Saturday night round-up (the moron edition) and Open Thread

Victorian posy of pansiesI did something today that I very seldom do: I went clothes shopping for myself. I spend an inordinate amount of time shopping for everyone else in the family, but between shopping fatigue, denial about my post-baby figure (although I’ll concede I was too thin pre-babies), and the ridiculous amount of money clothes cost nowadays even on sale, there’s no pleasure for me in the task.

My husband also reverts to totally stereotyped behavior. How stereotyped? Well, Dorothy Sayers was clearly writing about him way back in 1937:

“Why, it takes a man months and months to reconcile himself to a new hat. And just when you’re preparing to send it to the jumble sale, he says, ‘That’s rather a nice hat you’ve got on, where did you get it?’ And you say, ‘My dear Henry, it’s the one I had last year and you said made me look like an organ-grinder’s monkey.’ My brother-in-law says that every time, and it does make my sister so wild.”

– Sayers, Dorothy L., Gaudy Night (Kindle Locations 904-908). Open Road Media.

As if he’d read the script, Mr. Bookworm was suddenly much taken both with my decade-old jeans (telling me the holes were “fashionable”) and with the shirt that, when I bought it two years ago, he told me made me look as if I was dressing in a sack.  Men!

Mr. Bookworm’s new-found fondness for my old clothes notwithstanding, I do not find holes fashionable.   I find them disreputable.  So off I went, found a sympathetic saleswoman at Nordstrom, got my older child, the one with fashion sense, to help me out, and bought several new clothes and a couple of new pairs of shoes.  Some will go back but most will stay with me.  I cannot go around my solidly upper-middle-class Marin neighborhood looking like the bag lady’s poorer sister.

After the harrowing experience of confronting myself in the dressing room mirror, spending more money on clothes in a day than I’ve spent in the past several years put together, and convincing my husband that the worn-out fashions of the last decade can use an update, I’m so ready to rest myself with political and social commentary.  Here goes….

** 1 **

You’re probably au courant about this one already, but the Palestinians are back at it again, recycling the dead from other wars to suit their own propaganda purposes:

Hamas recycles dead people

We see the crude trickery, but the Muslim, Leftist, and Neo-Nazi masses in Europe just see something to feed their already rabid antisemitism.

** 2 **

Among other things, the tragedy of MH17 reveals the horror of morons with hyper-destructive missiles.

** 3 **

I called it inappropriate laughter. Charles C. W. Cooke calls in insouciance. No matter the label, there’s something dreadfully wrong with Obama’s responses to the worldwide calamities that have been mounting during the second half of his presidency.

I also don’t like the word “insouciance,” which I think better applies to the incredibly courageous spy keeping his calm and humor even while facing discovery as he works to save his country. Obama’s cavalier attitude and endless ill-timed guffaws have nothing to do with a stiff upper lip and everything to do with derangement, denial, or unseemly delight as he presides over America’s downfall.

Perhaps, based solely upon his response to the MH17 attack, the right word for Obama should be moron, but I still think even that’s too kind.

** 4 **

As their final revenge for having lost the Revolutionary War, the British are writing breathless puff pieces about Hillary Clinton. Indeed, the latest example is so breathless and puffy it’s actually funny:

Throughout my interview with Hillary, she is fiercely engaged; her eyes—sparkly, wide, alert—remain firmly focused on me. She is warm, considered, talks slowly and thoughtfully and uses—consciously or not—tactics that put me at ease. She frequently answers my queries with the response: “Now, that’s a great question”, she litters her answers with colloquialisms that put us on a level and, listening back, I am struck by the amount of times she says, “You know”. And of course there’s that charming laugh. I can see that these natural skills make her the perfect diplomat, the ultimate leader.

Perhaps it’s a parody, but it seems to be played straight. Incidentally, when I hear people repeatedly say “you know,” I automatically deduct a few of the speaker’s IQ points. I know that’s unkind, because it’s a verbal twitch unrelated to intelligence, but I hate verbal twitches. (For an antidote, see Weird Al’s “Word Crimes.”)

