I’ve spent today mulling the stories about Manafort, Papadopoulos, Trump, Kevin Spacey, and Anthony Rapp. And as always, I have a few things I want to say.
Before I get to politics, let me touch upon the latest accusation out of Hollywood, the one about Kevin Spacey.
I’ve noticed that, when it comes to all the sex scandals going on, Progressives focus their entire and venom energy on the predator. Conservatives focus about 75% of their energy on the predator, and the other 25% of their energy wondering where in the Hell the parents were and what in the Hell they were thinking. I thought of that conservative focus when I read Anthony Rapp’s account of how he ended up the sole 14-year-old boy at an adult party rife with alcohol and drugs (emphasis mine):
Rapp said he encountered Spacey again at one of those post-show functions, when a 17-year-old friend from Joliet was visiting him in New York. “And he was like, ‘Hey! Hi! Come join us!'” Rapp said. Spacey then invited both boys to join him at the popular nightclub Limelight, even though, as Rapp explained, “I looked younger than 14.”
“I don’t know how— We got in through the front door,” Rapp continued. “We didn’t have to show ID. And we sat with him in some VIP area.” Rapp noted that he had no memory of being offered alcohol — “It was just a fun night just talking and hanging out,” he said — and at some point, Spacey invited him to attend a party he was hosting a few days later at his Manhattan apartment.
He went, gladly, and alone. Rapp said he honestly cannot recall what he told his mother — who died from cancer in 1997 — about the party, but he stressed that the idea of him attending a party held by an adult Broadway actor did not seem like a cause for concern. “I imagine that I might be opening my poor late mother up to some criticisms for how she parented, but, you know, it was a different era,” he said. “I went to work by myself. I would walk to the subway, and go to the theater by myself.”
When he arrived at Spacey’s apartment, Rapp quickly realized that he was the only nonadult there — which, again, did not worry him, since he so often had found himself in similar situations as a child actor. The bigger issue: “I didn’t know anyone,” he said. “And I was quickly kind of bored.”
Rapp said he ended up wandering into the bedroom, sitting on the edge of the bed, and watching TV well past midnight.
At some point, Rapp said he turned to see Spacey standing at the bedroom door. And that’s when he first realized that everyone else had left the party. They were alone.
“My memory was that I thought, Oh, everybody’s gone. Well, yeah, I should probably go home,” Rapp said. Spacey, he recalled, “sort of stood in the doorway, kind of swaying. My impression when he came in the room was that he was drunk.” Rapp doesn’t remember Spacey saying anything to him. Instead, Rapp said, “He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me.”
“He was trying to seduce me,” Rapp said. “I don’t know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.”
I appreciate Rapp defending his mother by saying it was a different time then, especially because that’s true. Children had much more room to roam before helicopter parenting became a thing. But there is a difference between allowing your 14-year-old to travel on his own from school to work to home, and being so laissez-faire that it’s perfectly okay with you when your adolescent child goes out partying late after a night’s work.
Too many parents in show business seem to be blinded by the money and the celebrity. I don’t think they deliberately abandon their children to the wolves. But I do think they lie to themselves constantly in order to keep the money rolling in and to enjoy their moments on the red carpet. [Read more…]