“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.” – President Barack Hussein Obama
I posted this as a comment to Book’s previous post, but have now posted it independently as a challenge to all of us Bookworm salon aficionados.
Here’s the premise: virtually all the political violence that has happened in America as come from people associated with the Democrat and/or the Left.
Here’s my list thus far (continuous updating):
DEMOCRAT /LEFT – LINKED VIOLENCE
- Mass. Sen. Charles Sumner beaten by S. Carolina Rep. Preston Brooks over perceived insults made in speech by Brooks (1856).
- John Wilkes Booth (anti-Republican Democrat) assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- Southern night riders and the KKK during Reconstruction and into the mid-1900s. (Democrats) – question: do we count each of the lynchings as separate acts of violence?
- Chicago Haymarket riot (1886)
- Pres. McKinley’s 1901 assassination by Leon Frank Czolgosz (Leftwing anarchist)
- Sedition Act of 1918 by Woodrow Wilson (Progressive Democrat)
- Assassination attempt on FDR, killing Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak, by Guiseppe Zangara in 1933 (left-wing anarchist)
- FDR’s internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII (Democrat progressive)
- FALN attack against Pres. Harry Truman (communist)
- Sheriff Bull Connors, Gov. George Wallace (Democrats)
- John Kennedy’s assassin Lee Harvey Oswald (communist)
- Pres. Johnson’s “War on Poverty”
- 1968 Democrat Convention
- Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan (leftwing Palestinian supporter)
- Sarah Jane Moore’s attempted assassination of Pres. Gerald Ford
- Berkeley People’s Park riot in 1969 (campus socialists, communists and anarchists)
- Students for a Democratic Society aka SDS (communist)
- Bombing (1970) of Math Center at University of Wisconsin-Madison (anti-war communists)
- Symbionese Liberation Army (communists)
- American Indian Movement (AIM) killing of FBI agents at Wounded Knee (socialist American Indian activists)
- The Weathermen, incl. Dohrn and Ayers (communist)
- Puerto Rican terrorist group FALN bombings (communist)
- Black Panthers (Left-wing socialist/communist)
- James Jones of Jonestown fame (apostolic socialism)
- Earth Liberation Front (ELF)
- Attack on Branch Davidians (Janet Reno, Clinton Administration)
- Ted Kaczynski – Unabomber (leftwing anarchist and environmental fanatic, Gore acolyte)
- Left-wing violence, destruction and physical assaults at 1999 G-20 meeting in Seattle.
- Attack on Washington, D.C. Holocaust Memorial by James Wenneker von Brunn (anti-U.S. socialist sympathizer)
- Left-wing violence, destruction, physical assaults and weapons convictions at 2008 Republican Convention in Minneapolis.
- Joe Stack, Austin IRS bomber (anti-Republican, anti-capitalist, anti-wealthy people)
- Physical attacks on conservative speakers at university campuses
- Multiple physical attacks against Tea Party rallies by SEIU and others (2009).
- Shooting of pro-life demonstrator James Pouillon in Owosso, MI (2009)
- Physical assault by S. Carolina Rep. Bob Etheridge against student, caught on video.
- Discovery Center attack and hostage-taking by James Lee in Sept. 2010 (leftwing environmentalist)
REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE – LINKED VIOLENCE
- John Brown’s attack on Harper’s Ferry (?)
- Attacks on abortion clinics and murders and attempted murders of abortion providers (conservative Christian group-affiliated (?) individuals)
- Firearm attack by Jim D. Adkisson against Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church, claiming opposition to its policies (2008)
- 1996 Centennial Olympic Park bombing by Eric Robert Rudolph (see “attacks on abortion clinics” above).
Please delete, amend or add-to the list as you see fit.
Or, let’s have even more fun: how about a comparable list of CONSERVATIVE acts of political violence?
We shall then be able to offer two lists for posterity.
Comments and contributions? Please make them as specific as possible.
I have broken these out into two lists and will make additions as they come in.
OK…I’m convinced. I’ve taken the Tuscon, Ariz. shooting off of the “Left” column.