** 5 **

And if you admire Weird Al, as I do, he went on Fox (bravo!) to talk about grammar and internet marketing:

** 6 **

The way the media talks about Ted Kennedy, you’d think he was a saint. T. Becket Adams reminds us that, in fact, he was a sinner of the blackest kind. Forty-five years ago, what he did went beyond manslaughter, which would have been the charge had Mary Jo Kopechne’s died the moment the car entered into the water.  Instead, he embraced murder, because he deliberately left her alive in the car, and allowed her to die, slowly, agonizingly, and alone.

** 7 **

A few hours ago, I was about to write “I’d like to boycott Chase Bank for prying into employee’s personal beliefs, but I can’t, because I don’t have a Chase account.” Then, my husband tossed me an envelope from Chase saying “You need to do this” — with “this” being opening a checking and savings account so as to get $400. Mr. Bookworm, of course, supports all actions the gay rights movement perceives as necessary to advance the gay rights movement, so my arguments against Chase on oppression grounds are unavailing.

I think I actually will open the accounts. In six weeks, I’ll get $400. Then I’ll close the accounts, explaining why. That would be a rather lovely form of boycott if, as I hope, Chase manages to earn less than $400 on my money during that time.

** 8 **

Bjorn Lomborg accepts the CO2 anthropogenic climate change narrative. However, because he is not a moron who wants to the First World revert to a pre-industrial standard of living, he is willing to accept that the projections were wrong and that climate change is nowhere near the disaster promised.

Alternatively, the Left could be invested in their view of climate change simply because they are, in fact, morons.

** 9 **

Remember this:  The GOP is not conservative. Some of its leading lights were behind the shameful attacks on Mississippi conservative Chris McDaniels. They were more interested in getting senile Thad Cochran reelected as their yes-man than in having an honest election, reducing racial tensions, and seeing a true conservative voice in the Senate.

** 10 **

The purpose behind lampooning an enemy is to make the enemy seem vulnerable. That’s why a once-patriotic Hollywood worked overtime to create farces aimed at belittling the Nazis and the Japanese.

With that in mind, while I admire those who have created a satirical magazine about ISIS, I’m not sure what good it will do. After all, nobody who’s fighting ISIS will be reading it. For the Christians being purged in Iraq, a little humor in the West is irrelevant.  On the other hand, of course, it can’t hurt to satirize ISIS, remind everyone that it’s made of men who can bleed and die like the rest of us.

** 11 **

I have repeatedly cited here God’s exhortation to “Choose Life.” The DemProg obsession with death — abortions, euthanasia, death panels, etc. — is one of the reasons I’ve turned against it politically. The road that the DemProgs are traveling ultimately leads to the nihilism that is Hamas.

Hamas has raised a generation of people who see death as their greatest accomplishment, provided that they kill Jews along the way. On the subject of Hamas, David Goldman agrees with me, which means I’m really smart on this issue. Moreover, he says that Israel is the only nation in the Middle East, not to mention one of few nations in the world, to choose life.

** 12 **

The wonderful Evan Sayet has a new website. And on his new website, he has a very good post explaining why Jews vote Democrat. As he sees it, due to centuries of being persecuted by people who believed in Christianity, Jews have foolishly concluded that they’ll be better served by people — i.e., Leftists — who believe nothing at all.

Of course, as we’ve discussed here, just because one doesn’t believe in God doesn’t mean one doesn’t have a belief system. Indeed, history has shown us that there is no more rabid believer than the unbeliever.

What I said above does not do justice to Sayet’s entire post. Please read the whole thing for insights into the sad fact that some of the world’s smartest people consistently engage in one of the world’s most foolhardy and dangerous practices, i.e., putting faith in the Left.

** 13 **

I’m sure I’ve stated in a recent post my belief that the problem with radical Islamists is that they’re good at killing, but not at governing (which doesn’t keep them from trying to govern for years, decades, or even centuries, even as the mounds of bodies pile up on their watch). Daveed Gartenstein-Ross and Amichai Magen make exactly the same point, only with actual data and analysis.

However, as long as their governance involves waging war solely on themselves, I don’t see why we can’t just stand back and watch the attrition happen. Unfortunately, hundreds, thousands, and even tens of thousands of innocents will have to die, but the sad historical fact is that, when Islam is involved, whether it’s fighting itself or us, the innocents are always the first in line to go.

