“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.” – President Barack Hussein Obama
I posted this as a comment to Book’s previous post, but have now posted it independently as a challenge to all of us Bookworm salon aficionados.
Here’s the premise: virtually all the political violence that has happened in America as come from people associated with the Democrat and/or the Left.
Here’s my list thus far (continuous updating):
DEMOCRAT /LEFT – LINKED VIOLENCE
- Mass. Sen. Charles Sumner beaten by S. Carolina Rep. Preston Brooks over perceived insults made in speech by Brooks (1856).
- John Wilkes Booth (anti-Republican Democrat) assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- Southern night riders and the KKK during Reconstruction and into the mid-1900s. (Democrats) – question: do we count each of the lynchings as separate acts of violence?
- Chicago Haymarket riot (1886)
- Pres. McKinley’s 1901 assassination by Leon Frank Czolgosz (Leftwing anarchist)
- Sedition Act of 1918 by Woodrow Wilson (Progressive Democrat)
- Assassination attempt on FDR, killing Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak, by Guiseppe Zangara in 1933 (left-wing anarchist)
- FDR’s internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII (Democrat progressive)
- FALN attack against Pres. Harry Truman (communist)
- Sheriff Bull Connors, Gov. George Wallace (Democrats)
- John Kennedy’s assassin Lee Harvey Oswald (communist)
- Pres. Johnson’s “War on Poverty”
- 1968 Democrat Convention
- Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan (leftwing Palestinian supporter)
- Sarah Jane Moore’s attempted assassination of Pres. Gerald Ford
- Berkeley People’s Park riot in 1969 (campus socialists, communists and anarchists)
- Students for a Democratic Society aka SDS (communist)
- Bombing (1970) of Math Center at University of Wisconsin-Madison (anti-war communists)
- Symbionese Liberation Army (communists)
- American Indian Movement (AIM) killing of FBI agents at Wounded Knee (socialist American Indian activists)
- The Weathermen, incl. Dohrn and Ayers (communist)
- Puerto Rican terrorist group FALN bombings (communist)
- Black Panthers (Left-wing socialist/communist)
- James Jones of Jonestown fame (apostolic socialism)
- Earth Liberation Front (ELF)
- Attack on Branch Davidians (Janet Reno, Clinton Administration)
- Ted Kaczynski – Unabomber (leftwing anarchist and environmental fanatic, Gore acolyte)
- Left-wing violence, destruction and physical assaults at 1999 G-20 meeting in Seattle.
- Attack on Washington, D.C. Holocaust Memorial by James Wenneker von Brunn (anti-U.S. socialist sympathizer)
- Left-wing violence, destruction, physical assaults and weapons convictions at 2008 Republican Convention in Minneapolis.
- Joe Stack, Austin IRS bomber (anti-Republican, anti-capitalist, anti-wealthy people)
- Physical attacks on conservative speakers at university campuses
- Multiple physical attacks against Tea Party rallies by SEIU and others (2009).
- Shooting of pro-life demonstrator James Pouillon in Owosso, MI (2009)
- Physical assault by S. Carolina Rep. Bob Etheridge against student, caught on video.
- Discovery Center attack and hostage-taking by James Lee in Sept. 2010 (leftwing environmentalist)
REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE – LINKED VIOLENCE
- John Brown’s attack on Harper’s Ferry (?)
- Attacks on abortion clinics and murders and attempted murders of abortion providers (conservative Christian group-affiliated (?) individuals)
- Firearm attack by Jim D. Adkisson against Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, claiming opposition to its policies (2008)
- 1996 Centennial Olympic Park bombing by Eric Robert Rudolph (see “attacks on abortion clinics” above).
Please delete, amend or add-to the list as you see fit.
Or, let’s have even more fun: how about a comparable list of CONSERVATIVE acts of political violence?
We shall then be able to offer two lists for posterity.
Comments and contributions? Please make them as specific as possible.
I have broken these out into two lists and will make additions as they come in.
OK…I’m convinced. I’ve taken the Tuscon, Ariz. shooting off of the “Left” column.Email This Post To A Friend
26 Responses to “Political violence: from whence does it emanate”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.