officer on the school’s campus. The spokeswoman apologized that Urkov perhaps took the discussion the wrong way.

“It was not the intent of the principal to offend him,” the spokeswoman said.

To which Ace provided the only response possible:

Yes yes yes yes yes. He took it the wrong way. It’s on him. He didn’t understand your intent. He’s got the problem; not you.

Of course you don’t have a problem. Hysteria is not only natural, it’s preferable.

Shall we ban Cowboy Hats next? I mean: Cowboys. They carry six-shooters.

Comments

Once you accept that idiots=evil in this context, you will be on the next level.

Some people are evil masterminds, but most Democrats are cannonfodder and thus more accurately termed zombies. Not the necromancer, but the thing the necromancer raised and now controls.

2. JKB says

Hey, Obama makes the federal government come off as a creepy stalker, one woman takes it literally.

As for Obamacare, the law.  Well, I remember lots of effort to defund the Iraq war, and that was authorized with overwhelming bipartisan support.  And, Obama has already unilaterally subverted the Obamacare law as it was enacted.

BTW, this cartoon at the London Daily Mail purports to be about the shutdown but appears to be business as usual in the Oval Office

Mac on… The US Government shutdown | Mail Online

A friend of mine who lives down the street has slowly returned to sanity over the years, thanks to a sweet but steely conservative wife, and his own good engineering mind. He just sent me this quote, allegedly said off the record by Vladimir Putin:

“Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, shits on the board, and then struts around like it won the game.”

4. jj says

With regard to the cop in uniform picking up his kid:

In the first place, God made idiots.  That was for practice.  Then  he made school boards.
    - Mark Twain

5. Libby says

Telling a police officer that he shouldn’t wear his uniform is insane. Would they say this to a fireman because he uses an axe, or a doctor/nurse/dentists/EMT because he uses scary medical instruments? Not worth asking if a military dad would get the same treatment.
    A commenter at Ace rightly pointed out that this is likely because the school lacks any men in authority positions; schools have become feminized to a ridiculous degree.

6. Matt_SE says

Libs are impervious to arguments because it is them, being opposed by extremists. What they can’t rationalize is when they get smacked down by reality. You can’t argue with reality…because it is, by definition, real.
    When Obamacare collapses, it will become clear to too many people that it was flawed. Libs won’t be able to cover that up.

Matt_SE, good point. But I fear that even when Obamacare collapses, our leftist friends will trot out the same old arguments they make on behalf of Communism: It wasn’t properly tried/they didn’t give it a chance/if Obama-Stalin had only known he would have set it right/if only Trotsky-Bush hadn’t sabotaged the program. Etc., etc.

8. Michael Adams says

So, let me see whether I can understand this. What we had three years ago was normal, but wanting to go back to it is extreme?
    And another thing. Who lied to me about Obamacare?  I read the damned bill, all twenty two hundred pages of it, unlike most of Congress. Lloyed Doggett, one of Austin’s Congresscritters, made the tour, the summer before it was passed, and declared that a rent a mob, backed by person or persons unknown, was showing  up at the “Town Hall” meetings and all asking the same questions. He claimed not to know where we had gotten our questions, but they were always the same. We read the bill, you lying sack of Obama! I never got a chance to shout that at him. The only such gathering I was able to attend was packed.  Several of us strolled around outside, and looked at all the chartered buses on the street between the First Methodist Church and the capitol, the ones with all those Dallas County license plates and Dallas company names. Rent a mobs, you say?

9. MacG says

Of course and God forbid a shooter show up at an elementary school…Now it dawns on me why they asked him not carry.  They have a gun free zone and can’t explain why it is ok for some to carry but not others. A dichotomy that might crush their little brains. I mean the kids could handle it obviously :)

10. ripple says

That would be “losing patience”. The frequent misspelling of the word “lose” and its forms by people who really should know better is one of my personal pet peeves on the internet.

• says

Thanks for bringing that typo to my attention, ripple. Usually my typos come about because I’m rushed. “Lose” and “Loose,” however, live in my dyslexia zone. They simply look the same to me until someone points out the difference. It’s hit and miss whether I chose the right one. “Saw” and “was,” and “for” and “from” are also challenging words that I don’t distinguish well.

I try to stay as far away from Facebook as possible. I look at it with same level of distaste that Eurystheus must have felt when he looked at the ages-old accumulation of stools, scat, and cow patties in the Augean stables. It would take a Hercules—which I assuredly am not—to clean Facebook out.

Nor do I think you should be a Hercules, Book, not even a mini one. You’re needed here and on Mr. Conservative. Besides, when you lie down with dogs, you rise up with fleas.

“It was not the intent of the principal to offend him,” the spokeswoman said.

People often say stupid things that they don’t think about.  I should be surprised that a spokeswoman, on the job, speaking with official capacity, would utter such meaningless blather, but then again, a lot of people these days aren’t taking their jobs very seriously or performing them in a manner dedicated to old-fashioned concepts such as quality.

But I do wonder about the actual facts surrounding this.  I respect “The Law”, and I do believe if you respect The Law in general, you have to follow the laws in detail, no matter what you think of any individual idiotic law passed by Congress or locally, or endorsed by John Roberts. :-)    Of course I also agree with civil disobedience, but that involves deliberately breaking the law AND accepting the punishment for doing so.

The school *is* a gun-free zone, legally, and that police officer was not on duty.   If I cannot bring a gun onto the property, why would he be able to?   I don’t know the details of the law, but if he inadvertently violated the law as the stupid law is written, I’ve got no problem with people complaining about it.  If I’m going to complain about Obama violating the law of ObamaCare as it was written and passed by Congress – and Obama clearly has violated it in outrageous manners – then what principle am I standing on that would allow me to tell this police office that he gets to violate the law, that that’s perfectly ok by me?  I, like Obama, will pick and choose which laws I think should be enforced and which should not?

Assuming, as I said, that he did actually violate the law as it was written, of course.

I felt the same way about the guy renting a store in a mall, where the owner of the mall was able to legally declare the mall a gun-free zone.  The renter was held up in a robbery by three men, and he pulled out a gun (a shotgun I believe) and fired it above their heads, causing them to flee.  The last I heard, the mall owner was getting him prosecuted and punished for breaking the law.  A lot of conservatives are on the side of the store proprietor, but I’m not.  He agreed to continue to operate in that mall, and is subject to the law, and that gun is an act of civil disobedience, and its use – actually its presence – in fact does require punishment.   It doesn’t matter how stupid I think the law is, nor does it matter that given the choice between shopping at a gun=free mall, one allowing concealed carry, and one allowing open-carry, I’ll choose the open-carry mall every time myself, and you wouldn’t catch me dead (ahem) in the gun-free mall, given the choice.

I also want to say that every law that’s out there and is as ridiculous as this one ought to be repealed or changed!

But if that were the case, then I wouldn’t be subject to insane travesties such as ObamaCare.  And the national government would be only about 25% of its current size and power.

If I got my way about every idiotic, insane, stupid, and outrageous law.

Mike: I agree the store owner should abide by the rules of the property owner.  But, that should be a matter of contract…subject to civil, not criminal, law.  Maybe BW can clarify this for us.

The guy wasn’t smart about his protection, either — if the gun needed to be fired, then over their heads was not the right move.  If it didn’t need to be fired, he should have simply let them know that the first shot he fired would be at the chest of the most threatening one of them…..he might be quietly running his shop in the mall, had he been wiser.