** 14 **

You know it, I know it, and others are figuring it out: A lot of so-called ADHD arises, not because of pesticides, climate change, or Bugs Bunny cartoons, but because kids, through no fault of their own, are forced to sit still all the time. Yes, they need to learn how to sit still, but they also have to move.

** 15 **

A retired border control agent gives some insight into the purpose behind immigration laws and the terrible damage that follows if the government refuses to protect its own border:

** 16 **

Nobody has paid much attention to the Z Street case, a lawsuit that predates the eruption of the IRS scandal. Back in 2010, Z Street was a lone entity claiming that the IRS was deliberately discriminating against it because it’s position regarding Israel (it supports it) was antithetical to Obama’s position. Now, four years later, Z Street is finally getting discovery in that case, and this discovery may be the one pebble that, when moved, breaks open the entire dam. Here’s hoping.

** 17 **

When the media talks about Israel, it lies. It’s that simple, and the more established and elite the media (think New York Times and Washington Post), the worse the lies it tells. Here’s a handy-dandy cheat sheet explaining the 8 biggest lies. Pull this out next time one of your Leftist friends posts an NYT or WaPo article hostile to Israel.

** 18 **

If you’re in Chicago this Tuesday:

Rally to support Israel in Chicago

** 19 **

Pictures:

I have no idea what a libertarian is

Putin in danger from Obama

Holder's reflexes

Comments

** 2 **

The Soviet Union initially denied knowledge of the incident, but later admitted the shootdown, claiming that the aircraft was on a spy mission. The Politburo said it was a deliberate provocation by the United States to test the Soviet Union’s military preparedness, or even to provoke a war. The White House accused the Soviet Union of obstructing search and rescue operations. The Soviet Military suppressed evidence sought by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) investigation, notably the flight data recorders which were eventually released eight years later after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

September 1, 1983 – KAL 007

2. JKB says

The other day I was going to use the definition of fascism in a comment. So I used the Apple dictionary. Unfortunately, Apple doesn’t know what fascism is or was:

fascism |ˈfaSHˌizəm| (also Fascism)
    noun
    an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.
    • (in general use) extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice.
    The term Fascism was first used of the totalitarian right-wing nationalist regime of Mussolini in Italy (1922–43), and the regimes of the Nazis in Germany and Franco in Spain were also fascist. Fascism tends to include a belief in the supremacy of one national or ethnic group, a contempt for democracy, an insistence on obedience to a powerful leader, and a strong demagogic approach.

3. JKB says

This weekend I listened to a podcast with Philip Hamburger regarding his book, ‘Is Administrative Law Unlawful?’ It was very interesting tracing the history back to Medieval extra legal courts instituted by various monarchs for their purposes. Well, the regulatory state isn’t going away anytime soon, but I think that people are considering it rather than just accepting it, is good.

I am increasingly starting to think that the administrative state is part of a larger, perhaps unplanned by most, effort to roll back modernity. The DemProgs didn’t want a modern world where Ideology was separate from the Political, Economic and Social. They just wanted to usurp Religion, specifically Christianity. Now, they want to roll back human progression into free men. Men and women free from tribe and village, who trade with strangers regardless of their place in society and the edicts of religious/ideological “leaders”. It explains their war on profit, or trading for mutual benefit that doesn’t have non-monetary implications such as binding families, forming allegiance, etc.

I’ve also come to see the administrative state as part of the DemProg, perhaps the DC “elite in general, efforts to impose a caste system where you are defined by birth and blood. They’ve been fairly successful with Blacks and recently we’ve seen the idea of being born into DC leadership bandied about. We see it in Hollywood as well as more and more “actors” are seemingly born into the entertainment caste, and we see the decline in the quality of the product. Of course, most of us here would be deemed “untouchables”.

Here’s the link to the page with the Podcast.

4. cerumendoc says

To expand on Evan Sayet’s comments are observations not on conservatives versus liberals, but on the affinity to the Jacksonian tradition. In is the Jacksonians’ that populate our armed forces and the ones that will, again, bleed and die to fix the messes that Obama has created by the bushel.

To understand this point, I have to refer to Steve Pressfield’s book, The Lion Gate’s and these two articles on the Jacksonian tradition:

and

And, so, the affinity towards the Jewish tradition by America’s Christians is born of any understanding by our Founding Fathers that to be Christian was to be intimately familiar with the entire Bible and the fact that the New Testament did not stand in isolation but flowed from the Old Testament.

But, the affinity by American Christians comes increasingly from the Jacksonian tradition and the new Jewish archetype that came of age after the 1967 Arab-Israeli War; the Warrior Jew.

The Jacksonian tradition of is based on a commonality of beliefs and that fact that commonality has to be proven in act and deed. Moreover, until that commonality is proven, there is no assumption that someone unknown is to be trusted–as is the world of Islam. Seriously, with the Syrian civil war and the rise of ISIS who indeed are your friends and, increasingly, do you really have any friends among the followers of Allah.

But, with Israel, you now have a group of people that share a commonality of belief and a willingness to die fighting on their feet rather then on their knees in a ditch begging for mercy. Brothers in belief and brothers in arms.

5. lee says

12:

A friend of mine on Facebook posted the Sayet link, and I so wanted to comment. But I have a number of Upper West Side Jewish friend there, and I don’t think they’d’ve specified what I wanted to say.

Most every Jewish friend I had when I lived in NYC was more terrified of Christianity than pretty much any thing else. (BTW, I lived there in the mid to late nineties.) I’d make them uncomfortable because I felt there was some stuff to be learned… And to borrow. (Even if it was add dull and not really Christian, like using Christmas tree ornaments and lights to decorate a sukkah.) My friends wouldn’t even consider attending a performance of Godspell or Jesus Christ Superstar–”stealth proselytization.”

Their fear was a little… Overblown. It was almost add if they expected the Jehovah’s Witness knocking on their for to take them hostage, hold them at knifepoint until they converted, after which the JW would trumpet their victory from the biggest billboard in Times Square.

Yes, I know history. Blood libels. the Inquisition. Even as recently as a hundred years ago in Israel, Christian missionaries would provide charity to starving Jews only if they agreed to convert to Christianity. But, today, er, twenty years ago? At what was the cusp of a new millennium… In the United States? Puh-leeze. Most Christens are noting like Jehovah’s Witnesses! And even a JW wouldn’t do force someone to concert at knifepoint.

In the fifteen years that have passed since I left NYC, a lot has happened. But I’d say that Christianity has become the least of any Jew’s concern these days….

But judging from Facebook, my UWS friend still worry the most about: Christianity.

So I think Sayet has hit the mail on the head.

• says

“Their fear was a little… Overblown. It was almost add if they expected the Jehovah’s Witness knocking on their for to take them hostage”

They are exactly the same as weaklings all over the world afraid of their shadow. They were not the ones that kept people alive from the Nazi clutch. They weren’t the ones that rebelled in Warsaw Ghetto. They weren’t the ones that taught the Israeli defense forces or fought with them.

They were cowards, First, Foremost, Forever.

Re Jews, Christians, and Democrats: there is a wonderful book by Mary Antin, who came to the US from Russia with her family in the late 1800s. She remembered seeing pogroms led by priests carrying crucifixes, and at first in the US she would shudder when going by a church. But later, she became acquainted with some of the priests and came to respect the work they were doing among the poor.

Review here, for anyone interested:

I may have mentioned this before, but I read about a small town in Russia where, at the time of the German invasion of 1941, the Jewish inhabitants looked forward with eagerness to the arrival of the German troops. Apparently, the town had been occupied in the First World War, and the behavior of the Germans had then been considerably nicer than that of the local Russian administrators.

It is very dangerous to automatically assume that one’s friends and enemies at time “X” are the same as they were at time “X minus N.”

Also see my post The Phobia(s) That May Destroy America:

I am continually amazed by the level of fear, contempt, and anger that many educated/urban/upper-middle-class people demonstrate toward Christians and rural people (especially southerners.) This complex of negative emotions often greatly exceeds anything that these same people feel toward radical Islamists or dangerous rogue-state governments. I’m not a Christian myself, or really a religious person at all, but I’d think that one would be a lot more worried about people who want to cut your head off, blow you up, or at a bare minimum shut down your freedom of speech than about people who want to talk to you about Jesus (or Nascar!)

“I am continually amazed by the level of fear, contempt, and anger that many educated/urban/upper-middle-class people demonstrate toward Christians and rural people (especially southerners).”

I agree with this description except for the use of the word “educated.” (I am not criticizing the person who used it. I understand that it is a necessary part of the descriptors we use in dealing with a certain class of people.) To me, educated these days simply means credentialed, as in having served four or more years at an indoctrination mill. There, bright young people are properly molded to see the world in the crimped, reflexive, prejudiced way described above, and made ready to take their place in the tony towns and neighborhoods of elitist America.

I rarely meet an “educated” person from the upper middle-class who can carry on an intelligent conversation without soon exposing himself as a credulous, unthinking elitist. A psychologist I know thinks LBJ killed JFK. How does he know? He saw a BBC documentary once asserting that scenario. Why did he accept the premise? Because it came from the British and because he hated LBJ.

Another old friend, a writer, has fallen in love with Elizabeth Warren because he thinks she will “save America.” (I read her 11, or 12-point platform and was disgusted by the level of pandering and ignorance it revealed.) He is clueless about economics or the fascist bent of the homosexualist movement, but, by God, believing as Lizzie does sure makes him feel good.

One friend, whom I consider a hereditary atheist—he picked up his disbelief from a father whom he never challenged—told me about his recent visit to a creationist museum on a cross-country jaunt with his wife. I won’t go into the complex reasons why both of them spend so much time and energy trying to confirm their atheism, and I know they are resolutely closed to the idea of ever reconsidering their disbelief. But I do like to tweak them. After hearing them tell me about their visit to the creationist place, I gently suggested that next time they’re looking to witness the silliness of Christianity they might make an appointment with a theologian at a Catholic university and engage him in a serious discussion of belief in God. They did not understand the implication of what I was saying. Serious seeking and testing, as opposed to wading in shallow waters, simply cannot be on the agenda.

So I add “educated” to “gender” as one of those words I’ve watched become denatured over time. Thankfully, there are many wonderfully well educated people on this site, many of whom are not credentialed and almost all of whom still believe they belong to a sex, not a gender.

• jj says

Well… yeah! Anybody who has the power and inclination to set fire to your ass and keep it burning for all eternity might be a legitimate source of some apprehension, don’t you think?

• JKB says

Not if you truly believe he doesn’t exist. If instead of an atheist, you deny God, then that is different.

I don’t believe in dragons. I have no apprehension about them setting my ass on fire.

• says

Real atheists don’t worry about that. Therefore, many Leftists aren’t real atheists. Any more than they are really interested in conserving resources for Gaia. Any more than they are really pacifists. Any more than they are really anti war. What they worry is that the Left’s Death God, is weaker than the Christian God. This is paganism or a religious conflict, not an atheism skeptical reference scale. Having sold their soul to the Left’s God, they don’t want any competition like the Christian God around to make them burn in hell for supporting another god.

• jj says

Then there you go. You’re not talking about real atheists. So ‘those who claim…’ etc. are, being not real, off the point.

• Caped Crusader says

As one who lives in an area where one might see the bumper sticker, “JESUS LOVES YOU WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT”, I’ll try to get a few, if you would like to stick them on these folks bumpers to embarrass them to death.

As to their undying lack of fear of Muslim intent, while at the same fearing and loathing Christians, do you think that informing them that Muslims have a deep desire to remove the clitoris of all females at an early age, would make any impact on their thinking. I think not.

10. Caped Crusader says

Ymarsakar says

July 21, 2014 at 7:32 am

WOW !!!! SHAZAM !!! BINGO !!!
    The nail hit squarely on head with a one ton sledge hammer as well as I have ever heard it!!~
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• says

Remember back in 2003 when the Left was supposedly anti war? After a few years, I began to realize that the Left was more violent and more of a war monger than anybody else in the US or even the world. Once the wall is broken with one nail, the rest will come easier.

68% of American humans, however, prefer to blind themselves with dust and call it mana from heaven, spiritual enlightenment and credential powers. I see them all the time.

Republicans, conservatives, and US patriots let the Left or their Democrat leading members get away with a lot of things. That’s why they can slap you across the face with a rhetorical flourish and say “I don’t want to talk about it anymore” even though they were the verbal aggressor and crazy one there.

That’s why they get away with it. People let them retreat, regenerate, and build back up their forces. Just like giving ceasefires to Hamas. They’ll be back.